Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion  (Read 210969 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: SDCC 2019 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #390 on: March 13, 2019, 02:44:19 PM »
Here's an idea.  Why doesn't one of the cruise ship companies park a cruise ship in the bay for comic-con?  It's an instant hotel.  During a re-positioning, the ship is basically empty or they charge really low prices for the rooms.  Why not park it in the bay for a few days.  At $200+/night a room, they could make money on it.  It much more than they charge for the same cabin during re-positioning.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #391 on: March 13, 2019, 02:52:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's an idea.  Why doesn't one of the cruise ship companies park a cruise ship in the bay for comic-con?  It's an instant hotel.  During a re-positioning, the ship is basically empty or they charge really low prices for the rooms.  Why not park it in the bay for a few days.  At $200+/night a room, they could make money on it.  It much more than they charge for the same cabin during re-positioning.

I like this idea but logistically I don't think it's possible.  Might get in the way of harbor traffic if it's parked out in the deep water areas.  Shuttling people back and forth could get tricky too.  I'm not sure how close a cruise ship could park to get around these two issues.  But I like this idea!

Funnily enough, Fyre Festival had this idea too. I think it was in the Hulu documentary? Or possibly the Netflix one. And, well... that event was a disaster. But not for THIS reason lol.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #392 on: Today at 03:46:55 AM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #392 on: March 13, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
I like this idea but logistically I don't think it's possible.  Might get in the way of harbor traffic if it's parked out in the deep water areas.  Shuttling people back and forth could get tricky too.  I'm not sure how close a cruise ship could park to get around these two issues.  But I like this idea!

Funnily enough, Fyre Festival had this idea too. I think it was in the Hulu documentary? Or possibly the Netflix one. And, well... that event was a disaster. But not for THIS reason lol.

Oh, I don't mean in the middle of the bay.  I mean at the cruise ship terminal.  It's about a 15-20 min walk to the convention center.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
Oh, I don't mean in the middle of the bay.  I mean at the cruise ship terminal.  It's about a 15-20 min walk to the convention center.

Hmmm I don't know where this terminal is.  But that'd be convenient if no other cruise ships need it.

Fyre Festival wanted to park it just off their island.  So that's what I was visualizing lol.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »

Someone already had a similar idea in 2016.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It ended up being canceled before the convention.

Offline luckystar

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #395 on: March 15, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster! I have a question I hope is right to ask here!

Ok! So, last year was my first time at San Diego Comic Con and I must say I had a great time. In the Hotel Sale, I Got Hilton Bayfront, and I extended my vacation to the states by a few extra days and combined my reservation at the hotel when I arrived! I read that it was a possible on this forum, so thanks for sharing that!

My question is this - when I checked in Hilton Bayfront, I had my deposit transferred, then I paid for my extra reservation, then my total stay. So I paid about two thousand all together! Whew! But fun!

Ok, now when I was checking out - they required my card again. I showed them that they had already charged me on my online statement - but I think the guy at the desk was confused about what to do. They might have charged me again if I did not say anything.

Is it normal or should I expect that in the future? I just want to prePare properly, saving 2k is much easier than saving 4k. I know the authorization would have fallen off after a few days, but is that to be expected? Thanks for any help Good luck in future hotel sale!

(PS - I normally pay with debit, I don't like charging vacations AT ALL but will switch to credit if you think that was why it didn't Work. But that doesn't seem likely the reason, no?)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #396 on: March 15, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
Honestly, it could have just been a mistake when you combined the reservation.  Sometimes that messes things up at hotels.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #397 on: March 15, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
Unless your add-on reservation was a pre-pay, and your reservation were truly combined, you should not have had to pay the balance until check-out.
They may have run your card at check-in in order to verify funds, but you really shouldn't have been charged until you checked out.
You may have also had two check-out dates, one for the initial reservation, which you would have been charged the balance of your onPeak reservation, and then a second check-out for you extra reservation, which you would have been charged any balance owed for those days, unless, of course, the extra days were pre-pay.
Different hotels operate differently though, so Hilton policies may be different.
Hopefully you only got charged once for your entire stay.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #398 on: March 15, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »
[member=8755]luckystar[/member] The Hilton Bayfront in particular is a little... sloppy with their credit card charging. I think one year they tried to charge the full stay when people checked in, even though OnPeak had already transferred the 50% deposits. Another year, my friend gave her credit card to them when she checked in, and was very specific that all charges should go to that card, was told at check out that her card was indeed the card charged... and then it showed up on my credit card anyway (mine was the original card on the initial reservation).

Bottom line - I wouldn't expect it every time, but definitely always go through your receipt/folio very carefully if you're at the Bayfront.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #399 on: March 15, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
When we stayed at the Hard Rock 2 yrs ago I believed we were overcharged about $75. The rate on nightly charge was different than deposit paid. If I paid $300 for prepaid deposit nights and the other nights was $335. It was something like that. I went to front desk to asked about it l was told we don’t know why it’s different but this is what we charge go talk to onpeak about it. I just left because I didn’t want to argue, if it was more money I definitely would’ve said more.
  Not bashing on HR just informing people to check bill. Last year I had no problem at the Omni.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #400 on: March 15, 2019, 12:29:21 PM »
When we stayed at the Hard Rock 2 yrs ago I believed we were overcharged about $75. The rate on nightly charge was different than deposit paid. If I paid $300 for prepaid deposit nights and the other nights was $335. It was something like that. I went to front desk to asked about it l was told we don’t know why it’s different but this is what we charge go talk to onpeak about it. I just left because I didn’t want to argue, if it was more money I definitely would’ve said more.
  Not bashing on HR just informing people to check bill. Last year I had no problem at the Omni.

Holy yikes.  Though I must say, as a customer service person IRL, thank you for being kind to the desk agent.  They probably don't have any control over it.  But I'm still sorry that happened. 

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #401 on: March 15, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster! I have a question I hope is right to ask here!

Ok! So, last year was my first time at San Diego Comic Con and I must say I had a great time. In the Hotel Sale, I Got Hilton Bayfront, and I extended my vacation to the states by a few extra days and combined my reservation at the hotel when I arrived! I read that it was a possible on this forum, so thanks for sharing that!

My question is this - when I checked in Hilton Bayfront, I had my deposit transferred, then I paid for my extra reservation, then my total stay. So I paid about two thousand all together! Whew! But fun!

Ok, now when I was checking out - they required my card again. I showed them that they had already charged me on my online statement - but I think the guy at the desk was confused about what to do. They might have charged me again if I did not say anything.

Is it normal or should I expect that in the future? I just want to prePare properly, saving 2k is much easier than saving 4k. I know the authorization would have fallen off after a few days, but is that to be expected? Thanks for any help Good luck in future hotel sale!

(PS - I normally pay with debit, I don't like charging vacations AT ALL but will switch to credit if you think that was why it didn't Work. But that doesn't seem likely the reason, no?)

My comment is along the line of you combining your extended stay when you arrived at the hotel.

Someone else can comment or correct me, but if you plan to do it again, I would check the reservation rates for those dates after the Con.  They may be less than the Con rate.

Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »

You sure it wasn't the resort fees?

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #403 on: March 15, 2019, 01:40:51 PM »
Given it was the Hard Rock, I'm sure it had to be some kind of fee.  Maybe a running water fee, or breathable air fee?  :o

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #404 on: March 15, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
Nope. It wasn’t any resort fees and I was just surprised at their answer which was take it up with onpeak. We had a good time there so I just meh’d.