Author Topic: SDCC 2021  (Read 17274 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
SDCC 2021
« on: February 11, 2021, 08:36:49 PM »
Okay, officially SDCC 2021 is supposed to take place July 21-25. According to the WonderCon cancellation (in-person) announcement, CCI says:

WonderCon@Home will be a two-day celebration instead of the usual three days as we continue to marshal our resources for Comic-Con this summer.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bolding is mine.

This feels like it might be more than just another virtual event. I know, we're all supposed to be excited for the virtual events, but having been to 4 last year, they were just blah (except the gaming online cons... but that's a totally different situation). But it suddenly occurred to me...

What if CCI is trying to plan SDCC... out of state?

It's not entirely without precedent. Remember the WonderCon in LA, because Anaheim wasn't playing ball? What if CCI is trying to set up a one-time Comic Con in Las Vegas... or Orlando? Places where the state is not nearly so restrictive and is more receptive to a mass gathering.

This is 100% speculation... so feel free to tear apart my idea or present one of your own. What do you think CCI is planning right now for SDCC 2021?

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: SDCC 2021
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 08:48:28 PM »
Possible!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:15:02 AM »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »
Okay, officially SDCC 2021 is supposed to take place July 21-25. According to the WonderCon cancellation (in-person) announcement, CCI says:

WonderCon@Home will be a two-day celebration instead of the usual three days as we continue to marshal our resources for Comic-Con this summer.

Bolding is mine.

This feels like it might be more than just another virtual event. I know, we're all supposed to be excited for the virtual events, but having been to 4 last year, they were just blah (except the gaming online cons... but that's a totally different situation). But it suddenly occurred to me...

It's not entirely without precedent. Remember the WonderCon in LA, because Anaheim wasn't playing ball? What if CCI is trying to set up a one-time Comic Con in Las Vegas... or Orlando? Places where the state is not nearly so restrictive and is more receptive to a mass gathering.

This is 100% speculation... so feel free to tear apart my idea or present one of your own. What do you think CCI is planning right now for SDCC 2021?

hmmm....interesting theory.  I'm still hoping for San Diego though.  If they announce it's a go, I'll be there...even if I have to wear a hazmat suit.   :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 06:03:04 AM »
A different location for comic con? Intriguing. The logistics sound daunting. Orlando has open air possibilities and lots of attractions to spread visitors out. I would prefer Orlando over Vegas, as Orlando is closer to me. lol  Hmmm...I have to think about this one a bit more, but suddenly I am more optimistic about an in person event. Thank you You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »
Hmm...guesses on what the 'SD' might become then?  If it's outta San Diego, then, it's not SDCC...right?

Just bein cheeky...personally I don't think they'll go that far...I think that might just dilute the brand (especially w/all their previous litigations w/other states/cities having their own 'comic-cons').

I'm almost resigned to it not happening in its usual form...

That being said...I can see them making this year's SDCC, CA residents only...they got the info...they could easily make that happen...if they want to go down that route...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 07:08:42 AM »
I think it is an interesting idea. Certainly, it is probably something they might be considering. However, I agree with sentiments that the logistics would be a pretty daunting task. SDCC seems to count very heavily on volunteers. I assume many are local to SD. if it is something they seriously want to do, they would probably have to start getting word out months in advance.

LOL Now I'm thinking about people starting rumors around one city or another and then there's suddenly a surge of hotel and flight reservations. And then the rumor gets debunked and there's a surge of cancellations. It could get pretty crazy. I think a lot of people are ready to get back to cons and many are assuming they can get a vaccine by summer. So, while demand may be down, SDCC always had more demand than they could accommodate anyways.

Something to think about.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 07:25:03 AM »
I admit, the thought of looking at hotels in Orlando did fly through my brain...Sigh... I kind of miss hotelpocalypse...sorta.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 09:16:39 AM »
Personally I doubt they'd move to another city.  SD or virtual.  At least we have hope!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »

I don't think SDCC will ever leave San Diego.  Wondercon is a smaller show.  Also, SDCC has a squeaky clean image.  Moving the con to another state to dodge covid restrictions would damage that image.  If they were going to do that, why not hold it in a country that's covid free?  A one time international comic-con.  It is CCI after all.

Personally I don't read too much into them marshaling for comic-con.  I'm sure they were marshaling for wondercon until they weren't.  A big show like comic-con doesn't spin up overnight.  If a real comic-con was going to happen, the gears would already be in motion.  You do bring up a interesting point.  Maybe something scaled back physically complimenting a virtual con.  CCM is still slated to open this year.  Maybe it could be combined with that.

