Author Topic: Getting your cosplay costume, props etc through airport security...  (Read 23107 times)

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
Transmute Jun posted a handy quote from the SDCC Annual on bringing cosplay weapons into convention grounds here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

However, I have another concern which comes before getting through the convention itself. I am flying to the US from overseas, and then via domestic to get to San Diego.

Specifically, I really want to get this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for my SDCC cosplay. My plan is to have it shipped to my place of stay in New York, then pack it in my check-in luggage when I fly Delta Air to San Diego. However, I don't know if it would cause problems for me when checking in at JFK, which I know is pretty strict!! (Had a bad experience in which I was detained and subjected to an invasive search even though I'm a frequent tourist just because I looked very different from my passport photo and booked a one-way ticket because I didn't have fixed plans on which state I would be returning from),

I'm also worried that the obvious shape of the weapon replica through the x-ray screening would be flagged, and I'd be subjected to a luggage search and have the item confiscated.

Another item I plan to bring in are feather wings. I understand the usual wariness regarding avian products (one time a CAKE my friend tried to pass through JFK with got trashed because it contained eggs) so I'm worried about my wings getting confiscated too.

As such, I'm wondering if other cosplayers are willing to share their experiences with bringing their costumes, weapon replicas and props into the US, or even via interstate travel. Has anyone else flying in encountered any trouble with customs, x-ray screenings or baggage checks?

Thank you!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Getting your cosplay costume, props etc through airport security...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »
I don't have experience bringing these kinds of things through customs, but I would say that if you need them and want to have them, have them shipped to your San Diego hotel, not your New York hotel. Then you can ship them home again before you leave San Diego.

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:28:21 PM »
Alternatively, if you know anyone in San Diego who would be willing to receive the shipped cosplay items for you (before con) and then arrange to pick them up from him/her, that's something to look into as well... If you really need it, I might be able to help... maybe. Ha ha.

Personally, I think that if you can avoid bringing through your cosplay weapons and props through customs, the better.  It'll be easier to just ship to someone you trust or directly to the hotel (make sure that you contact the hotel about your plans to do that and see if they'll help you).  You can also try asking a FedEx or UPS store in Downtown S.D. to see if you can ship your items there and have them hold it for you until you pick them up.  I'm not particularly familiar if you can actually do that or not, but it's worth doing some research to save you the hassle of going through customs with them.

Hope that helps! ^_^/

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip, you guys!

Unfortunately I do not know anyone in San Diego (and it's my first time visiting) so I'm really unfamiliar with the place, and I don't know if my hotel will be able to do that - in fact I'm STILL trying to get a downtown room so that's pretty much in the air. But that is a good idea inded - at least the item will be directly sent to SD and I can pick it up from there. The only risk is that I wouldn't have the time to examine or make modifications to it (what if it doesn't arrive in good condition etc) as once I arrive in San Diego I'd be busy picking up my badge and going full-on into the thick of the con.

I tried emailing the US Border Protection/Customs via their website contact but they have yet to get back to me. I have a feeling those guys are laughing over my earnest letter asking about bringing in turkey feather wings and resin/wood swords for cosplay. :P I also am really paranoid about postal services, esp when it's international so I am really hoping to be able to carry it with me on board the plane. Fingers crossed to see if I can get around this issue (legally of course!) :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »
Let us know what you find out, Dogberry! It's good to know about these things.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
Definitely good luck, and I hope all goes well, dogberry!

If you do ship it to San Diego or elsewhere in the U.S., just make sure it's packaged very well.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »
Ha!   I love this thread because I would have never thought of it until I got to airport security/customs.  I do suppose that a Klingon bat'leth would raise a few eyebrows…  :)

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
Hooray! I finally got a reply back from Customs and Border Protection's CBP Service Staff. Took them a week to get back to me, but I'm grateful they did anyways!

This was my question to them:

I am a Singaporean flying to the US from Singapore for the annual San Diego Comic-Con, I will be entering the US at JFK via Singapore Airlines, then flying Delta Air to San Diego, then leaving the US via LAX via Singapore Airlines.

I would like to know if I am allowed to bring in movie replica swords (that may be of stainless steel, but absolutely not sharp), and if it would be better to pack it inside my check-in luggage or as carry-on. I would appreciate some advice as my biggest fear is having the sword confiscated or getting into trouble at customs. I frequently holiday in the US but this is my first time bringing something like this in.

Another item that I would like to enquire for is feather angel wings.
If they are unable to fit into my check-in luggage, am I allowed to bring them along as carry-on (if my airlines allows it)? I have heard of cases where people have had huge angel wings confiscated by customs, while others going through smoothly so I thought I would confirm this with you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with these queries. I look forward to your reply.

This was the reply I received:

The airlines ultimately determine what a traveler can have with them while traveling. They may allow you to travel with knives or swords, including replicas, if they are properly packed in locked luggage that is checked for loading in the cargo area. Contact the airline you intend to travel with to find out if it is feasible to do so.

