Author Topic: Indiana Jones 5 news  (Read 1135 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Indiana Jones 5 news
« on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:29 AM »
Good news: John Williams is returning to score INDIANA JONES 5. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the female lead.

maybe Bad news: Indiana Jones 5 still seems to be actually happening

Remember, the Indiana Jones sequel is happening MINUS Spielberg because he was tired of sparring with Lucas' ideas after caving to his ideas for CRYSTAL SKULL and making a not-so-good movie.  We don't know anything about the story, but at the very least we'll get another Indy John Williams soundtrack (though I honestly don't recall any new score from CRYSTAL SKULL that really stood out as great, unlike new SW themes Williams wrote for the sequels).

Here's hoping for the best, and good ol' Harrison Ford can retire Indy with grace!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Indiana Jones 5 news
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Remember, the Indiana Jones sequel is happening MINUS Spielberg

The blurb I read said that Spielberg is part of the project as a producer.  While that could just be nod in the credits with little to no actual involvement, I'd think that means he would at least offer his creative input.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:28:51 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »
The blurb I read said that Spielberg is part of the project as a producer.  While that could just be nod in the credits with little to no actual involvement, I'd think that means he would at least offer his creative input.
Yeah at this point I don't think its known exactly what that means.  Spielberg is about to shoot his own movie (a pseudo-biographical/"Young Spielberg" type movie that feels incredibly personal for the director) and he's liking in post-production on his adaptation of WEST SIDE STORY.  It became incredibly apparent with the last film that Lucas is driving this boat as far as creative input is concerned (Spielberg has diplomatically made it known in interviews that he disagreed with story issues in the last film but let it go in order to not inflame his long-time friendship with Lucas) and has stepped away from INDY 5 specifically because he didn't want to fight Lucas (and maybe Ford?) over story stuff.  If I had to guess, Spielberg's producer credit is likely 1) mostly because he co-created the franchise and 2) _maybe_ if they use elements from his involvement before he left.

Kind of like Edgar Wright getting a producer credit for ANT-MAN because he worked on developing it and they used some of his story elements (mostly big action set-pieces that were already in pre-production because fo the VFX) though he never saw a final script and will almost certainly never see the finished film (so he's said).

I don't know: maybe he is involved still with some creative elements or had some input in the film.  Director/Writer James Mangold has made some great films, going back to COPLAND, GIRL INTERRUPTED, WALK THE LINE, even his 3:10 TO YUMA remake is solid (and, of course, LOGAN and FORD vs FERRARI).  I have faith in Mangold, though it'll be interesting (weird for me) to see a non-Spielberg directed INDY film, though I suspect it was only a matter of time before the IP was rebooted with all new creatives and stars anyway.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »
It became incredibly apparent with the last film that Lucas is driving this boat as far as creative input is concerned

Which is not good news as far as I'm concerned.  I'll just say it.  I don't like Lucas films.  The only films I have liked that he's been involved in are movies where he was checked by someone else.  He has good ideas but left to run rampant do not end well.  The films where he was unchecked I don't like.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:40:31 PM »
More good news for INDY 5: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Mads Mikkelsen Joins Harrison Ford and Phoebe Waller-Bridge In Sequel

Director James Mangold making it difficult for me to ignore this film: stellar cast, John Willams back, solid writer/director. 
I re-visited CRYSTAL SKULL's score last week and was almost surprised how good it is.  I must've disregarded it since the story missed so bad for me, and I slept on a really wonderful 21st century Williams score.  His 'crystal skull motif' is really cool in a trippy/dark way, and some of the scores for the set-pieces are really good.  I've always thought the motorcycle chase through campus is a legit great set-piece, and one that feels 100% pique Spielberg, almost an 'extension' of the great scene in WAR OF THE WORLDS in the 1st Act with Cruise & the kids in the car trying to leave town, and the camera does a 360 degree spin around the car to capture the frantic-ness of the moment: the CRYSTAL SKULL scene isn't as kinetic, but it's really well-shot and has some great staging + execution.  Williams' score for that is almost as fun, and the exceptional score for the film is solid evidence if someone were to make the argument that his scores for Indy films are more exciting than his scores for Star Wars (I dunno if I'd agree with that, but I do think that argument does have solid merit).

