Con Suite > Movies and TV Shows

Lucasfilm fires Gina Carano from “The Mandalorian.”

(1/3) > >>

Andrew Costa Mesa:
Lucasfilm has fired actress Gina Carano from “The Mandalorian” after posting anti-Semitic comments on her Instagram page which has since been deleted.  She had previously been under fire for mocking people for wearing masks and saying the 2020 election was stolen.  Some “Star Wars” fans have been calling for her head for months.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

perc2100:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginLucasfilm has fired actress Gina Carano from “The Mandalorian” after posting anti-Semitic comments on her Instagram page which has since been deleted.  She had previously been under fire for mocking people for wearing masks and saying the 2020 election was stolen.  Some “Star Wars” fans have been calling for her head for months.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

--- End quote ---
Yeah, constant appalling online behavior on social media typically doesn't make corporations happy.  Personally, her poor acting & lack of chemistry was what made me not a fan.  I legit loved her as a badass fighter (one of my favorite scenes in the S2 finale, awesome cameo aside, is Dune, Bo-Katan, and Fennec being awesome), but when she had to carry a dramatic scene it was cringe time for me.  I don't think the franchise will miss much w/out her; they _could_ recast if they want to (I mean, if Marvel can successfully recast Rhodes, Lucasfilm can certainly recast Cara Dune), OR maybe the "Guardians of the New Republic" can focus on the awesome X-wing pilots or something!

Also, nearly every news outlet completely dropped the ball not using the "Cara DONE" headline... :P

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

NCDS:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYeah, constant appalling online behavior on social media typically doesn't make corporations happy.  Personally, her poor acting & lack of chemistry was what made me not a fan.  I legit loved her as a badass fighter (one of my favorite scenes in the S2 finale, awesome cameo aside, is Dune, Bo-Katan, and Fennec being awesome), but when she had to carry a dramatic scene it was cringe time for me.  I don't think the franchise will miss much w/out her; they _could_ recast if they want to (I mean, if Marvel can successfully recast Rhodes, Lucasfilm can certainly recast Cara Dune), OR maybe the "Guardians of the New Republic" can focus on the awesome X-wing pilots or something!

Also, nearly every news outlet completely dropped the ball not using the "Cara DONE" headline... :P

--- End quote ---

I often wonder if the fact I didn't like her as a person was hindering me from enjoying the character.   Maybe it was just the bad acting?  Either way, she made season 2 hard to watch and she will not be missed.

perc2100:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI often wonder if the fact I didn't like her as a person was hindering me from enjoying the character.   Maybe it was just the bad acting?  Either way, she made season 2 hard to watch and she will not be missed.

--- End quote ---

FWIW I was put-off of her by her bad acting before I knew of her garbage takes.  I think she was fine as a non-featured character but the moment she has to carry a moment or an episode her inexperience/lack of acting chops really derailed the moment. The truly upsetting thing about it all (politics/poor human being issues aside) is that "The Mandalorian" creatives did _EVERYTHING_ to shape a compelling character with a great backstory & in legit good situations.  I suspect any actor would pretty much KILL to be a "guest star" on a series and be handed so much awesome material.  And IMO she just couldn't do it talent-wise.  She could handle all of the fighting stuff well but she couldn't handle being a pseudo-lead/co-star.  I was seriously dreading her being a lead in a series and I'm legit more excited now for "Guardians of the New Republic" than I was in December when I thought she'd be the main character.
Conversely, I was hoping she would improve and be able to bring home a(nother) great "The Mandalorian" character to full fruition.  While I think it was truly awesome to have a strong female character as a main character, Jon Favreau and his team at Lucasfilm have proven they can deliver awesome diversity into their world with relative ease, and I look forward to seeing what they do next.  I've heard Season 3 of "The Mandalorian" was due to begin shooting in about 6 weeks, and I've also heard some 'inside baseball' that Lucasfilm may have parted ways with her before Christmas 2020 (i.e. that was the reason why they didn't bring her out to hype the announcement of "Guardians of the New Republic")

NCDS:
I am so old I had to lookup FWIW

Star Wars has a lot of strong female characters, it's not going to be hard for them to come up with another.  Though I was always puzzled as to why Cara Dune was considered a strong female character.  Could she kick ass? yes.  If I am going to pick a strong female character from Star Wars she is bottom of my list.  Not because of the actress but because of how they wrote her.  Though to be clear the fact they gave the muscle role to a female versus making it a male character was awesome.  And if you use the definition "The strong female character is a stock character, the opposite of the damsel in distress."  then she is.  Though that encompasses a lot of characters and doesn't necessarily mean it is automatically a character that is a role model.  So maybe my problem is the fact we associate little girls all look up to "all" strong female characters and the term tends to be combined with a character of integrity.  At the end of the day if you cast the serial killer role to a female then it fits the definition of a strong female character. 

I saw where a person googled little girls cosplaying as Cara Dune and nothing came up, you google little girls cosplaying Rey and there is a lot.

Seems to me it's actually a very replaceable character.  No one seems to be attached to her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version