For CBP purposes, the feather wings: Goods made using bird feathers, such as pillows, comforters, feather dusters, accessories (i.e. earrings, boas, handbags with feathers, etc.), etc from countries currently experiencing an outbreak of Avian Flu are inadmissible without a permit from the Animal and Plant Inspection Service (APHIS). Bulk shipments of feathers that are not manufactured into goods from Avian Flu countries require a permit from APHIS, as well as a certificate of health for the originating country.

Thank you for contacting Customs and Border Protection's CBP INFO Center. If you have any other questions or would like clarification on this response, please feel free to contact us either by calling our toll free number 877 CBP-5511 (227-5511) or if calling from outside the United States our toll number 703-526-4200 and speak with a Public Information Officer. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 8:30am-5:00pm Eastern Time.

I guess since I do not come from a country experiencing any Avian Flu outbreaks, I should be fine. I will also be contacting my local customs department to verify this. Hope this info is of use to other foreigners or travellers looking to bring in weapons or props for SDCC.

@Chris, I didn't know what a bat'leth was and had to google it, and was really amused to come across this website of a guy detailing his process of making a "real" one here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:08:53 AM »
You didn't know what a bat'leth was? Oh, Dogberry, we need to get you watching some Star Trek...  ;)

I'm glad you got a response. I love how they're blaming the restrictions on the 'airlines'. Riiiight...

Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so if it were me I'd be shipping the weapon to your San Diego Hotel and then back home again.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
Admittedly I'd never been a fan of the whole space setting thing, and had to be cajoled into watching Star Wars by a close geek buddy. Said buddy then blackmailed/guilted/threatened me into watching Star Trek 2009 2 years back, and I have to say I really, REALLY enjoyed it, and am now rather interested in finding out more about the whole Star Trek universe, although my knowledge of it is still very little.

(Please don't shoot me for liking the series because of the movie though! I know there are hardcore Trekkies who can't stand new and curious fans like me)

I would love to do a Uhura cosplay one day, prolly for when the movie sequel is released! Only problem is finding a friend willing to be Spock. Sadly I have very very few real life friends here who are into the whole fan appreciation/geek out/cosplay thing as I am. :/  Can't blame a girl for saving up money and annual leave to fly thousands of miles to be in the company of like minded folks!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »
Oh gosh, liking a movie and then wanting to find out more about the original source? How is that a problem? And if anyone thinks it is, then they're just a little too high and mighty for me!

My kids love to play Minecraft, and they watch a podcast about the game. One of the guys who does the podcast has a Commander Riker skin for his character, and they started asking me about it, and because of that now we're all watching Star Trek: Next Generation. There's no 'rule' for how you get into something. I'm just glad they're into it!

And there is a lot of Star Trek cosplay at Comic Con. I've seen a lot of 'movie' cosplay, like this group last year:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:06 PM »
If only all fans were like you!

I've come across many elitist fans in various fandoms, and let's not even get into all those horrible shipper wars that explode all the time on LJ and Tumblr. I'm as passionate about my OTPs as the next fic writer, but that's no reason to crap over other people's.

I also don't get this 'hipster' culture and the whole "I liked this before it was famous/before Hollywood ruined it" thing. Usually when I get into a fandom, I'd be pulling out all the shots to get my friends into it, even if it's trying to get my best friend into Supernatural by appealing to the only thing that matters to her - "PLEASE WATCH IT PLEASE THE TWO MAIN ACTORS ARE REALLY HOT, OK?!"

As for Star Trek, my friend managed to convince me to give the movie a try because he knew I was crazy over Quinto and he was like "SYLAR IS SPOCK, OK? JUST WATCH IT, YOU'LL LOVE IT." ...And I did. :)

Hahaha thanks for sharing those pictures!! Man I'm always in awe of people who do body painting for cosplay. I have really sensitive skin and generally hopeless with applying makeup so I try to avoid cosplays that involve me having to paint my whole face, even if I really REAAAAAALLY wanted to do them (such as Harley Quinn, Elphaba from Wicked and Death from the Endless.)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@Chris, I didn't know what a bat'leth was and had to google it, and was really amused to come across this website of a guy detailing his process of making a "real" one here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you like the Big Bang Theory, its the weapon that Sheldon has with him when they go to confront the guy who hacked his World of Warcraft account and stole all his stuff.  Or Star Trek will work too… :)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »
Dogberry, I'm with you. If people are that high and mighty about 'I was into this before it was popular' then I'm instantly turned off. I mean really, who cares? If you can't accept that a fandom needs new members and has to grow, then you're not worth bothering with. In fact, sometimes I'm amused just watching these people freak out! ;)

And 'ruining' something is a matter of opinion. Just ask all of the Van Halen fans who can't agree on who was/is the best lead singer for that band.

If you don't want to paint your face (and I totally get that, because my skin breaks out if I put almost anything on it... I have a limited range of beauty products I use that don't do that but I can't take any variety) could you do a mask? My friend bought some of those plain white 'Venetian' style masks and painted them to match her costume. The end result was awesome!

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick reminder that this is the thread for getting through airport security with cosplays and prop weapons.  (I suspect that some of our fellow fans and forumers from overseas might need this later on, so let's try to keep it on-topic, alright?)

Thanks!