Author Topic: "Invincible" series thoughts *some Spoilers*  (Read 1253 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
"Invincible" series thoughts *some Spoilers*
« on: April 23, 2021, 06:16:50 PM »
Is anyone else watching the Amazon Prime series "Invincible?"  It's based on the Robert Kirkman comic (which I haven't read), who you likely know from "The Walking Dead" (I assume nearly everyone here knows that, but just in case there are any uninitiated reading).  The series is about a HS senior who realizes he has super powers and wants to take after his dad: an omnipotent Superman-esque superhero (Omni-man).  There is a 'Justice League' type group of heroes with many being analogues to DC comics regulars.  The animation feels to me as not super-modern, but also not "cheap:" a friend of mine compared it favorably to "having a 'Super Friends' type vibe" and in a way that makes sense.

The series really does a great job riding the tonal line between "OMG!!" action and drama as well as laugh-out-loud comedy.  There is some nice coming-of-age stuff that likely appeals to teenagers but also some family-drama type stuff that will hit a bit for adults (like the husband/wife dynamic between Omni-man and his non-superpower-that-we-know-of-through-seven eps wife).  The villains are fun, with some of the main villains (the Mauler twins - a set of clone bad guys) being really good.  I'm continually impressed with the comedy/action-drama balance and I honestly was MUCH more excited to watch episode 7 than the Falcon and the Winter Soldier finale (and I don't mean that as a diss on FatWS -  more of high praise for Invincible).  It's not exactly high-brow entertainment, but even a coworker friend of mine REALLY likes this series: one who's not that into comic books or superhero movies/TV (he liked WandaVision, didn't really care for FatWS and stopped watching it after only an ep or two).

Someone I know recommended the comics over the summer and I refrained waiting to see the series.  Then I kinda forgot about the series until my non-comic book loving friend raved about it.  I am now gonna wait until Season 1 ends before diving into the books (which I went out and bought 'em all) as I'm _really_ liking this show and have been told at least tonally it matches the comics.  Anyone else watching this? 

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: "Invincible" series thoughts *some Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 11:40:14 AM »
Can confirm tonally it matches the comics. I've read through Compendium 1 but not any further. just yet Since you've seen the show a few of the major plot "twists" will be spoiled for you when you read (obviously), so some of the shock value won't be there. But even still, you should for sure give them a read. There are lots of laughs, drama, and coming of age aspects in the comics-it pretty much just takes the comics and brings them to life, literally. A few events are moved around here and there but nothing major. I think I might like the Mauller twins even better in the show. I can think of two things that are quite different and I wonder why they changed them, but not detrimental or anything.

As for the show itself, I'm loving it and can't wait for more. I'm watching with someone that has never read a comic before ever and the only superhero movie seen was Guardians of the Galaxy and they are liking it as well. Walter Goggins as Cecil tickles me.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:35:26 AM »

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:59 AM »
Biased as its my all time favorite comic.
Show is awesome.
Most of the changes they have made from the comic to the show were needed for the modern times.
Like spoilers, best friend doesn't need to stay closeted for 75 issues of comic, having him gay from day one works perfect.
For the most part the first season is the first 12 issues.  A few of the b-stories are from further in the comic and pulled earlier.
But yeah of a 144 main issue run (and dozens of shoot issues), this is just the tip of the iceburg.
I can't wait for whats next.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Biased as its my all time favorite comic.
Show is awesome.
Most of the changes they have made from the comic to the show were needed for the modern times.
Like spoilers, best friend doesn't need to stay closeted for 75 issues of comic, having him gay from day one works perfect.
For the most part the first season is the first 12 issues.  A few of the b-stories are from further in the comic and pulled earlier.
But yeah of a 144 main issue run (and dozens of shoot issues), this is just the tip of the iceburg.
I can't wait for whats next.

Ooooh this makes sense now.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
Can confirm tonally it matches the comics. I've read through Compendium 1 but not any further. just yet Since you've seen the show a few of the major plot "twists" will be spoiled for you when you read (obviously), so some of the shock value won't be there. But even still, you should for sure give them a read. There are lots of laughs, drama, and coming of age aspects in the comics-it pretty much just takes the comics and brings them to life, literally. A few events are moved around here and there but nothing major. I think I might like the Mauller twins even better in the show. I can think of two things that are quite different and I wonder why they changed them, but not detrimental or anything.

As for the show itself, I'm loving it and can't wait for more. I'm watching with someone that has never read a comic before ever and the only superhero movie seen was Guardians of the Galaxy and they are liking it as well. Walter Goggins as Cecil tickles me.
Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm really happy to hear the tone of the show is consistent with the books.  I read The Walking Dead from day 1 to the last day, and to be blunt I skipped Invincible because Kirkman can be a bit...wordy; added to that the really down tone of Walking Dead (TV + book) for the most part and wasn't sure if Invincible was tonally close to Walking Dead or something 'brighter.'  I'm glad to hear the books are funny (or at least tonally similar to the books)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 07:09:12 AM »
i have watched 2 eps so far. Love it
I don't know if i'll watch more due to distractions & real life. point of reference, i haven't finished The Boys yet either
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
i have watched 2 eps so far. Love it
I don't know if i'll watch more due to distractions & real life. point of reference, i haven't finished The Boys yet either
I hear ya.  In my household we have only one TV; a matriarch who doesn't like intense action, violence, or cursing in movies/TV; a 19 year-old with some different sensibilities as me (not a horror movie fan for the most part but at least digs R-rated dramas and action films); and a 6 year old.  And also since going back to teaching in-person (as well as about half the students zooming from home), my time to watch R-rated/adult movies and TV is incredibly limited!  I HATE that it took me until this morning to _FINALLY_ catch up and watch NOBODY

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »
Wow this show totally nailed the season 1 finale!!  I won't go into spoilers, but this is one of the most satisfying season finales I've seen in awhile.  I was almost dreading watching, because I was afraid the creatives would either a) blow the landing or b) leave such a huge cliffhanger that I'd be way impatient to wait a year.  While this ep obviously sets up the next episode on a few different fronts, the writers did a great job making this totally satisfying of an end point.

I guess in that regard similar to "Ted Lasso" (my favorite show of 2020).  GREAT job on this first season: really wonderful top-to-bottom and I'm legit excited to see where this goes!!  I did start reading the 1st Compendium last night so we'll see if I have the discipline to stop at 1 and not read em all (I kind of want to be surprised by the show since I like almost everything about it)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 12:35:52 PM »
I am big fan of the comic and the show!  I have 4 compendiums and 75+ issues or so.  The show really does justice to the comic.  Love it!
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster