Author Topic: ECCC 2018: March 1-4, 2018  (Read 32719 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: ECCC 2018: March 1-4, 2018
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2018, 11:40:00 AM »
The droids you are looking for 8)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
The droids you are looking for 8)

Bwuhahahahaha, so AzT, do you need to send a holo message or find a map? ;p
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 04:43:42 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #197 on: Today at 10:05:55 AM »

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »
Another ECCC in the books. It was fun but seemed less crowded and easier to walk around each day. Is next year mid March?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
Another ECCC in the books. It was fun but seemed less crowded and easier to walk around each day. Is next year mid March?

March 14-17. Already a thread up on it!

Now go book your hotel and flight! lol!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I might be wrong but guessing how there are like so many like comic cons around these days that some are becoming more popular then others now. it might because of the day u go or some just dont got the funds to go eveytime as times change. but maybe alot other reasons as well. so if u was able to do more then usual then i see it as a good and bad sign as able get more done i guess.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #200 on: March 05, 2018, 11:56:10 AM »
Another ECCC in the books. It was fun but seemed less crowded and easier to walk around each day.

Really? I found Thursday and Sunday to be the same as last year. Friday busier. I will admit I felt Saturday was less crowded than last year but that's a relative statement since Saturday was very very busy!
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #201 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
Thursday was noticeably less crowded, but that's not surprising since they didn't sell out that day, and a good chunk of the people who were there were watching the Doctor Who panel and then over getting autographs and photo ops.

There was definitely a wider variety of offerings this year, and as usual I found myself bouncing between writing, gaming, cosplay and entertainment guest panels. I love that I am able to do this at ECCC and that everything is such low stress!

Of course, I wasn't trying for Funkos... ;)

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2018, 01:08:07 PM »
Really? I found Thursday and Sunday to be the same as last year. Friday busier. I will admit I felt Saturday was less crowded than last year but that's a relative statement since Saturday was very very busy!

saturday was almost like sdcc.  almost meaning not really but still too crowded.  thursday was a walk in the park.  friday was a walk in a slightly busier park but still a park. 

anyway.  my first eccc.  had a good time.  seattle you are cold !!!  but a cool city nonetheless. 

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2018, 03:40:20 PM »
Back from ECCC. I went Thursday and Friday and agree that these days were a walk in the park. I also felt special being able to have fun while most everyone else downtown was at work. Then I got to go back home Saturday and have the weekend to myself.  8)

This year felt different...more slick and professional, than previous years. I think this year is the turning point--we're seeing slight signs that ECCC is turning into the "NYCC West" that I'd hoped it'll be (rather than that bungled generic-location NYCC-Lite of 2016) -- still not that many signs, but at least this year it was noticeable. Also, this is the first year that the original founder (Jim Demonakos) was not involved. Not sure if this had anything to do with it, but it's worth mentioning. It did feel like there was a little less local flavor, though at least this time we actually saw the resources promised by the ReedPop buyout begin to materialize.

The Exhibit Hall is the area where we saw the biggest difference. This was the first year at ECCC for Hallmark/Popminded and Tokidoki (though Tokidoki's placement was odd, all the way against the back wall), and Warner Bros. WB had the same booth that they had at Silicon Valley Comic Con, meaning a tiny booth with a wheel that you could spin and get a prize. We also got FYE, Bluefin/Tamashii, Penguin/Random House/Del Rey, Boom and Dark Horse as usual, a pretty respectable Nintendo display on the 4th floor, and of course Funko in a BIG way. I got lucky and scored a 10 AM Thursday Funko lottery spot...and got everything on my list. :)

But one part that was sacrificed for this was IMO the bigger independent creators and artists that can't quite compete with the major vendors, but are too big and not 2D enough to be part of the Artists Alley. ReedPop made a huge deal out of ECCC Homegrown this year, but it seemed pretty anemic...it took me like 10 minutes total to walk through and I felt the location (off in the back corner of the exhibit hall) made it seem like a back-burner idea. Also, my favorite vendor that I most associate with ECCC (ZOMs) and is local to Seattle wasn't there.

Despite the bigger names in the Exhibit Hall...it actually overall seemed smaller this year. I haven't counted the exact # or sq. feet of vendors but it felt like there was more space to walk around and bigger gaps between booths. Also, a legitimate reason for this could have been that they expanded and moved the ECCC Live stage to the main Exhibit Hall. Last year, it was up on the 6th floor with Artists' Alley...but this year, in its previous place, was the new Music Alley -- IMO creating this was an epic move. They had a critical mass--I think 7 or 8--of geek rock bands, with their tables set up around a stage where they had live performances on Friday and Saturday. I caught GeekRockCynic on Friday which I enjoyed. I'd love to see this come back every year.

Artist Alley looked as awesome as last year but didn't have time to explore in depth. Writer's Block looked smaller and more crowded. Last year moving Autographs/Photo-Ops to the Sheraton was an epic move. Keeping them there this year was also epic. The line at the official merch booths was much smaller and more manageable this year. Perhaps because they've pushed ordering online, perhaps because they didn't have any mega-hot collector's items i.e. Funko Pops at the merch booth. They also did better at filling up the convention center/convention areas. I noticed a big gaming section on the 3rd floor...I didn't stop by but I don't remember seeing anything that looked like that in previous years (I know they've always had gaming, but it wasn't noticeable to me before) and it seemed very prominent and inviting.