If they announce it's a go, I'll be there...even if I have to wear a hazmat suit.   :)

No need for that, masks alone offer 96% protection as do face shields.  Although, I did restock on bunny suits recently.  They were on sale.  Better to have a bunny suit and not need it then need it and not have it.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »
Good theory. So potential alternative states would be Nevada or Arizona? It might be a lot less comfortable hosting the con in the hotter states in late July but they don't necessarily have to hold it late July, they could delay it to the fall where it can be less hot. Delaying it would also be safer since more people will be vaccinated. I would prefer an alternative site be in Nevada or Arizona than Florida since it's closer to their home base of San Diego and moving Comic Con to a new city temporarily doesn't mean it will stay in that city forever.

I'm glad that the SDCC organizers are looking at this realistically if they're considering holding SDCC in another city this year. With how stringent the CA government is being and how large the CA covid numbers are, I don't see how we'll have a convention anytime this year in CA. I'd rather see a Comic Con this year in a different city than no Comic Con at all.

Offline sassafrass

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 11:34:37 PM »
It would be great if they had a live event, the question is would all the studios , networks ,  major companies and celebrity  be involved for fear of backlash from cancel culture, obviously some will but will it hold up to the spectacle it was?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 08:19:43 AM »
I don't think there would be much backlash against the studios. There are shows and movies in production right now, and there are plans for cons in other parts of the US this year. As long as people get their news and entertainment, I can't see them fussing about where it is released. And I'm sure that wherever they are and whatever they do, CCI would have a virtual component for those unable to attend.

I just want to make clear that my suggestion of an out of state Comic Con was SPECULATION. CCI has said nothing about it. I'm simply going off of the assumption that the governor of California will not permit mass gatherings this summer, making a San Diego Comic Con impossible. (Even if the recall goes through, which looks likely right now, it wouldn't happen until summer anyway, too late for SDCC.)

I agree with what Omraged9 said though: much better that there be an out of state Comic Con (even if it is smaller/restricted) than that there is no Comic Con at all.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 08:28:52 AM »

Bolding is mine.

I think that would be dubious at this late(ish) stage of the game.  I know people who've already gotten plane tickets for SD, and I think if SD were planning on moving the 2021 Con somewhere other than San Diego they would have changed that on their website at the very least (maybe kept the dates but changed the "at the SD Convention Center" part).

I think it's _far_ more likely they're planning on having some sort of hybrid Convention: some stuff in person to keep the Comic-Con vibe going with panels and whatnot virtual again.  Just my hunch...

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 10:04:51 AM »
It would be great if they had a live event, the question is would all the studios , networks ,  major companies and celebrity  be involved for fear of backlash from cancel culture, obviously some will but will it hold up to the spectacle it was?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I don't think celebrities, or an production staff like directors, would be involved not for fear of backlash but for fear of their productions.  Hollywood has come up with a workable formula to resume production.  14 day quarantine for everyone and then everyone is in a bubble.  I don't think they will jeopardize that just to be at a con.  A con infamous for confluenza.  As Tom Cruise demonstrated, too many jobs and too much money is at stake.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:07:24 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2021, 10:55:20 AM »
It's interesting to speculate how they might try to pull off a smaller hybrid con.

I agree that it's highly unlikely studios or networks would break their production bubbles for a con. It's possible that they could do zoom panels like they did last year, but add an element where they are also broadcasting the panel on the screens in Hall H or Ballroom 20. People who are there might get a chance to interact and ask questions during Q&A, but the panel itself would be live-streamed and no one from the movie or TV show is actually there in person. I'm sure that would be less of a draw, but might interest some people.

They would probably have to do something like scale back the exhibit hall to 50% fewer vendors so people have a chance to social distance.

I don't know. I guess I'm just trying to imagine how they could pull this off in SD or elsewhere. But when I think of how it might look I'm not 100% sure I would still want to go.

I think the big draw for SDCC is often exclusive content. For panels, unless the celebs are there in person or there is exclusive footage being aired, is it worth attending? For the exhibit hall vendors, unless there's exclusive merchandise that you can't buy on-line, do you need to go? If there are no off-sites that can only be attended while there, is it worth it? I guess the bottom line is that people are looking for an exclusive "experience".

Yes, the opportunity to gather with friends is still a big draw, but a lot of the exclusive stuff is what generates long lines. And if they do offer anything exclusive, then you're right back to where you started where well over 100,000 people will want to be there and social distancing will be impossible. And if you reduce capacity, it won't matter because tens of thousands will still go to San Diego just to "be there".  They already do it.

Anyway, it's just something to think about.