Author Topic: SDCC 2018 Hotel discussion: July 19-23  (Read 282527 times)

Offline wolfgirl1272

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 64
Re: SDCC 2018 Hotel discussion: July 19-23
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
I would love to book something early but the prices for the hotels I am seeing that are close by the convention center are out of the price range for my group.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would love to book something early but the prices for the hotels I am seeing that are close by the convention center are out of the price range for my group.

Yeah they're insane, luckily I always check here because people post when they find it. I booked Red Roof Inn DT for under $400/night, which is much less than our back-up for 2017. You could check that out, but I haven't checked recently and not sure what room types are left if any.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:49:52 PM »

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
I used to book a backup room every year, but now even the cheaper hotels are usually out of my price range for that weekend. I'm not going to book a backup if it's someplace I know I won't stay, so now I just cross my fingers for Hotelpocalypse.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:02:16 PM »
I used to book a backup room every year, but now even the cheaper hotels are usually out of my price range for that weekend. I'm not going to book a backup if it's someplace I know I won't stay, so now I just cross my fingers for Hotelpocalypse.

Our group agreed to stay in MV if I couldn't find an okay-priced backup. Because I'm the back-of-house organizer basically, one friend is the during SDCC organizer (and almost always volunteer to go get the take-out.) Of course, I'm also still in intensive recovery so I'm home the vast majority of the day too ^^;

I thought I saw you, but I might be wrong, did you get anything from the spreadsheet? I miraculously got my first choice @.@

Crossing my fingers for 2018 of course. The prices of most DT/Gaslamp hotels are insane right now.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »
[member=1256]Iris_aya[/member] Thanks for checking! I was lucky in the lottery this year - got my number 6 choice but ended up trading for my number 1. And of course just being a member of this wonderful forum really helps your chances to get something you can live with.

I feel like a horrible snob, but we've gotten so used to staying downtown that I'm not sure we'd still go if we had to stay in MV. I cosplay a lot and we really enjoy going to nighttime activities - it would change the whole con for us. I know I'm taking a gamble going for Hotelpocalypse only, but for now that's what we've decided.

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 10:08:56 AM »
I stayed at Hard Rock this year, it was a bucket list hotel for me. We will be hopefully going back to Hilton Bayfront, but I still need to book my bookend days.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 01:06:51 PM »
I stayed at Hard Rock this year, it was a bucket list hotel for me. We will be hopefully going back to Hilton Bayfront, but I still need to book my bookend days.

What days are your bookend days, and is it a pain in the butt to move twice?

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
What days are your bookend days, and is it a pain in the butt to move twice?
I usually arrive on Tuesday, so I book that direct with hotel and I stay till Monday, so I find it cheaper to book Sunday direct with the hotel. I try to book the same category room for the whole stay. Although, I usually do have to pay an upgrade fee for the On Peak days. I also have had to switch rooms before and yes it is a pain in the rear end.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Deathbyjackal

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 193
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:40 PM »
The Renaissance San Diego hotel has a rate up that's not bad, depending on which nights you're getting. I just booked a room from tuesday to sunday for around 400 a night, but if you take saturday night out of that, the price would go WAY down. Might be a good option for folks.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 12:11:16 AM »
The Renaissance San Diego hotel has a rate up that's not bad, depending on which nights you're getting. I just booked a room from tuesday to sunday for around 400 a night, but if you take saturday night out of that, the price would go WAY down. Might be a good option for folks.

Ohhh, thanks for the heads up! I actually went ahead and booked one with cancellation through my Marriott acct... If you do that, or I believe the regular rate, you don't need to prepay, just a card to hold.

But yeah, the Saturday night price was insane, but for a back-up I'll deal with it because the other nights are very nicely priced.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:28:54 AM by Iris_aya »

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 05:12:09 AM »
Now that I have stayed downtown so close to the con, if I get that close next year, I will change the way I participate in the con.  I went early and stayed until I was so tired that I didn't have much energy for Gaslamp activities.  Next year, I will make sure to leave some energy for the night life--for a totally different experience! 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline goingthedistance

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 07:23:16 AM »

Thank you for the information.  I just booked this Renaissance rate for myself as well.  Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle is currently showing a cancellable government rate (for those who would be eligible) for $162 a night.

Offline goingthedistance

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 12:07:14 PM »
So this Renaissance rate was too good to be true.  I just got a call from the San Diego Renaissance Hotel Director of Revenue.  She apologized that the incorrect rate was loaded into the system and she was going to change my rate to $459 a night Weds-Fri night.  She even said they did not have inventory for those nights but she would keep the rooms available but at the new higher rate.  No word on what Saturday would have been since I did not book Saturday.  I wound up cancelling my reservation.  For those who booked the Renaissance rates I suggest monitoring your rates to avoid any unexpected surprises.

Offline Sonic77

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »
Thanks for the heads up

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
So this Renaissance rate was too good to be true.  I just got a call from the San Diego Renaissance Hotel Director of Revenue.  She apologized that the incorrect rate was loaded into the system and she was going to change my rate to $459 a night Weds-Fri night.  She even said they did not have inventory for those nights but she would keep the rooms available but at the new higher rate.  No word on what Saturday would have been since I did not book Saturday.  I wound up cancelling my reservation.  For those who booked the Renaissance rates I suggest monitoring your rates to avoid any unexpected surprises.

Curious, I didn't receive a phone call regarding any change per night, or that they didn't have the inventory.

However, I did receive a second confirmation of my booking earlier today with some changes. They altered the rates per night to 454.33 per night. I only booked Thursday-Sunday (so three nights and the Saturday night.) It's basically the same total from before: first confirmation was 1,537.07 USD; second confirmation is 1,537.04 USD (with estimated taxes etc.)

So they probably adjusted it, because they looked at all the reservations suddenly coming in, realized they were the SDCC nights, and then saw the low rate per night, and the crazy one for Saturday night. My friends were completely okay with the total cost for the res. for the three nights, so I'm keeping the reservation as a back-up.

Edit: Thanks for the heads-up though! I didn't really double-check the rates until I saw your comment. Gives me some comfort knowing they'll keep the rooms already booked available, though at the adjusted rates. Especially because it's basically the same for my booking in total anyway.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:43:53 PM by Iris_aya »