Author Topic: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC  (Read 11669 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I haven’t seen it published anywhere that they are even thinking about extending the badge only area into the Gaslamp. That would be next to impossible to implement and have a negative effect on the “off-sights.” They are only talking about the sidewalk in front of the Convention Center and the Hall H waiting area as badge only. The marina walkway will still be open to the public as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah sorry I wasn't implying that they were going to do that. Just responding that it's not something they could do because logistically it doesn't work.  Didn't mean to come off as this was a legit thing. Sorry!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
Closing access to the front of convention center for SDCC
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2018, 01:11:39 PM »
Yeah sorry I wasn't implying that they were going to do that. Just responding that it's not something they could do because logistically it doesn't work.  Didn't mean to come off as this was a legit thing. Sorry!
All good! We’re all friends here, and we found something exciting to talk about while we wait in anticipation of Geek Christmas.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 11:58:32 PM »

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »
All good! We’re all friends here, and we found something exciting to talk about while we wait in anticipation of Geek Christmas.

Geek Christmas, I like that!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
Geek Christmas, I like that!
It’s because I have the same butterflies in anticipation of the Con as I did on Christmas Eve as a kid (and still do because of my kids).

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2018, 01:29:41 PM »
Haha I'm so desperate for news I'll talk about anything at this point.  Events are soooo slow to roll out this year.  Like I got way more detailed about backpacks in the backpack thread than I should have.  So yeah let's speculate about randomly shutting off the Gaslamp. Why not?? LOL

Offline darkron9

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
One of the things I like about WonderCon is how you are in a bubble without the general public (non-badge holders). Not sure if that's what's going to happen here -- not sure if it's just visual verification or if they are moving the badge scanners outdoors -- but I'm all for it.

It still got really crowded in the afternoon and early evening at Wondercon this year despite the bubble area!   :o

A lot of the congestion was at the intersection of 1st and E. Harbor Dr. waiting for the signal to change.  I sure hope this improves.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
Anybody know the best route to get to the Hilton Bayfront if the street in front of the CC is closed?

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2018, 10:53:47 PM »
Cesar Chavez exit off the 5

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2018, 03:57:01 AM »
There is an interesting local news on-air piece that includes David Glanzer commenting to a reporter about the new closures, etc.  Sounds like the reporter is going to really miss being able to get close to the convention center.  She mentions it several times in a personal way.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 06:49:20 AM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
Wow this huge! I remember in a thread for the scooter problem in Gaslamp. One of the potential issues was that riders would leave the scooters in front of the convention, creating even more traffic on the convention sidewalk. But this initiative completely resolves this. Plus, I like that badgeholders will only have access to the convention center sidewalk: in previous years there have been many non-badge holders walking the sidewalk to catch a glimpse of the craziness and cosplayers so hopefully the foot traffic will be reduced. Anyways, there are plenty of cosplayers in Gaslamp for non-badgeholders to snap a picture with.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »
Cesar Chavez exit off the 5

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I am hoping that if we are allowed to walk on the street in front of the conv ctr and it makes it easier going from end to end of the show. 

Offline TeamKiLL3R

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »
I am excited for this change overall. I am hoping this make exiting the convention center at the end of the show on Sunday less crowded. I have always hated that right at the time we get out there is always a long freight train that keeps everyone stuck on sidewalk till it's cleared.

The only thing i don't like about the change or that i think they could have included in this change is that they didn't take the opportunity to move the hotel circle shuttle drop offs to the front the convention. with street closed it seems like they should have enough room to do this now. I haven't minded staying in hotel circle in the past and the only reason I avoid staying there is that the drop off location for the shuttle is so far from the convention.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
Talk about a big change!  I am all for it and I think it will decrease the headaches for attendees.

According to this map from the visitsandiego.com website, it certainly looks like it would be the case:

Having the buses stop on the street is fantastic.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »
I am excited for this change overall. I am hoping this make exiting the convention center at the end of the show on Sunday less crowded. I have always hated that right at the time we get out there is always a long freight train that keeps everyone stuck on sidewalk till it's cleared.

The only thing i don't like about the change or that i think they could have included in this change is that they didn't take the opportunity to move the hotel circle shuttle drop offs to the front the convention. with street closed it seems like they should have enough room to do this now. I haven't minded staying in hotel circle in the past and the only reason I avoid staying there is that the drop off location for the shuttle is so far from the convention.

I agree with the shuttle stops being so far from the convention.  It looks like Petco for some of them, and way down at the end for others.  Middle of the convention center would be ok.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2018, 10:52:25 AM »
I like the new shuttle stops.  There's been shuttle stops down at Petco for a few years at least so no big change there.  But moving the ones in front of the con down to Harbor is brilliant.  That means the whole road next to the con can be walking space.  BRILLIANT.