Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 37865 times)

Offline puppy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 150
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #690 on: February 14, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Depending on how aggressive (but legit) you want to be.  My friend took her parents to get the vaccine and it was one of the last appointments for that day.  But they have to use what is left because of shelf life.  So she got the vaccine too as well as some others who were there on "stand by."  Not unlike those vaccines that were stuck on a snow highway and they just started to vaccinate anyone in a car because it was expiring.

That's different. I don't mind people trying to get it through that route.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 231
« Reply #691 on: February 14, 2021, 06:12:07 PM »
Thanks for the update!  It's going to be interesting when schools already opened start giving vaccines to teachers already teaching: they're gonna need a glut of subs, it sounds like (even more so than they already need).
I know someone who works in a hospital and when it came time for the 2nd dose they administered it when the shift was done & the employee had the next couple of days off, so they wouldn't miss work or anything while dealing with the symptoms (I also know someone different who got the vaccine after having COVID in the summer or fall, and they said the vaccine side effects were worse than when they had COVID)!

Yes it's fascinating how Covid's severity can vary so much. As bad as those symptoms were from that second dose, I was still very thankful that those symptoms didn't come from a covid infection. At least with the vaccine-created symptoms, you know it would be over soon. With covid, you don't know if it's going to stay mild or get much much worse. I am a bit fearful though when we will inevitably have to get a 3rd dose in 6-12 months. I wonder if the vaccine symptoms will last more than those 24 hours I experienced.

I fully agree that teachers deserve to be in phase 1, they should be allowed to be vaccinated right now. If parents and government officials want schools to open, they need to prioritize the safety of teachers first.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #692 on: Today at 05:13:16 PM »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #692 on: February 14, 2021, 06:30:02 PM »
Seriously.  The District I work in sent out form letters to to front office school receptionists, bus drivers, and a slew of other non-teaching staff members as "medical professionals" so they can get vaccinated with the Tier 1 first-phase medical folks (they waited a month or so for actual hospital employees presumably were able to get it first).  But I literally know bus drivers who were able to get vaccinations before actual healthcare workers with a note from an upper level district administrator.

So yeah: undoubtedly it will be relatively easy for high risk folks to be able to get a vaccine with minimal documentation.  Also, kind of oddly, I saw smokers were on the list of 'high risk' people (but not, kind of oddly, people with asthma) so I wonder if all the CA potheads will be able to get vaccinated at that level  :P

Wow that's messed up to forge credentials like this. But I have to say, each vaccination site had different criteria or restrictions on how they allowed in the people to be vaccinated. At my vaccination site that was run by Calvax specifically for health care workers, they required people to show copies of their license or employee badges. I'm not sure if a mere letter would be enough. For another colleague at a different site, they just made sure you had a scheduled appointment and they didn't check her credentials. But for a friend who is a caregiver, all she needed to show was a letter from a licensed employer that she is a caregiver.

As for proof of pre-existing health conditions, it's not going to be quite easy because of potential HIPAA violations. I'm not sure if these vaccination organizations are allowed to ask for health information like that. What they may have to do is tell people with pre-existing conditions to get a doctor's note from their primary care doctor that they have a pre-existing condition (but not what the condition is) so they'd be allowed in the next tier for vaccinations. Or they might just force these people to go through their hospital care systems and get vaccinated at their sites and not off-site.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 518
« Reply #693 on: February 14, 2021, 10:08:22 PM »
I'm lucky, in terms of MyChart, is currently my home medical system is UCSD Health, so all my doctors are on MyChart except my psychiatrist (who is private) and my surgery team up at Stanford. However, Stanford and UCSD are on Epic's system so my doctors from both sides are able to see my health history.

I've been getting emails from UCSD Health re: what phase they're vaccinating etc.

Like omraged9 said, I have a feeling it's going to be addressed like with disabilities, in which you can't ask the nature of the disability or for any particulars. If they ask for proof, and don't just go on the honor system, it'll probably be a doctor's note/prescription saying that the person in question qualifies with a pre-existing condition.

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 883
« Reply #694 on: February 14, 2021, 11:27:46 PM »
For people in San Diego that get sick, we now have a regional antibody treatment facility.  It's at the old Palomar Hospital up in Escondido.  A doctor referral is required and the criteria are based on age and symptoms.

As for proof of pre-existing health conditions, it's not going to be quite easy because of potential HIPAA violations. I'm not sure if these vaccination organizations are allowed to ask for health information like that. What they may have to do is tell people with pre-existing conditions to get a doctor's note from their primary care doctor that they have a pre-existing condition (but not what the condition is) so they'd be allowed in the next tier for vaccinations. Or they might just force these people to go through their hospital care systems and get vaccinated at their sites and not off-site.

