Author Topic: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**  (Read 64098 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Non-SuperHero Current Movies **spoilers**
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2018, 07:21:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
just saw First Man

wow- ryan gosling- should be nominated for an Oscar

i laughed, cried and covered my eye's- even when i slipped out of the movie (because yeah prereg is tomorrow) i was quickly drawn back in

Usually i am not a fan of shaky camera- it worked here. nice limited use of old footage & sounds.  yes, they used silent space. it didn't white wash Neil.
What the movie did with exceptional force was to illustrate the strength of silent determination and bravery present in the Apollo program.

I saw it today, too.  Great film.  They seemed to stay in the flight scenes for an accurate amount of time -- in other words, some of the scenes seemed long but it really made it seem scary and real.  It is near 2.5 hours but I wasn't ready for it to end.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:29 PM »
.... in other words, some of the scenes seemed long but it really made it seem scary and real.  It is near 2.5 hours but I wasn't ready for it to end.

yes, 'real' is very applicable !! and Scary
i have not been so invested in a movie for ages- even movies i've loved
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #77 on: Today at 11:42:44 AM »

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
I saw Bigger yesterday. It's the story of Joe and Ben Weider. Boring as all getout. The guy behind me in the theater fell asleep.

But Tyler Hoechlin is shirtless a lot, so you know...evens out.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2018, 07:28:36 PM »
I saw A Star is Born. After constantly seeing the trailers in theaters (I have AMC A-List and the trailer was shown in EVERY MOVIE I WATCHED), I was tired of seeing Bradley Cooper and L. Gaga on the big screen, although I'm a fine of both. My wife really wanted to watch it so we went last night. I was very skeptical but I must say, it was a good movie. The songs were quite catchy. The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga was palpable and the acting was tremendous. Highly recommended.
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
But Tyler Hoechlin is shirtless a lot, so you know...evens out.

i may or may not watch football 'cuz well, the tight pants... :)

I saw A Star is Born. ......The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga was palpable and the acting was tremendous. Highly recommended.

i've heard nothing but good reviews- i'd actually be interested in the music
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:02:21 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »
I saw A Star is Born. After constantly seeing the trailers in theaters (I have AMC A-List and the trailer was shown in EVERY MOVIE I WATCHED), I was tired of seeing Bradley Cooper and L. Gaga on the big screen, although I'm a fine of both. My wife really wanted to watch it so we went last night. I was very skeptical but I must say, it was a good movie. The songs were quite catchy. The chemistry between Cooper and Gaga was palpable and the acting was tremendous. Highly recommended.

I also saw it last week.  I've been looking forward to it since the trailers came out.  I even watched the trailers over and over on Youtube.  It's my kind of movie.  A sad sappy one.  I liked the first half much more than the second.  By the end I was just waiting for it to end.  Don't get me wrong.  If it wins best picture than I won't be arguing it.  It deserves it.  All the cast was good including the movie debut of Lady Gaga.  The break out performance was by Bradley Cooper.  He deserves to win for best actor at least.  He could easily have a music carrier.  From the way he tells it, just 2 years ago he was playing air guitar.  He went from that to this.  Supposedly they recorded all the music live.  They only had 5 and 8 minutes in front of those big audiences at different real concerts.  So they pretty much did everything in one take.  That's impressive.

Having said all that, it just didn't connect with me in the end.  I don't know why.  On paper it's my kind of movie.  It just lost me halfway through.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:15 PM »
I saw it today, too.  Great film.  They seemed to stay in the flight scenes for an accurate amount of time -- in other words, some of the scenes seemed long but it really made it seem scary and real.  It is near 2.5 hours but I wasn't ready for it to end.

I liked it too.  It didn't seem that long which I guess means I thought it was good.  It sounded like during the landing that it was an actual recording of Neil and Buzz.

When I saw it, the theater was empty.  There were only about 10 of us in a big screening.  It was even on the weekend.  Even though it's gotten rave reviews, it doesn't seem like it's doing that well.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
I liked it too.  It didn't seem that long which I guess means I thought it was good.  It sounded like during the landing that it was an actual recording of Neil and Buzz.

When I saw it, the theater was empty.  There were only about 10 of us in a big screening.  It was even on the weekend.  Even though it's gotten rave reviews, it doesn't seem like it's doing that well.

I was surprised the box office numbers were so low!  I saw it in a nearly full theater on Friday at 1pm, so I thought it was off to a good start.  Hopefully it will pick up steam this weekend.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2018, 11:52:53 AM »
I was surprised the box office numbers were so low!  I saw it in a nearly full theater on Friday at 1pm, so I thought it was off to a good start.  Hopefully it will pick up steam this weekend.

I hope it does too but generally the opening weekend is the best and then it slides down from there.  I hope this isn't the second big budget movie in the row for Ryan Gosling to not do well.  Last year it was Bladerunner.  Both movies are very well done and I like them.  It just seems that no one else does.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2018, 04:12:43 PM »
I absolutely flat out *loved* Bohemian Rhapsody
it's probably going to land in my 2018 top 5 movies, along with Black Panther, First Men & Crazy Rich Asian

go see this in a theatre with big sound! I saw it in IMAX.

RAMI- what can i say- he's jawdroppingly good, as Freddie

Online FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2018, 12:27:08 AM »
The history of getting Bohemian Rhapsody made is quite fascinating.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2018, 04:04:37 AM »
The history of getting Bohemian Rhapsody made is quite fascinating.

i read up on the filming of Whembly (sp?) stadium. I can only imagine the story of getting the movie backing must have been interesting

Online FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2018, 08:13:58 AM »
i read up on the filming of Whembly (sp?) stadium. I can only imagine the story of getting the movie backing must have been interesting
Even more than that. It was meant to star Sacha Baron Cohen. He left after having a falling out with the band. Then the director was fired towards the end of filming.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »
Even more than that. It was meant to star Sacha Baron Cohen. He left after having a falling out with the band. Then the director was fired towards the end of filming.

to be honest, i wouldn't have enjoyed the movie Sacha wanted to make- and frankly Rami was perfect casting as freddy imho. I can see Sacha's vision but it's about a personality freddy- where the movie in theatres is about Queen.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, too! DH liked it, but felt that they didn't need to show as much of the Live Aid concert. That is the longest review he has ever done of a movie! Not sure why he nitpicked on that point. :)

Rami was fantastic, and the actor that played Brian May? I did a double-take when he first appeared. He looked so much like him! Only thing was that it made me miss Freddy all over again. We watch Queen MVs on a regular basis (on Friday nights, we drink sparkling wine and watch MVs - anyone remember Friday Night Videos?), and Freddy was just such a bright shining star on the stage.
Ang