Author Topic: Ready Player One on VHS and Vinyl Record.  (Read 1730 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Ready Player One on VHS and Vinyl Record.
« on: July 23, 2018, 06:24:10 PM »
Does anyone know about the Ready Player One on VHS and the soundtrack on vinyl that was available at comic-con?  I missed it.  How, where and when was it available?

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
Re: Ready Player One on VHS and Vinyl Record.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »
I saw someone post on FB about the VHS but I didn't ask where they got it. I assumed at the offsite?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:33:21 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 07:01:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I saw someone post on FB about the VHS but I didn't ask where they got it. I assumed at the offsite?

I went to the offsite, I didn't see it.  They didn't have a merch area and the only swag they gave away was a keyfob.  Did they have a special event?

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
Does anyone know about the Ready Player One on VHS and the soundtrack on vinyl that was available at comic-con?  I missed it.  How, where and when was it available?
It was from the off-site and they only had about a hundred to give away. It was all very secret and hush hush. Just occasional drops of both throughout the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
There was a cassette version available today at the FYE pop-up in Horton Plaza. I know there was more besides that but I honestly wasn't paying attention. Possibly a smaller vinyl, but I don't recall seeing a VHS.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 09:39:03 PM »
It was from the off-site and they only had about a hundred to give away. It was all very secret and hush hush. Just occasional drops of both throughout the weekend.

It was pure luck then.  I would loved to have gotten it.  It's great swag.  I didn't hear about it until today.  I'm surprised there wasn't more buzz about it.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:41:49 PM »
There was a cassette version available today at the FYE pop-up in Horton Plaza. I know there was more besides that but I honestly wasn't paying attention. Possibly a smaller vinyl, but I don't recall seeing a VHS.

Maybe I'll check the local FYE store.  Sometimes local stores get the SDCC exclusives.  I was really interested in the vinyl since I can make my own VHS or cassette.  Harder to cut vinyl these days.  Either way, I wouldn't even open it.  I would just be cool to have.

Do you know how much longer the pop-up will be open?  On FB it says 7/9-7/22 but that can't be right if it was still opened today.  How much was the cassette?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:52:50 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:15 AM »
Maybe I'll check the local FYE store.  Sometimes local stores get the SDCC exclusives.  I was really interested in the vinyl since I can make my own VHS or cassette.  Harder to cut vinyl these days.  Either way, I wouldn't even open it.  I would just be cool to have.

Do you know how much longer the pop-up will be open?  On FB it says 7/9-7/22 but that can't be right if it was still opened today.  How much was the cassette?

I don't see any mention online of it being open past 7/22, but it was definitely still open this afternoon. I'll check the receipt when I get home on the off chance it says anything.

I didn't check the price, just snapped a picture to post to a group chat. You can see a tiny bit of the display off to the right:

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 12:31:20 AM »
I don't see any mention online of it being open past 7/22, but it was definitely still open this afternoon. I'll check the receipt when I get home on the off chance it says anything.

I didn't check the price, just snapped a picture to post to a group chat. You can see a tiny bit of the display off to the right:

Thanks but there's no need.  Turns out they are not SDCC exclusives.  The cassette and the green vinyl album are FYE exclusives but the regular album and the VHS are generally available.  The ones they gave out at the offsite were special since they were autographed by the author.  People have already put those on ebay for around $400.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 07:28:41 AM »

I read elsewhere that it was available for the asking by saying the magic words "easter egg".

Offline Violet

• Gaming Lounge
  • Gender Biased Reviews www.gbreviews.com
    • Gender Biased Reviews
  • Liked: 118
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
I heard from a friend on Saturday evening about the VHS tape, and that they don't give it to you unless you ask for it. We had our RPO reservation on Sunday, asked for it at the end, and they gave it to both my husband and myself. We didn't realize until then that it was signed by Ernest Cline! Didn't know about the vinyl though. We did not get that.