Author Topic: The Trouble with Chris Hardwick  (Read 8571 times)

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
The Trouble with Chris Hardwick
« on: June 15, 2018, 01:07:30 AM »
Over the next four weeks or so, I suspect this will become the biggest news story surrounding SDCC and nerd fandoms, regarding one of Comic-Con's most ever-present - and wildly popular - personalities: Chris Hardwick.

As somebody who has not only taken a lot of inspiration from Chris, professionally and technically, and as someone who conciders himself a huge fan of his work, I feel incredibly betrayed... But my feelings don't matter, right now the only person who gets to speak is Chloe Dykstra.

Chloe has a right, the just right of the abused, to tell her story and make her peace with the world and herself. I do not subscribe to the court of public opinion so I will watch for Chris' response but for now, as with all victims of abuse, I stand with Chloe.

Chris Hardwick is, of course, scheduled to appear at next month's SDCC, with the fresh news of his moderating of the Doctor Who panel being one of the first officially confirmed attractions of the show. The series is high on its celebration of a woman taking control of a show and leading the charge - something in direct dichotomy to the accusations leveled at Chris. How he will be able to stand on that stage without a response beforehand, I just can't comprehend.

I cannot see how the upcoming Comic-Con event can reconcile Chris Hardwick's planned appearances with Chloe's post and the impending consequences. I shall, of course, update as the story unfolds and the inevitable outcry in the fandom community rises.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

#metoo⁠ ⁠

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline TossedSalad

• Gaming Lounge
  • Greetings Programs!
  • Liked: 143
Re: The Trouble with Chris Hardwick
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:31:43 AM »
Wow........you just never know.
Fun isn’t something one considers when preparing for Comic-Con, but attending does put a smile on my face

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:04:42 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:03 AM »
Wow this is heartbreaking Poor Chloe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 03:40:11 AM »
I think we need some perspective here. These are accusations. They are not proof. We live in a society where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but in this current climate of anti-traditional-establishment backlash everyone is quick to assume the worst of the accused. That’s not right.

As a woman, I could go up to any man and accuse them of improprieties and possibly ruin their career, even if what I said was not true, or if our interactions were consentual at the time. Would I do this? No, because I am a rational person who isn’t greedy and out for 15 minutes of fame. But are there women out there who would, especially with a celebrity and a possible payout? Of course! I’m fairly certain that *some* of the accusations against celebrities in the past year or so were motivated by such things.

I’m not saying anything about Chloe. I don’t know her or her situation. But I don’t automatically condemn Chris Hardwick because an accusation was made, nor do I think that he needs to make an apology if he is innocent. And we all need to remember that he is innocent until guilt is proven.

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »
Wow this story just wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:13:55 AM »
This is so upsetting! 

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
We live in a society where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but in this current climate of anti-traditional-establishment backlash everyone is quick to assume the worst of the accused. That’s not right.

The court of public opinion does not follow the same rules as the court of law.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 08:28:47 AM »
Obviously none of us will ever know for sure exactly what happened between the two of them. But it's worth noting that Chloe is far less well-known than Chris, and that this is unlikely to derail his career in any significant way. Many people will assume she's just a vengeful ex. I don't see much upside in this for her. FWIW I see no reason not to believe her.

It's very disappointing, though.

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
Didnt she have a cosplay tv show for a while? Heroes of cosplay? That was kinda cool to see the prep and competition side. Unless im thinking of someone else.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:00 AM »
Didnt she have a cosplay tv show for a while? Heroes of cosplay? That was kinda cool to see the prep and competition side. Unless im thinking of someone else.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

That was her. I don't really watch stuff online much so that's the only reason I know who she is. I liked that show but I wished it had focused more on the process instead of trying to fit it into an hour-long arc of making a costume then competing in a show.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »
My daughter liked her show and I think was familiar with her before Chris H was a "thing".  And I agree with [member=1291]semigeekgirl[/member] , there's not much upside for her.  I'm inclined to believe her.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
I read it twice and I am still processing the shock. It is truly unfortunate and saddening. There are always a few sides to every story.

