Comic-Con International > SDCC Registration and Badges

SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion

<< < (2/26) > >>

dcole:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThe tab (and your checkmark for Priority) will update when CCI announces the opening of the 2020 Interest List (for first timers).

Last year the tab updated on Sept 20th.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Sam. I asked because this year's volunteer gig was a little weird. I was holding a sign directing folks to the blood drive but no 'supe ever came to relieve me after my shift was up. When I finally went back to the room after 30 minutes had passed, they were very nonchalant about it and said that I should have just left after my three hours was up (I felt really bad for leaving my post after 3-1/2 because it was busy!). And, no-one checked me off a list or anything. Contrast that with 2018 when my shift supervisor was present for a good part of my shift, relieved me promptly when I was done and also thanked me + made a point of telling me she was recommending me for next year because I'd done a good job.

So I was (maybe still am) a bit worried my shift didn't get recorded and/or get the supervisor's thumbs up for next year. Probably worried about nothing, but that's just how I am  ;)

SamTurtledove:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginSo I was (maybe still am) a bit worried my shift didn't get recorded and/or get the supervisor's thumbs up for next year. Probably worried about nothing, but that's just how I am  ;)

--- End quote ---

A friend in our group volunteered 4 days last year and DID NOT get the Priority Registration status.  When we told him that we had signed up in the October Priority Registration period, that's when he noticed the omission in Member ID and that he got no registration email. After resigning himself for missing registration and thinking he had missed his chance to Volunteer, he finally contacted the Volunteer Department, weeks late,r and got reinstated for 2019, luckily.

Yes, it does happen, and once the Interest List begins, that's when to double check Member ID and get your Priority Checkmark!  I didn't volunteer last year, after having Priority the last few years, and am looking to re-up myself.

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

dcole:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginA friend in our group volunteered 4 days last year and DID NOT get the Priority Registration status.  When we told him that we had signed up in the October Priority Registration period, that's when he noticed the omission in Member ID and that he got no registration email. After resigning himself for missing registration and thinking he had missed his chance to Volunteer, he finally contacted the Volunteer Department, weeks late,r and got reinstated for 2019, luckily.

Yes, it does happen, and once the Interest List begins, that's when to double check Member ID and get your Priority Checkmark!  I didn't volunteer last year, after having Priority the last few years, and am looking to re-up myself.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for that info, Sam! I will definitely be on the lookout later this month and verify that my Returning Volunteer status is correct. I do still have my Volunteer badge AND my t-shirt as proof.  ;)

chocolateshake:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThanks Sam. I asked because this year's volunteer gig was a little weird. I was holding a sign directing folks to the blood drive but no 'supe ever came to relieve me after my shift was up. When I finally went back to the room after 30 minutes had passed, they were very nonchalant about it and said that I should have just left after my three hours was up (I felt really bad for leaving my post after 3-1/2 because it was busy!). And, no-one checked me off a list or anything. Contrast that with 2018 when my shift supervisor was present for a good part of my shift, relieved me promptly when I was done and also thanked me + made a point of telling me she was recommending me for next year because I'd done a good job.

So I was (maybe still am) a bit worried my shift didn't get recorded and/or get the supervisor's thumbs up for next year. Probably worried about nothing, but that's just how I am  ;)

--- End quote ---

That's not good.  Do you still have your C card then?  That's what a supe should take from you and sign to verify that you did your shift.  Did they at last take it when you went back to volunteer HQ?

It's not unheard of that people don't get their C cards turned in.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you are probably OK.  Since you should only be able to get a t-shirt after you've done at least one shift.  That is unless you are doing one of the last shifts, then they give you the t-shirt sticker when you check in.

dcole:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThat's not good.  Do you still have your C card then?  That's what a supe should take from you and sign to verify that you did your shift.  Did they at last take it when you went back to volunteer HQ?

It's not unheard of that people don't get their C cards turned in.  The fact that you got a t-shirt means that you are probably OK.  Since you should only be able to get a t-shirt after you've done at least one shift.  That is unless you are doing one of the last shifts, then they give you the t-shirt sticker when you check in.

--- End quote ---
So I pulled out my Volunteer badge from this year (yeah, I keep them - the ones from WonderCon, too!) and the only thing in the badge holder was the paper volunteer badge itself. Also the Volunteer On Duty sticker still stuck to the badge holder. I had no C-card or t-shirt sticker/card in there. To be extra certain, I also checked my regular badge holder and every pocket in my Con Survival bag. No C card.

Thinking back, I'm now *kind-of* remembering that after we were separated into two groups (those that would stay in the Premium room and those that would go hold signs outside) - I sort of remember being told to turn in our cards to the gal sitting by the lockers before we headed out to our stations. She did have a check list with our names on it so maybe she signed the cards right after we left. When I came back to the room after no one relieved me I didn't think about the C-card. I was more concerned about having to leave a busy post and said as much. Then I grabbed my t-shirt and went on with my day...   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version