Why do you think it would be a potential HIPAA violation?  HIPAA works off consent.  So part of the registration process would be giving consent like at a doctor, lab or imaging service.  I glance over it since I assume it's there, but I'm pretty sure I have to agree to HIPAA terms when I get my flu shot every year.

The government and their partners are allowed to access some PHI without consent.  Especially during a health crisis.  Testing and vaccination sites have been given extra latitude during covid.  Although they are still encouraged to operate as if HIPAA was fully in effect.  Which shouldn't be a problem.  It's not like they are making any of that information public.  Which is the point of HIPAA.  To keep PHI private.

In San Diego, the big vaccination sites are run by the county's big hospital/health care operators.  I think that's true in most places.

Having said that, the easiest thing for them to do is to require a doctor referral.  That way, the vaccination sites don't need to deal with it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 11:37:38 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1532
« Reply #695 on: February 15, 2021, 08:22:14 AM »
An update from the state next door (AZ): 
Maricopa County opened appointments to age 65+ starting today, and Arizona has requested an additional allotment of 300k vaccines for out of state winter visitors here from other states.  My in-laws are in Florida for 6 weeks (from Ohio) and initially FL was allowing out of state people to get vaccinated but now are limiting to in state people, but AZ is vaccinating everyone.   

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 791
« Reply #696 on: February 15, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
In Florida, National Guard troops have been called in to help with vaccinations as jabbers.  I am a bit wary of this as they are not medical personnel.  For those who have been vaccinated or have been with someone who received one-- have they been administered by medical personnel?
It is 2021 and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #697 on: February 15, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
In Florida, National Guard troops have been called in to help with vaccinations as jabbers.  I am a bit wary of this as they are not medical personnel.  For those who have been vaccinated or have been with someone who received one-- have they been administered by medical personnel?

The National Guard has been active in testing and vaccination sites all around the country.  That doesn't mean they are all jabbers.  There are a lot of supports jobs to enable the jabbers.  There's no reason a nurse or doctor has to do the checkin for example.  Which was the case both times I was at Petco.  Here in San Diego, firefighters do some of the jabbing.  They run the popup clinic.  There are a lot of people qualified to jab.

In an another example of how to take covid seriously, NZ has fully locked down Auckland and semi-locked down the rest of the country due to an outbreak in Auckland.  The outbreak is 3 people all in the same family.  In the US, 3 cases is less than noise in the torrent of cases we have here.  But that's how the countries that have controlled covid have done it.  It's not rocket science.  Whenever there are any cases at all, they act quickly and most importantly the population cooperates.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 791
« Reply #698 on: February 15, 2021, 10:35:41 AM »
There are a lot of people qualified to jab.

Yes...Qualified to jab is the vital key.  Paperwork, line-control, etc is fine for those not qualified to perform the direct service...of course. 

Another thing-- At some of the larger centers, the restrooms have been closed to those being served.  Older people are in line for quite some time in many cases, with no restrooms available?  That is crappy service and we are trying to get that changed.  It is not that here are no restrooms on site---they have been shuttered.  Yes, I understand the hesitancy...yada, yada...but really?!
It is 2021 and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!!

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #699 on: February 16, 2021, 06:47:39 PM »
Ugh my dad's 2nd dose is this Friday 2/18.  Hopefully they'll be back on track by then.

The Moderna shipment arrived today.  So Petco will be back open tomorrow.

In other vaccine news, Fauci is back to saying that the vaccine will be widely available to anyone in May or June.  He moved it to April last week.  Biden says it will be at the end of July.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:17:13 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #700 on: February 16, 2021, 07:09:38 PM »
For people in San Diego that get sick, we now have a regional antibody treatment facility.  It's at the old Palomar Hospital up in Escondido.  A doctor referral is required and the criteria are based on age and symptoms.

Why do you think it would be a potential HIPAA violation?  HIPAA works off consent.  So part of the registration process would be giving consent like at a doctor, lab or imaging service.  I glance over it since I assume it's there, but I'm pretty sure I have to agree to HIPAA terms when I get my flu shot every year.

The government and their partners are allowed to access some PHI without consent.  Especially during a health crisis.  Testing and vaccination sites have been given extra latitude during covid.  Although they are still encouraged to operate as if HIPAA was fully in effect.  Which shouldn't be a problem.  It's not like they are making any of that information public.  Which is the point of HIPAA.  To keep PHI private.

In San Diego, the big vaccination sites are run by the county's big hospital/health care operators.  I think that's true in most places.