I acknowledge the courage it must have taken to step forward and regardless of stature, celebrity, class, race, gender, or anything which defines us we should never tolerate or ignore abuse - physical, verbal, mental, etc.

I will not totally pass judgement at this time on CH but his response (if he decides to do so) will be telling. If he did such things appropriate steps must be taken.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
I think we need some perspective here. These are accusations. They are not proof. We live in a society where people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but in this current climate of anti-traditional-establishment backlash everyone is quick to assume the worst of the accused. That’s not right.

As a woman, I could go up to any man and accuse them of improprieties and possibly ruin their career, even if what I said was not true, or if our interactions were consentual at the time. Would I do this? No, because I am a rational person who isn’t greedy and out for 15 minutes of fame. But are there women out there who would, especially with a celebrity and a possible payout? Of course! I’m fairly certain that *some* of the accusations against celebrities in the past year or so were motivated by such things.

I’m not saying anything about Chloe. I don’t know her or her situation. But I don’t automatically condemn Chris Hardwick because an accusation was made, nor do I think that he needs to make an apology if he is innocent. And we all need to remember that he is innocent until guilt is proven.

While I understand your perspective, I'd be cautious because it's this type of thing that makes people scared of coming forward.  It's not the type of "fame" anyone would want, really.  It's a horrifying and daunting prospect.  It's not anything most people would want.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is for the courts, not for personal opinion.  Or even PUBLIC opinion.  Unless you are on a jury or are a judge, there is no obligation to be presume innocence. 

I believe Chloe.  I stand by her.

Offline Nyjin

• Room 6BCF
  • Sleeping at Panels
  • Liked: 139
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
While I understand your perspective, I'd be cautious because it's this type of thing that makes people scared of coming forward.  It's not the type of "fame" anyone would want, really.  It's a horrifying and daunting prospect.  It's not anything most people would want.

"Innocent until proven guilty" is for the courts, not for personal opinion.  Or even PUBLIC opinion.  Unless you are on a jury or are a judge, there is no obligation to be presume innocence. 

I believe Chloe.  I stand by her.

"Unless you are on a jury or are a judge, there is no obligation to be presume innocence. "

Whilst that is true, this is a dangerous way of thinking. There are verifiable instances of individuals serving criminal sentences due to false testimony and accusations. On a more micro level, there are innocent people whose lives have been ruined by false allegations purely due to the initial stigma the allegation itself caused. You should not presume to know the motives of one party without more information and the lack of a response from the accused.

The stories of actual victims are dismissed because people are too quick to believe the first person who comes forward, before any evidence is actually produced.

This is obviously not a court of law, but we haven't even heard Chris Hardwick's response yet. Processing and interpreting news in the most comprehensive way possible is how we remain informed citizens, particularly in this day and age.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
"Unless you are on a jury or are a judge, there is no obligation to be presume innocence. "

Whilst that is true, this is a dangerous way of thinking. There are verifiable instances of individuals serving criminal sentences due to false testimony and accusations. On a more micro level, there are innocent people whose lives have been ruined by false allegations purely due to the initial stigma the allegation itself caused. You should not presume to know the motives of one party without more information and the lack of a response from the accused.

The stories of actual victims are dismissed because people are too quick to believe the first person who comes forward, before any evidence is actually produced.

This is obviously not a court of law, but we haven't even heard Chris Hardwick's response yet. Processing and interpreting news in the most comprehensive way possible is how we remain informed citizens, particularly in this day and age.

I consider myself an extremely informed citizen, thank you.  And based on my experience with this type of situation, I believe Chloe.  I've been assaulted by a famous person before and have never publicly named him due to this type of backlash.  People wouldn't believe me.  People would think I'm searching for "fame."  Neither of these things are true.  And yet I remain quiet.  So yes, I'm going to believe Chloe and I'm going to support her.  And I'm going to do so as an informed citizen who knows what it's like to be in a similar situation.  I would appreciate it if you don't imply I'm supporting her from a place of ignorance.  Thank you.