Author Topic: The business of comic con's & pop culture con's  (Read 47184 times)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: The business of comic con's & pop culture con's
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2020, 11:50:41 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Meanwhile the fan-favorite brands like Wizard World, ReedPOP, GalaxyCon and FanExpo have the attention of the audience but are scrambling to deliver a high-quality experience for both fans and talent online.  That’s led to some interesting philosophical differences among the various players, with Powers suggesting technical excellence is all that matters while Broder argues that "it will all come down to who can do the marketing well and reach the audience."

Unfortunately, neither side has come up with a great solution for retailers.  Over the weekend, I participated in an online conversation about the future of conventions hosted by podcaster Leonard Sultana ("An Englishman In San Diego"), where geek fashion entrepreneur Tony Kim, founder of Hero Within, lamented the huge challenge of losing 60% of his revenues generated at shows and conventions.  "For apparel, it’s a tactile experience. We want people to feel the fabrics, try on the fit of our clothes," he said.  "We can sell online, but we can’t capture that aspect of it."

More 2020 cancels: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It is with a heavy heart that we today announce the cancellation of MCM Birmingham  Comic Con June, MCM London Comic Con July, MCM Manchester Comic Con, August, and MCM Scotland Comic Con September following the escalation of COVID-19 in the UK, Europe, and globally.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2021, 07:58:52 AM »
Fan Expo buys Wizard World!

Wow- a real change in the post(hopefully) covid convention landscape

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:02:29 AM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:52:44 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »

There will be no E3 in 2023. Nearly a year after the Entertainment Software Association announced that the gaming industry trade event would return in 2023 following its cancellation in 2022, the ESA revealed it again has been canceled.

According to IGN, the Entertainment Software Association has begun notifying members that while the show “remains a beloved event and brand,” the plans for E3 2023 “simply did not garner the sustained interest necessary to execute it in a way that would showcase the size, strength and impact our industry.”

The event was scheduled to run from June 13-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. It would have been the first in-person E3 event since 2019. The event was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. A digital version was held in 2021.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2023, 08:44:34 PM »
I came to post this.  E3 used to be the biggest convention in gaming.  Now it's cancelled because there isn't enough interest.  I hope this isn't the future for other cons.  The statement on IGN succinctly sums it up.

E3 Has Been Canceled
The show "did not garner the sustained interest necessary"

Online Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2023, 05:12:07 AM »
I've always wanted to go to this.  But as the years were going by I could see how this got less and less popular, attended, marketed.  I just find it interesting that each of the big names (like MS, Sony, etc.) do their own thing.  So there's interest, but having your own con lets you focus on just your stuff.  Shame tho.

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »
I've always wanted to go to this.  But as the years were going by I could see how this got less and less popular, attended, marketed.  I just find it interesting that each of the big names (like MS, Sony, etc.) do their own thing.  So there's interest, but having your own con lets you focus on just your stuff.  Shame tho.
Is that the reason: the large companies that E3 organizers count on to participate no longer want to because they have their own event?  I can't click the IGN story right now (at work: it's oddly blocked), so forgive me if you're merely stating what's in the article.  I guess it makes sense that Sony, for ex, can have their own event for likely cheaper costs, and have all of the press/attention vs being at a huge event that costs money for booth space, accommodations, etc. while possibly getting lost in the static of 'noise' these huge events seem to generate.
That seems to be the route WB has gone with lately, do their own in-house roll-out/hype event and having a subdued presence at SDCC.  Maybe that'll change a little bit w/folks like James Gunn & Peter Safran at the helm of DC Studios: two fellas who _really_ know how to take advantage of SDCC hype (I think it's undeniable the GotG hype started at SDCC with the first panel & sizzle reel), though obviously they still answer to the big boss of WB Discovery who may want to not spend the money.

I guess in a society that is on one hand wide open, with any of us able to access nearly any trailer, video interview, event online from personal devices, but also closed off in the sense that younger generations spend so much time on said devices and maybe aren't as interested traveling to big ticket events, huge big-money events aren't as well-attended.  I know E3 has been a thing for almost 30 years, but the world is just an incredibly different place than 1995.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2023, 10:07:26 AM »
I guess it makes sense that Sony, for ex, can have their own event for likely cheaper costs, and have all of the press/attention vs being at a huge event that costs money for booth space, accommodations, etc. while possibly getting lost in the static of 'noise' these huge events seem to generate.

I think it is the reason.  It's not just the cost, it's that they can control their calendar.  They don't have to wait for a big show like E3, they can have a State of Play whenever they feel like it.  E3 has been shrinking for years, but it was really covid that killed it.  2019 was still a good turnout.  It seems that during the years they couldn't hold it, the big players in gaming realized they did just fine without it.  The little players are the ones that need it.  Since without the press they can get at a big show, it's hard for them to get much attention at all.

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2023, 04:13:26 AM »
That seems to be the route WB has gone with lately, do their own in-house roll-out/hype event and having a subdued presence at SDCC.  Maybe that'll change a little bit w/folks like James Gunn & Peter Safran at the helm of DC Studios: two fellas who _really_ know how to take advantage of SDCC hype (I think it's undeniable the GotG hype started at SDCC with the first panel & sizzle reel), though obviously they still answer to the big boss of WB Discovery who may want to not spend the money.

It doesn’t help that for the two movies DC brought to SDCC last year, Shazam 2 was a total bomb, and whether or not Black Adam made money depends on if you listen to The Rock or everyone else.