Author Topic: Book of Boba Fett ***Spoilers***  (Read 2881 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Book of Boba Fett ***Spoilers***
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »
I guess i should start watching it....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For those that haven't seen it yet, check out the latest Gallery episode on Disney+ for Mandalorian, and how it speaks to the S2 finale.  They go into detail the technology behind the scenes to do Luke's character, voice, and was a really cool episode to learn stuff.

Did you just give me homework?
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 04:36:59 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
For those that haven't seen it yet, check out the latest Gallery episode on Disney+ for Mandalorian, and how it speaks to the S2 finale.  They go into detail the technology behind the scenes to do Luke's character, voice, and was a really cool episode to learn stuff.
It really is kind of a bummer they didn't have Mark H. voice Luke (for either episode); that was a bit of a disappointment in the Fett episode where the CGI was so much improved.  While I get wanting to go for the "Mark's voice as Luke only sounding like he did 35 years ago," surely one of the more prolific voice actors working could come pretty close to what ILM would want?!
(this is a minor quibble on my part, especially with how much better the CGI Luke looked for long stretches of time in the latest Fett).

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 04:02:11 AM »
Did you just give me homework?
Working for MS has given me a whole new insight into technology of this nature. The call out of AI and voice, the usage of Fett's chain code and how that was thought of related to blockchain, the image stuff where they were taking tons and tons of feeds of MH/Luke way back when, to make it as close to in-period as possible.  The tech geek in me was, and still is, geeking out! I think I watch that Gallery series just as much as the actual Mandalorian series! That 'Volume' speaks directly to how we do work in our org inside of MS.  Very, very, *very* cool stuff!

And yes You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, there will be a quiz :D
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 07:48:30 PM »
So what do people think about last week's cliffhanger?  Will Grogu go back to Mando or will he stay with Luke?  I think he'll go with Mando.  He isn't in any of he movies.  So unless he was killed by Kylo, he should have been in the movies.  Also, they already made a seat for him on Mando's new ship.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 10:24:21 AM »
I think he will be back with Mando. He really made the show. The problem is how are they going to come up with fresh ideas and not just rehash the last two seasons.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 01:20:08 PM »
So what do people think about last week's cliffhanger?  Will Grogu go back to Mando or will he stay with Luke?  I think he'll go with Mando.  He isn't in any of he movies.  So unless he was killed by Kylo, he should have been in the movies.  Also, they already made a seat for him on Mando's new ship.
It feels like that's where Grogu is headed: back with Mando.  I don't know if it should matter that Grogu isn't in the sequels, but they may have Grogu bail on Luke just so audience doesn't have to think that Kylo and his emo crew might have murdered baby Yoda (the 'killing all the Jedi Padawan' concept is a lot easier to stomach if we're not totally invested in them as cute toddlers)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
Grogu's back.  He's in the gunner seat in Mando's new ship.  I didn't like this episode as much as the last two.  There's just something campy whenever Boba's in the episode.  I never knew that Rancors are so formidable.  I thought they were good dungeon beasts but I didn't know they were unstoppable.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 08:45:52 AM »
Grogu's back.  He's in the gunner seat in Mando's new ship.  I didn't like this episode as much as the last two.  There's just something campy whenever Boba's in the episode.  I never knew that Rancors are so formidable.  I thought they were good dungeon beasts but I didn't know they were unstoppable.
I agree with a lot of this.  The finale felt like a reversion back to 'pew pew' SW, which isn't bad per say: a good ol' fashion action fest.  I think some of the staging felt a little clunky in the action set pieces, and the big battle felt a bit over-long to me.  Throwing the Rancor in was a great touch, with the nod to King Kong in one shot of him climbing a tall building making me lol like a dopey kid (FWIW my 7 year old also lol'ed at that - shouting out "he's like King Kong!").  Every moment Cad Bane was on screen was aces: while brief, the live action Cad Bane was absolutely perfect IMO.  I'm bummed that he's (seemingly) dead, and was kinda hoping he'd be a big bad for Mandalorian S3 or somewhere else down the road (BUT - maybe he'll appear in the Obi Wan series?!).  I wasn't expecting him at all in this series, though, so I can't complain.
And, of course, I was very happy to see Vanth recovering!

Overall, this was a pretty uneven season of SW TV.  There were some absolute great moments (all of the Tuskan Raider stuff, for example), and some clumsier moment.  It felt like the showrunners/writers never quite got a handle of what they wanted this series to be, and thus narratively the show felt like it never quite found its way.  IDK if it's a good or bad thing that the series really started picking up when the title character was either MIA or in only a scene.: ie when it felt like "The Mandalorian" season 2.5.  It clicked with me after ep. 6 that this is intended to kind of blur the line between the series/make for one continuous arc for the characters we know and love.  That's not a bad thing: we've seen Marvel Studios excel with that ethos.  But I think Jon Favreau never quite dialed it in this season for it to work as smoothly as, say, CIVIL WAR, which while featuring all of the Avengers at that point AND having Tony Stark _almost_ as prominent in the narrative as the title character of Cap, that film was still 100% centered emotionally and narratively on Steve: you can maybe say the same for "Book of Boba Fett," but in a less satisfying way, I think.  It also didn't help that somehow Pedro Pascal has FAR more charisma and presence in his three episodes without ever taking off his mask to share facial expression than Temuera Morrison with or without his mask.  Morrison is just not a great actor and doesn't feel like he can carry a series.  Luckily he wasn't catastrophically bad

IDK what to think of the Grogu thing.  As a 45 year old comic fan I'm not going to begrudge the creatives reverting back to status quo: something I'm well used to.  It feels more to me, though, of one or two things though:
1) creatives/Disney were worried about The Mandalorian losing something w/out Grogu
2) creatives/Disney wanted to underscore to the fans (maybe the younger ones?) that they don't have to have thoughts of Kylo Ren and his emo crew viciously murdering Grogu 25 years in the future.

I understand both of those decisions and don't begrudge the creatives/Disney.

All of that really says, though, is this was a pretty good season of Star Wars: not as solid as "The Mandalorian" (which has really spoiled us), but not _bad_ either.  I had a fun time watching this, though I suspect I won't care to revisit much of it down the road, whereas I've revisited all the Mandalorian eps a couple of times since the season 2 finale.