Author Topic: RFID Wondercon  (Read 7061 times)

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
RFID Wondercon
« on: March 28, 2016, 04:14:34 PM »
Hmm so what do you guys think of the RFID? I went on Friday but didnt do much after that so dont know if its really busy at times and have to line up to "tap in" and "tap out". When the floor closes did everyone still need to tap out or does it reset on the next day? Any one forget to tap out and couldnt tap in?

TIA

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: RFID Wondercon
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
I was scared that if I didn't tap out, it wouldn't work and I'd waste time waiting at the help desk, so I never risked it.

I never saw a line to tap in or tap out. It seemed to be an orderly process. People got used to it pretty quickly.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:44:36 AM »

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 04:26:57 PM »
I posted this question under a different subject area as well:
We just went to WonderCon this weekend.  When the 4 of us(2 adults/2 juniors) checked in at the badge pick up tables, I handed the the guy helping us all 4 barcode print outs. He them preceded to hand us our badges. When he handed us the first one, I asked him whose it was. He said it didn't matter! He handed us all 4 badges...they all looked exactly the same...None of them had names or badge type( adult/junior) printed on them. Does this make any sense??

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:42:20 PM »
I think the RFID isnt linked to any member id so names didn't matter. For the professional lines for badge pickup they started to just give badges with no names on it to move the line faster.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:45:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I posted this question under a different subject area as well:
We just went to WonderCon this weekend.  When the 4 of us(2 adults/2 juniors) checked in at the badge pick up tables, I handed the the guy helping us all 4 barcode print outs. He them preceded to hand us our badges. When he handed us the first one, I asked him whose it was. He said it didn't matter! He handed us all 4 badges...they all looked exactly the same...None of them had names or badge type( adult/junior) printed on them. Does this make any sense??

At NYCC it didn't matter until you went online to register your badge.  And even then I don't think it mattered :)

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 04:49:50 PM »
As a volunteer, I had my name printed on the card stock paper that was placed behind the plastic RFID badge.  Daily volunteer RFID badges were supposed to only be activated for the day that the volunteer actually did a shift, but I couldn't attend the convention for a second day (so I couldn't test out this theory just to see if the system worked properly when you tapped in or out).  Ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline mraceebb

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
For what it's worth, there was one room I was in that I left to go use the restroom.  I didn't realize that the exit I used was after a check-in/check-out station so when I came back I had to check back in.  I was worried that doing so would give me an error since I hadn't checked out, but... it checked in fine. 

There was another person who had just left to also use the bathroom and had realized his exit was outside of the station.  That person asked the security person by the scanner what to do and that person said it didn't matter.

I'm guessing that CCI was really just collecting data this weekend to see how quickly people could be processed and that they weren't really enforcing or maybe even triggering if you didn't check out.

Offline Laminas92675

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:10:06 PM »
I was worried Friday morning because by the time my group got our autograph tickets and got in line to get into the exhibit hall it was a really long line and our signing was in the morning. It did end up moving pretty fast but it did freak us out. I think it was the tapping in that slowed it down a bit.
When we went to the legends of tomorrow panel at the Microsoft theatre the volunteer scanned my badge and said my name so they do have your name on the screen that scans your badge. I was surprised when she said name. 

Offline loubert

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »
While I'm still nervous about how RFID checkpoints will create logjams in San Diego, I was pleasantly surprised that it pretty much seemed a non-issue at WonderCon (except at the Microsoft Theater, where there was only one person scanning badges). However, every time I was cutting it close to get to a panel, I was panicked that I'd tap my badge, it wouldn't work, and I'd have to go get it sorted out and end up missing the panel.

Offline krod

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
I didn't have a good experience with RFID the first day. I went to pick up my badge thursday and waited an hour to pick up my badge, witch is fine that's why I went thursday, so I don't have to worry about it on friday. When a volunteer scanned my barcode to pick up my badge the system wasn't reading it so I went to the help desk to pick up my badge, they gave me my badge but they had forgotten to activate my badge or something along the same lines, I didn't know at the time, so I went to the exhibit hall in the morning and my badge didn't work, I was one of the first 20 people in line and wasn't the only person it was happening to so they let me through eventually and said I had to go to the help desk if I wanted to reenter the exhibit hall or go to panels, so I went help desk to get this all figured out, they fixed it but it took an hour out of my friday, I missed part of the dc all access panel not big deal to me there working it out but if this happened at sdcc I'd be raging, who knows what I'd miss out on. I know this happened to several people, and I don't know when the badges are mailed out if there going to be pre activated or on site, but definitely for foreign con goers who will pick up on site they should have a testing station to make sure the badges are working when there picked up. I wish I went to the talk back and suggested it.     

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 04:50:37 PM »
Krod, that's an excellent idea! I love the concept of having a 'testing station' right at badge pickup, so people can make sure things are okay.

ALthough at SDCC< since many of the badges are mailed, that might be moot...  :-[

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
The only problem I experienced was having to bend over to scan the badge. I can see "Comic-Con Hunchback"  being a new medical condition.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 09:48:15 AM »
The only problem I experienced was having to bend over to scan the badge. I can see "Comic-Con Hunchback"  being a new medical condition.

At Talkback, someone suggested that instead of lanyards, this year CCI give out those 'extension clips' that attach to a belt or pocket. That way people could pull out the badges and tap them easily. That suggestion was met by a lot of applause, and John Rogers took note.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
At Talkback, someone suggested that instead of lanyards, this year CCI give out those 'extension clips' that attach to a belt or pocket. That way people could pull out the badges and tap them easily. That suggestion was met by a lot of applause, and John Rogers took note.

Outstanding idea - would be helpful for cosplayers too :)

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:47:30 AM »
Good suggestion but it would make it easier for someone to attempt to take from you or you losing it. If it's around your neck I feel that it's a deterrent for thieves and you know where your badge is at. I loved the look of the badge not a plain Saturday printed but to have artwork on it was nice.