Author Topic: SDCC popularity.  (Read 14737 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: SDCC popularity.
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2018, 05:53:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think also there are times when people need a break from whatever they are obsessing over and that includes comic con. Life gets in the way.

Right now, I can see myself going every year because I have more vacation days than I know what to do with. Had I been at a place where I only had 10 days, then there might be some off years, because there are other places I want to explore. I’m also single and have no kids so it’s only really me I have to consider when I decide where I want to go and how I want to spend my money.
Yeah, that's probably true.  SD Comic-Con is my home-town comic convention, and I still love it.  I don't obsess much about it, and I'm at a point now that after 19 years if I don't get lucky w/#20 or beyond I won't be too devastated; I've had a nice run, and saw a TON of great things.  I've never been to any other convention except for San Diego Comic-Con (and WonderCon) so I think I'm pretty spoiled with everything else. I'll go to D23 one of these years, and if SW Celebration makes it back to Anaheim (or San Diego) I'll go to that but I don't foresee me going to any other Cons, with maybe the exception of NYCC if I ever change jobs/careers and can take the time off.

Honestly, I'd love to go to some film conventions/festivals so maybe that'd be something next on my to-do list someday.  I'd LOVE to go to SxSW one year, or any of the bigger festivals.

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2018, 10:57:04 AM »
Yea, for what is possible for me i go to if can do so at time. SDCC is closest and any small i think or see news of worth going at time. i feel lucky can volunteer for sdcc, that saves me a bundle and alot of stress i guess. may try denver when possible years later cause my bro tries it and says it not as big as SDCC, but just as good and see it site before and it only like 3 days so not be as exhausted but can try volunteer if anything later.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 02:42:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2018, 12:53:51 PM »
When would that've been?  I mean, the original Star Wars had a Comic-Con panel in 1975.  You mean pre-Hall H shenanigans?

Yes, I mean pre Hall H shenanigans.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2018, 07:19:33 PM »
Not sure if it's more or less popular, but it is definitely more well known.  Ten years ago if I told a coworker I was going to SDCC I'd have to explain what it was.  Now, just about everyone who knows I'm going wants to talk about it and they at least know a little bit about what its about.  So it has sort of become part of our mainstream culture.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2018, 04:33:11 AM »
Not sure if it's more or less popular, but it is definitely more well known.  Ten years ago if I told a coworker I was going to SDCC I'd have to explain what it was.  Now, just about everyone who knows I'm going wants to talk about it and they at least know a little bit about what its about.  So it has sort of become part of our mainstream culture.
[member=737]DaveG[/member] - Yes. I guess we can thank 'The Big Bang Theory' for some of that expanded awareness. Good thing/bad thing? Maybe that is a whole other discussion..lol 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
it's funny...I don't even say SanDiego.... people just assume it is that one when I say I'm going to comic con
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2018, 08:47:11 AM »
it's funny...I don't even say SanDiego.... people just assume it is that one when I say I'm going to comic con

Because I live in New York, and that con has gotten big, many people don't know if I am referring to NYCC or SDCC.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »

Online that's true. But here at home people assume I'm going to the local comic con.  Most people don't understand why I'd travel six hours across the ocean for a comic convention.  Online, though, people GET IT.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2018, 12:32:10 PM »
[member=737]DaveG[/member] - Yes. I guess we can thank 'The Big Bang Theory' for some of that expanded awareness. Good thing/bad thing? Maybe that is a whole other discussion..lol

Totally agree.   Big Bang does a free add for Comic Con (implied San Diego) by mentioning it roughly twice a season. 

Chris' opinion only and directed at BBT, not directed at [member=737]DaveG[/member] :

I thought it was a good thing at first, but I think it's a bad thing now in my opinion. 

They set unrealistic expectations like "This is the sketch that I got Jim Lee to draw for me at Comic Con."  (Full body sketch of a Thundercat with Leonard's face.)  Trust me--it is not that easy to get a Jim Lee sketch--particularly a fully rendered body sketch.

I also didn't like when they said that "<City name here that I can't remember> is more like what San Diego was before they went mainstream."  BBT is a big part of the reason that SDCC went mainstream in my opinion.

I plastered "in my opinion" all over this as this is a bit of a rant (not at you [member=737]DaveG[/member], but rather a rant at BBT) and my opinion only--not documented facts.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
I actually learned about SDCC through Seth Cohen on the O.C... 

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »
It was also featured on an episode of Entourage I believe.

I can't remember how I learned of it. I think one of my ex's who lived in San Diego was talking about it.  He could never get badges.  We broke up. I got a badge a badge six months later.  He's still never been  >:D  >:D  >:D

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »
Totally agree.   Big Bang does a free add for Comic Con (implied San Diego) by mentioning it roughly twice a season. 

Chris' opinion only and directed at BBT, not directed at [member=737]DaveG[/member] :

I thought it was a good thing at first, but I think it's a bad thing now in my opinion. 

They set unrealistic expectations like "This is the sketch that I got Jim Lee to draw for me at Comic Con."  (Full body sketch of a Thundercat with Leonard's face.)  Trust me--it is not that easy to get a Jim Lee sketch--particularly a fully rendered body sketch.

I also didn't like when they said that "<City name here that I can't remember> is more like what San Diego was before they went mainstream."  BBT is a big part of the reason that SDCC went mainstream in my opinion.

I plastered "in my opinion" all over this as this is a bit of a rant (not at you [member=737]DaveG[/member], but rather a rant at BBT) and my opinion only--not documented facts.
I think it was Bakersfield Comic-Con. When they dressed as Star Trek characters and got robbed. Don't get me started on a BBT rant (although, I still watch it, only because of Sheldon) I am still salty about Amy ruining Raiders of the Lost Ark for Sheldon. Who does that? He clearly loves the movie. Just mean. And Penny thinks Star Wars and Star Trek are the same thing...

The episode for Comic-Con this season was them "outgrowing" it. WTH? I still love Sheldon's response: "Nuts to that, I'm going to Comic-Con" (possibly paraphrased)
Ang

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2018, 11:41:43 AM »
I am still salty about Amy ruining Raiders of the Lost Ark for Sheldon.

It killed me when she did that...  Because she was right...  And I've only seen that movie a couple of hundred times and felt stoopid that I never thought of it.  :)

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
SDCC popularity.
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2018, 11:45:33 AM »
And Penny thinks Star Wars and Star Trek are the same thing...
[/quote]

Penny has come a long way. My wife started out the same. Now she has a badge this year for SDCC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cire_raeb

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
I think it was Bakersfield Comic-Con. When they dressed as Star Trek characters and got robbed. Don't get me started on a BBT rant (although, I still watch it, only because of Sheldon) I am still salty about Amy ruining Raiders of the Lost Ark for Sheldon. Who does that? He clearly loves the movie. Just mean. And Penny thinks Star Wars and Star Trek are the same thing...

The episode for Comic-Con this season was them "outgrowing" it. WTH? I still love Sheldon's response: "Nuts to that, I'm going to Comic-Con" (possibly paraphrased)

Did they mentioned Bakersfield in that episode?  I though they were headed to San Diego from Pasadena (CalTech) on either the 15 or 215 through the Inland Empire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk