Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153899 times)

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 71
Useful items to take to SDCC
« on: May 01, 2012, 11:35:47 PM »
This is list of items people have found useful while at the SDCC.  This list will grow and be added to as i get more feedback and suggestions. While i am posting this on the FoCCI forums they are not making an official list of endorsed items. Nor does FoCCI have any know connection to Amazon.com, i simply used them to make the links uniformed and show were items could be bought.

Last Revised

May 1, 2012

Chairs
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic light tripod chair with no back
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A tripod with backrest and drink holder
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A four legged chair with a canopy (outdoor lines IE Hall H or Ballroom 20)

Power
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic 6 outlet protector surge
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small three socket + two USB port
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginA basic battery backup with Solar power option
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small yet high yeild battery backup with LED flashlight

Health and Well Being
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Large kit with items ranging from deodorant and toothbrushes to P.A.W.S. and sunblock
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small simple first aid kit
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A combo kit to cover most needs for a single person
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A simple spray on deodorant so people to stab you with a pencil for smelling bad

Personal Protection And Gear
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic pocket sized RFID blocker
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A very small sleeve that blocks RFID with an open face for ID
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A HD holder that would fit almost all of the badge, you would have to trim or fold the ID to make it fit (Security would not be able to use the color coding on the CCI holders expect to be questioned)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A nylon lanyard with no breakaway
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A great backpack to carry the things needed for SDCC, can support a hydration pack(not included)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A nice pack that can be ordered in many colors so you can easily be spotted

All Things Food
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic variety pack of mini Clif Bars
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic variety pack from Nature Valley, they do make a dark chocolate. These hard bars hold up well in backpacks and can be crumbled into yogurt with ease
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Simple insulated bag combine with an ice blanket for best results
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A medium sized ice blanket that can be cut down if needed
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A family sized cooler left in the car, small enough that trunk could still be used to hold other items
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login An example of a small energy drink much easier to carry then larger Rockstar
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A breath mint that can be sucked on if you run out of liquids to drink
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Smaller mint if space is a worry

Signings and Holdings
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A cheap Gold and Silver useful in signings
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A simple poster tube with shoulder strap, comes in many colors
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Hundred pack of comic book bags and boards meant for current comics
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A great way to carry/store 15 or less comics, Ideal for a day or two's worth of signings

A final item i personally like and wear is this You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Its from the KCCiSD group of FB, big fan on doing just that :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:50:33 PM by Chris Hagish »
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »
OK. there's about 5 thing's i'm lusting after....
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:45:21 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:34:18 AM »
If you are short on space, I love a foldable cooler like this:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That way if you don't have a fridge in your hotel room, you can make one! I bring gallon ziploc bags (ooh, gallon ziplocs... add to your list) and fill 2 to the brim with ice once a day. That's usually enough to keep things cold the entire time.

Offline phil pinson

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:18:48 AM »
This is list of items people have found useful while at the SDCC.  This list will grow and be added to as i get more feedback and suggestions. While i am posting this on the FoCCI forums they are not making an official list of endorsed items. Nor does FoCCI have any know connection to Amazon.com, i simply used them to make the links uniformed and show were items could be bought.

Last Revised

May 1, 2012

Chairs
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic light tripod chair with no back
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A tripod with backrest and drink holder
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A four legged chair with a canopy (outdoor lines IE Hall H or Ballroom 20)

Power
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic 6 outlet protector surge
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small three socket + two USB port
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginA basic battery backup with Solar power option
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small yet high yeild battery backup with LED flashlight

Health and Well Being
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Large kit with items ranging from deodorant and toothbrushes to P.A.W.S. and sunblock
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A small simple first aid kit
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A combo kit to cover most needs for a single person

