Con Suite > Movies and TV Shows

What if?... ***Spoilers***

(1/4) > >>

Chris:
Just getting ready for the next show.

I'm looking forward to this one.  The animation quality looks good. 

I've also always liked the premise of What if/Elseworlds where they can explore stories that aren't canon.

mark:
Was both great and said to hear Chadwick Boseman's voice in the trailer.

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

Chris:
Random thoughts:

--LOVE the animation style and quality.

--I miss Steve Rogers. However, if Chris Evans is hell bent on personally letting me down, I would not object is Marvel uses the multiverse stuff to make Captain Carter part of the main series to fight alongside Sam.

--Hydras base being the Disney castle was great.

--When they had the heroine fighting a tentacle monster in a cartoon, I was thinking careful marvel, this isn't hentai.

--I really hope folks give this a chance since it is animated.

--Waaaaaaay back when, young Chris and his friend were talking about how the shield was lame as compared to Wolvie's claws.  Boy were we wrong.

perc2100:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginRandom thoughts:

--LOVE the animation style and quality.

--I miss Steve Rogers. However, if Chris Evans is hell bent on personally letting me down, I would not object is Marvel uses the multiverse stuff to make Captain Carter part of the main series to fight alongside Sam.

--Hydras base being the Disney castle was great.

--When they had the heroine fighting a tentacle monster in a cartoon, I was thinking careful marvel, this isn't hentai.

--I really hope folks give this a chance since it is animated.

--Waaaaaaay back when, young Chris and his friend were talking about how the shield was lame as compared to Wolvie's claws.  Boy were we wrong.

--- End quote ---
Yeah I finally caught up with that first ep. last night and I really liked it: I was kinda legit surprised how good the animation is!  I also watch "The Bad Batch" and the other animated SW series, and the animation in all of the bugs me a little in one way or another (especially early seasons of "The Clone Wars" - not the amazing, stylized 10-20 minutes shorts that aired before REVENGE OF THE SITH, I'm talking about the 30 min. series).  I was bracing myself to be at least a little annoyed w/the animation, but there is A LOT that looks flat-out great: a shot in the prologue that showed Cap's shield in the snow, for example, had incredible looking snow flakes.  Some shots felt rotoscoped from movie stills or whatnot early on when they were 'recreating'/Cap's origins leading into the experiment.  The animation is top-notch, and looked great.

The action was fun, too: particularly some of the storyboarding.  The scene w/Cap Peggy attacking w/HYDRA Buster Steve in the air, where she's going from HYDRA/Nazi plane-to-plane was really cool, with (IIRC), a sequence that felt like one continuous shot for a bit: Captain Peggy Carter bouncing to a plane, smashing through the windscreen to enter, taking out the crew, jumping to the next plane, etc.

I've always _LOVED_ the "What If...." comics BITD, and it's exciting to get to a point with the MCU where there are so many stories where writers can have a lot of fun messing with ideas.  Framing it all within the 'Multiverse' is a clever "in" w/MCU's next huge story/phase of films.  And while we're talking about that, how about Jeffrey Wright as "The Watcher?!"  He's clearly having  a blast with his vignettes, setting up scenarios and whatnot.

This was a lot of fun.  I was excited for the concept anyway, and this first ep. totally exceeded my expectations.  Some of the ep ideas are more 'obvious' than others (the Captain Peggy Carter concept seems like an obvious one, while the Star Lord T'challa is a "didn't think of that one" for me, at least), and I'm looking forward to watching this.  I hope fans get just as excited for this as they do the live-action series so Disney+/Marvel Studios continue making further seasons.  This feels like a really easy way to placate fans wanting content w/not having to go crazy hiring top-of-the-credits A-list movie stars (for example, Steve was not voiced by Chris Evans, though most of the CAPTAIN AMERICA cast returned to do their original characters' voices).

Chris:
More random thoughts:

--Again I am impressed by the quality and style of the animation

--Its impressive how many of the actors are involved with the show

--That being said rest in peace, Chadwick Bozeman

--Im going to say something unpopular, but I am not the biggest Guardians fan.  I liked them well enough in the first movie, but they have worn out their welcome with me so this episode didn't resonate as much with me

--I originally thought that each episode would be a stand alone story. If they end up being interconnected, that would be cool

--The costume design for the collector was great

--Nebulas nickname for T'Challa is Cha cha.  Great!

--The pink girl from Guardians 1 lives!  Frodo lives!

--Where the [multiple very, very bad words, not for polite company] was this kind of cartoon when I was a kid?  I demand a refund/do over on my childhood!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version