Author Topic: Books - What are you reading?  (Read 79228 times)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: Books - What are you reading?
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
Are any of these titles on your list? :)

COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL GRAPHIC NOVEL BOOK CLUBS May Books from Our Book Clubs!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
I'm now into the 7th book of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #227 on: Today at 05:42:55 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #227 on: May 31, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
For those who were interested in Artemis (Andy Weir's new book( this is the first chapter.

Offline BunkeyBrain

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2017, 03:30:55 AM »
Until Patrick Rothfuss finally comes out with his third book, I'm all about Brandon Sanderson. I can't get enough. His third installment of the Stormlight Archive comes out in November. I'm hoping he'll be back at SDCC this year to promote it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just started reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »
I just started reading The Chrysalids again. I haven't read it since high school. While I remember the basic plot, there's a lot I've forgotten.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
I just started reading The Chrysalids again. I haven't read it since high school. While I remember the basic plot, there's a lot I've forgotten.

That's funny, I was just talking to a coworker yesterday about The Day of the Triffids and how Trouble with Lichen is one of my all time favorite book names. Haven't read any of Wyndham's stuff in forever,  I have The Chrysalids somewhere though I think the copy I have is called Rebirth?

Speaking of Inuit country, (this is going to be a sloppy segue,) I was scouring a library sale and came across a large, beautifully bound, edition of Kipling's Jungle Stories in Italian. What little Italian I have is limited to words that might be in Dante or on a restaurant menu so I'm not really going to be able to read it but it has these gorgeous paintings as illustrations. They were mostly forest or jungle settings, so far so good, but the animals and imagery tended to South American with some surreal elements. I had to buy it when it saw this

Lousy photo, but hopefully some of the details come through. And yes, that is what I think is a Spanish conquistador, a devil, two dogs that appear to prefer Jesus to the other occupants, the last of which is Superman with an oar. This picture is smack dab in the middle of the story Quiquern, which unlike the other Jungle Stories is an Inuit tale.

Looking into it more afterwards, the paintings are works by José Gamarra, an artist originally from Uruguay, and they have nothing to do with Kipling. Someone just thought they should go together, which unless I'm reading too much into things is really interesting. (btw, I'm always reading too much into things.) Gamarra's other paintings tend to be more subtle than the one I posted but a common theme is an element, sometimes obvious but sometimes you have to look for it, that illustrates the encroachment of a foreign element into the scene. Soldiers, a helicopter, Superman in a boat. Given the criticism about Kipling's imperialism, it's a fascinating combination. And even if it's unintentional I'll still have the picture above, where 2 of the passengers on the boat can fly and another can walk on water.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:38 PM »
I'm reading a 1912 printing of Treasure Island. When I read it as a kid, I had lots of great artwork and I kind of miss the art, but the smell of the old book and the wonderment of how many people before me have read this very book is kind of exciting.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
[member=4270]mark[/member]  I can see why you almost lost it with that painting that includes Superman! Hmmm... I wonder f DC sued for copyright infringement? ;)

And segueing on from that... science geeks will probably enjoy this Superman essay by Larry Niven.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
I just started reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Love that book!

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #234 on: June 07, 2017, 08:50:27 PM »
[member=4270]mark[/member]  I can see why you almost lost it with that painting that includes Superman! Hmmm... I wonder f DC sued for copyright infringement? ;)

And segueing on from that... science geeks will probably enjoy this Superman essay by Larry Niven.

That Kipling/painting combination really intrigues me, there's got to be a story there somewhere.

Essay reminds me of this Miracleman panel. (Just the baby part of the essay, there's nothing ooo-la-la in the picture.)

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I'm reading a 1912 printing of Treasure Island. When I read it as a kid, I had lots of great artwork and I kind of miss the art, but the smell of the old book and the wonderment of how many people before me have read this very book is kind of exciting.

I love old books, and I know what you mean, especially when you find ones that are inscribed or have old notes or pressed flowers or other things. I also take a juvenile sort of pleasure when I find a book that still has some of the pages uncut and I know from that point on nobody else has read those exact pages. Also funny how the older books often have fewer typos than newer editions.

Reading The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey. Nonfiction, about all the big great white sharks that live around the Farallon Islands, which are just off the coast from where I live. Kind of mind-blowing.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Today I started Marvel Civil War II, all 154 in reading order, and Karl Marx: His Life and Environment by Isaiah Berlin.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
I've been on a tv/film adaptation kick lately! Just finished Red Dragon by Thomas Harris, which I really liked, starting Handmaiden's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Offline Saitama85

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
Just finished Robin Hobb's latest Farseer book, loved it and am now carrying on with the Dresden Files - on book 10 and absolutely love them!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
« Reply #238 on: June 12, 2017, 06:04:08 PM »
Just finished Robin Hobb's latest Farseer book, loved it and am now carrying on with the Dresden Files - on book 10 and absolutely love them!
Been thinking on picking those up for some time. Thanks for the recommend/reminder.

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #239 on: June 13, 2017, 06:29:45 PM »
For sci fi fans (which... I'm guess is a lot of you  ;) ), I want to recommend Michael C. Grumley's Breakthrough series. So far there are 4, with a fifth in progress. They are quick reads and action-packed. The main plot in the first one is that scientists build a computer program that allows them to talk to dolphins. The government then uses the program to investigate some disturbances at the bottom of the ocean.

I randomly borrowed the first of the series from the Kindle Owners Lending Library last year, and I was finally able to get my hands on the fourth one, so I'm all caught up. I believe all of them are available on Kindle Unlimited. Only the first one is available on Prime Reading, but they are all still available for lending through the Lending Library (which is unfortunately one-book-per-calendar-month).

I'm not scientifically minded, so I don't know how accurate the science is in these, but the books present (to me, anyway) as hard science fiction.

Anyway, I think they're fun books, so I wanted to let people know about them.