Personal Protection And Gear
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic pocket sized RFID blocker
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A very small sleeve that blocks RFID with an open face for ID
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A HD holder that would fit almost all of the badge, you would have to trim or fold the ID to make it fit (Security would not be able to use the color coding on the CCI holders expect to be questioned)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A nylon lanyard with no breakaway
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A great backpack to carry the things needed for SDCC, can support a hydration pack(not included)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A nice pack that can be ordered in many colors so you can easily be spotted

All Things Food
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic variety pack of mini Clif Bars
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A basic variety pack from Nature Valley, they do make a dark chocolate. These hard bars hold up well in backpacks and can be crumbled into yogurt with ease
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Simple insulated bag combine with an ice blanket for best results
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A medium sized ice blanket that can be cut down if needed
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A family sized cooler left in the car, small enough that trunk could still be used to hold other items
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login An example of a small energy drink much easier to carry then larger Rockstar
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A breath mint that can be sucked on if you run out of liquids to drink
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Smaller mint if space is a worry

Signings and Holdings
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A cheap Gold and Silver useful in signings
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A simple poster tube with shoulder strap, comes in many colors
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A Hundred pack of comic book bags and boards meant for current comics
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login A great way to carry/store 15 or less comics, Ideal for a day or two's worth of signings
you forgot axe spray chris.  you know for the stinky peeps in the exhibit hall ;) ;D ;D

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:34:08 AM »
So noted and added
"Two months of build up, One week of bliss, Two months of afterglow, Eight months of withdrawal"
-Chris Hagish

Offline psithi

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
If you're staying at a hotel a power strip is fine but if you're going for the day the chances of your finding a free power plug available in the Convention center are about as good as you might expect.
And remember to check your phone every now and again because you won't hear your phone ring even with vibrate on, because there's so many people you think someone just bumped into you.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:25 AM »
saying at a hotel a power strip is fine but if you're going for the day the chances of your finding a free power plug available in the Convention center are about as good as you might expect.
But if you offer to triple the amt of outlets, most people will allow the temp. disruption.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Chris Hagish

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »
Alyssa is right.  Also i never had and issue finding an outlet they are all along the upper areas...near the restrooms along the outer wall.  My biggest problem was sometimes finding one that was not fully used...the surge helps you
-Chris Hagish

Offline BustAGroove

• Exhibit Hall
  • Nerd Gurl In Search Of A Peaceful Soul
    • FaceBook
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »
Alyssa is right.  Also i never had and issue finding an outlet they are all along the upper areas...near the restrooms along the outer wall.  My biggest problem was sometimes finding one that was not fully used...the surge helps you

I use the Belkin USB charger at home and bringing it to 'Con:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  I had a similar outlet without the plugs last year and people spotted it and I shared the extra outlets so they could charge their phones. 

Shortly before last year's Con, I bought this handy ultra-power battery to keep my iPhone charged:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Geek Out - Comic-Con Madness (Pinterest)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »
One thing you can do, if possible, is buy a new battery for your device. New batteries last a lot longer between recharges!

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
Iphones and some newer android phones no longer offer removable batteries.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 08:46:26 AM »
That's why I said if it is possible. ;)

Offline Bert Su

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
Why don't old batteries last as long as new batteries? Aren't rechargeable batteries like a coffee container and you can always fill it up with the same amount of liquid or power?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to my YouTube channel for Transformers reviews

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »
Why don't old batteries last as long as new batteries? Aren't rechargeable batteries like a coffee container and you can always fill it up with the same amount of liquid or power?

With rechargeable batteries, it's more like the idea of wear and tear.  Over a period of time, they lose the ability to hold charges longer.  Think of it this way, if you buy a laptop that has a 3-hour battery life when you initially got it, using the battery over time causes it to only last for 2 hours.   It's the same with cell phone batteries.  Again, wear and tear. ^_^;
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:04:04 AM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 07:04:48 AM »
Battery technology just hasn't kept up. Seems like instead of making them more efficient, they just throw bigger batteries in.

There are some tips and tricks to prolong the battery life depending on the device..
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!