They added Thursday in 2016. In 2016 and 17, Thursday was a half day and even then, it was pointless because they couldn't even fill up that half day. So I was a little worried about them expanding it to a full day...but they actually did a good job with the scheduling on Thursday this year. Panels were good but did not improve as much as the exhibit hall did. The biggest thing worth mentioning IMO is that they finally brought in an official DreamWorks-Netflix Voltron studio panel on Thursday, and it was everything a studio panel should be. As far as I know, this was the first one since 2012's Falling Skies. We need more of these. Some of the mid-sized panels (i.e. Phil LaMarr spotlight, Cyanide and Happiness) were pretty awesome. But the only main stage panel I attended (other than Voltron), David Tennant/Billie Piper, was a 5 minute introduction followed by 55 min of Q&A. Weak. Guest List improved significantly by the end but IMO still ended up on par with ~2014 (their second weakest year since I've started going.) I'd be ok exchanging the collective notoriety of the guests for a better selection of studio panels...but whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

Another area which saw improvement was offsite activity. While walking about in downtown & Cap. Hill, I did notice more businesses with signage that referenced ECCC i.e. a party on Friday night at Redhook Brewlab sponsored by MoPop (Museum of Pop Culture/formerly Experience Music Project.) It also seemed like there were more cosplayers on the streets, although this could just be because it was clear and sunny (albeit cold) most of the time. Also, after 8 years they finally made Kirby Krackle's Kracklefest an official con event. I didn't go though I watched it live on Facebook from my hotel, which was cool.

Funko also held a podcast meetup at their HQ in Everett on Wednesday night -- good to see some pre-con activity. It was fun though a lot less structured than I'd expected...they did not really have a podcast. It was just people socializing and buying stuff from the HQ (with the option of getting the HQ exclusives) and a few games set up and hosted by members of the podcast that you could play for prizes. But I noticed there were already plenty of people camped out to be first in line to buy the HQ exclusives the next morning... :X

Anyway, as mentioned previously I almost didn't go, but I was glad to be able to go up after all...seventh year in a row. :) I do like most of the changes that I saw this year and am satisfied now with the direction it's going in. Two days this year was fine to be able to stay in the loop but next year it's going back on my must-attend list for the entire weekend.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:50:49 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2018, 12:17:53 PM »
My review of the con is up on the FoCC Blog.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Oh, one thing I've been meaning to post -- It appears that all their signage, logos, etc now say "Emerald City Comic Con" rather than "Emerald City Comicon." Did anyone else notice this?
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (bold = mine)

The quirks of the venue also made it difficult for ReedPOP to implement some of the technology innovations it is rolling out at other shows.  A representative of Showclix, the ticketing platform serving ReedPOP and the show, explained that access control at the WSCC was so problematic that attempts to use RFID chips or other kinds of electronic badge features would have just created bottlenecks and inconvenience for attendees.  [Disclosure: I have a business relationship with Showclix].  Instead, WSCC staffers checked badges at the entry points, waving people through or redirecting them to other areas if escalators or elevators were out of service.

A major convention center expansion is in the works that will up the venue’s capacity to 160,000 by 2021, at least in theory.  That will be a game-changer, assuming interest in events like ECCC, PAX West and Sakura Con remains high.  In the meantime, Armstrong says ECCC is looking to expand content programming to the Hyatt and other nearby venues to keep the event fresh in coming years.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »
That was an interesting article. The point about RFID is well-taken. There are so many weird entrances and exits to the con, with rooms and stairways all over the place. It would be difficult to monitor entrance and exit for everyone.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
My friend and I were initially wondering why we had to activate our badges when there were no RFID terminals. It makes more sense not to have the terminals as it would have caused bottlenecking issues. It would have made sense, however, to have consolidated 4 separate badges into one 4-day badge similar to what SDCC does.

The guest list was extremely weak this year, so I didn't get any photo-ops, but I had fun networking and meeting cosplayers and taking photos and video. I should be done with the editing process for the video in about a week. I'll post it here when it's completed. If anyone saw me in cosplay, I was Nick Fury on Friday, Men in Black (with Frank the Pug and Agent K) on Saturday and Morpheus on Sunday. Cosplaying always makes these shows extra fun for me.

Overall, I had a great time at the show. I'm glad I didn't spend too much time screwing around with Funko. Even though it sprinkled a couple of times, the weather was gorgeous for the most part. We walked over to the Space Needle on a brisk, bright sunshiny morning, but it's currently under construction. You can go up, but only 1/4 of the observation platform is available to the public. We stayed at the Motif, which was a perfect, centralized location for exploring the city on foot. It was a 5-20 minute walk for wherever we wanted to go... except for Sizzler. We had to catch an Uber for that.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:40 PM »
Here’s my cosplay video from ECCC 2018. I will be sharing the video on my Facebook cosplay page You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and the link on Instagram @westcoastmorpheus. I took several photos with my DSLR and my Smartphone, which I will be posting onto FB. For those that may have seen me, I was Nick Fury on Friday, Men in Black (with Frank the Pug and Agent K) on Saturday and Morpheus on Sunday.