Anyway, as much as I want to pretend this film won't exist, Mangold is practically forcing, definitely daring me, to not see this.  I will of course weaken and see this opening weekend (if not opening day), and I'm hoping Ford can end his involvement in the franchise with a great bounce-back after the meh CRYSTAL SKULL.
One star not confirmed for INDY 5 that is intriguing to me is Shia LeBeouf.  After the last film took great pains to set-up Mutt as the future anchor to the series, it feels like a concerted choice to ignore that film if he's not involved here.  Same with Karen Allen's Marion: I'd think she _has_ to be in this film in some way, after the last film left us with Indy marrying Marion and Mutt practically snatching Indy's trademark hat (before Indy takes it back as what felt like a blatant "I'm not ready to retire _YET_ kid" message - one that did make me kinda chuckle).

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »

EXCLUSIVE: Antonio Banderas is Harrison Ford’s newest co-star in the anticipated next installment in the Indiana Jones franchise. The Oscar-nominated Banderas has closed a deal to join the film to star alongside Ford, who returns as our favorite archaeologist, and an all-star ensemble that includes Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Mads Mikkelsen, Boyd Holbrook and Shaunette Renée Wilson. For Banderas, the film marks another major franchise for the international star.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 12:21:29 PM »

I'll never not be fascinated at Hollywood casting news where an actor is announced while the film is already a good month into shooting!  This film may be good or bad, but the cast and score won't be its problem!

BTW, I revisited the KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULLS score, and it is out-freaking-standing!!  John Williams is obviously an incredible composer, but like any human being he has his highs and lows.  SKULLS is undoubtedly a high for him, and his motif for the actual crystal skull is some of his darkest writing yet!  CRYSTAL SKULLS (sigh...have to included 'crystal' because of that so-not-an-Indiana Jones movie film called SKULLS) has been on cable a bit lately, and it's an interesting study in what we know now in hindsight was Spielberg almost certainly directing a film he wasn't 100% into because of his BFF's Lucas & Ford.  He didn't want to do the alien thing but Lucas pushed the issue so I think he obviously tried to make the best damn lemonade out of lemons he could.  The lighting feels sooooo off a lot of the time: like he knows the challenges of matching live actors w/CGI but the film has the really bright glow throughout (like a ton of the jungle stuff in the 3rd Act that's almost all actors & green screen).  The acting from Ford and Karen Allan feel off at times, and the actual script...well...it's sure something, huh.

BUT...
The car/motorcycle chase in Act 1 is an all-timer.  The opening that sets the whole movie into motion with Indy and the Russians is mostly great stuff (we won't get into the fridge thing, as goofy-fun as it may be).  Cate Blanchett is as great as she always is, and clearly having a blast.

The movie is not an abysmal dumpster fire, is what I'm saying.  Bad, yes IMO, but it has its moments.  Which is pretty dang impressive considering it seems to not have 100% of Spielberg's energy!

Indy 5?  Has a great director on a roll (FORD V FERRARI & obviously LOGAN are both flat-out great as well as entertaining): one who's completely passionate about this film (so much that he has no problems taking some incredibly rare free time during shooting to spar with internet yahoos 'reporting' false stuff and sticking up for his vision).  Has Williams coming back to a franchise that's near & dear to his heart where he's batted 1.000 4/4 with great scores.  Has a stellar cast, some of whom we likely don't know about quite yet.

Sure, many of us may feel 'burned' or betrayed by INDY V: having faith and enthusiasm for a director and franchise that up to that point could do no wrong (and FWIW, I think TEMPLE OF DOOM is the 2nd best film of the 4, with LAST CRUSADE a little behind but also great - so this was a damned near-perfect 'trilogy' going into CRYSTAL SKULLS).  I was in Hall H during the brief panel representation for then-only-called INDY IV when it was revealed Karen Allan would return and was wildly excited just like everyone else.  But I think there's a bit of hope here for a good film