Having said that, the easiest thing for them to do is to require a doctor referral.  That way, the vaccination sites don't need to deal with it.

The HIPAA violation would be informing non-authorized people the medical history of the individual who needs to be vaccinated. Yes, theoretically the individuals with pre-existing conditions can sign a waiver for it but it's just not necessary. Not everyone with a pre-existing condition should have to reveal what their medical condition is to be a candidate. The people who look at these qualifications at the vaccination sites are also not doctors so they shouldn't be the ones making the decision on whether someone is medically qualified for the vaccination or not. Yes during flu shots you are asked certain medical history questions like allergies to medications but again, it's not the same as revealing your complete medical history to get the flu shot.

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #701 on: February 16, 2021, 07:35:08 PM »
The HIPAA violation would be informing non-authorized people the medical history of the individual who needs to be vaccinated. Yes, theoretically the individuals with pre-existing conditions can sign a waiver for it but it's just not necessary. Not everyone with a pre-existing condition should have to reveal what their medical condition is to be a candidate. The people who look at these qualifications at the vaccination sites are also not doctors so they shouldn't be the ones making the decision on whether someone is medically qualified for the vaccination or not. Yes during flu shots you are asked certain medical history questions like allergies to medications but again, it's not the same as revealing your complete medical history to get the flu shot.

By working at an HIPAA covered entity, then those people are authorized.  As part of employment, paid or volunteer, they should have to agree to be bound by HIPAA if they have access to any PHI.  Many facilities will require everyone, even those who don't and never will have access to any PHI, to sign that they agree to be bound by the HIPAA privacy rules.  The same as at any health care facility like a doctor's office or a hospital.

When I said I had to agree to HIPAA when getting a flu shot, I didn't mean by providing my medical history to them.  Anyone can ask for anyone's health history.  I meant I had to acknowledge that they are allowed to share my health history with other people involved in my care just like with any health provider.  Be that my PCP, the insurance company or the government.  Signing that acknowledgement/waiver is standard practice in health care.

The check in people should not be the ones making the call, it should be part of the registration process.  The check in people should only know if someone is a go or no go.  By the way, those check in people are also bound by HIPAA if that facility is a covered entity.  Since the mere fact that someone is getting a vaccination alone is PHI.  So if the concern is about potential HIPAA violations, then that concern has always been there regardless if the facility is a vaccination site, doctor's office, hospital or pharmacy.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:43:55 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1532
« Reply #702 on: February 18, 2021, 10:54:11 AM »
If anyone sees an update about Petco please let me know.  My dad is scheduled for his 2nd dose tomorrow, 2/19.  I've looked online for info but everything I find is a couple days old.  Thanks!

Offline chocolateshake

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #703 on: February 18, 2021, 11:41:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, we were at Petco yesterday.  Everything is up and running.  It's all good.

This time, the experience was back to the breeze it was the first time.  It only took a couple of minutes of waiting to be able to get into the lot.  The check in people asked the basic health questions again.  They didn't require proof of San Diego residency like last time.  This time we got put into the park and the jabber will come to you lot instead of the chutes.  It's must faster since you leave when your 15 min wait is up instead of waiting for everyone else in your chute.  The jabber this time was a firefighter.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 991
« Reply #704 on: February 18, 2021, 12:48:18 PM »
Wow that's messed up to forge credentials like this. But I have to say, each vaccination site had different criteria or restrictions on how they allowed in the people to be vaccinated. At my vaccination site that was run by Calvax specifically for health care workers, they required people to show copies of their license or employee badges. I'm not sure if a mere letter would be enough. For another colleague at a different site, they just made sure you had a scheduled appointment and they didn't check her credentials. But for a friend who is a caregiver, all she needed to show was a letter from a licensed employer that she is a caregiver.
I wouldn't say the credentials were forged, per say.  Bus Drivers deal with a bus full of children and are the sole caretaker for the kids' journey from 'home' to school: if a medical emergency arises the drivers have to do what they have to do.  In CA School Bus Drivers are required, by legal statute, to pass a CHP first aid exam or take an American Red Cross or EMSA-approved training course.  In our district many students riding a bus are special needs, and those are the students who are currently attending K-12 school in-person.
I mainly only brought that situation merely to point out that there is no arduous 'healthcare employee' check being done for current vaccinations so I doubt there will be an arduous medical history check for the next phase.  I've heard stories of plenty of people getting vaccinations not in the current tier for one reason or another (some I know personally literally were able to get vaccinated because the person administering didn't care and never checked credentials; similarly some people who may have gotten a vaccine in a situation like they were accompanying their elder parents whom they live with were shown a hard "no" due to current regulations).