Author Topic: SDCC 2022: Housing Options (Outside of the Official Hotel Block)  (Read 20475 times)

Offline AlaskaRainbow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 139
Re: SDCC 2022: Housing Options (Outside of the Official Hotel Block)
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
Gaslamp Plaza Suites is unique because they have rooms and timeshares. The timeshare rooms are booked through whomever owns the timeshare, not the hotel. We have been super lucky and grateful to a member of this Forum for letting us rent her timeshare (For a more reasonable amount $) for Con week more than once since she was staying elsewhere. When you rent the room as a timeshare you're limited to staying there Sun-Sat but we always stay Tues-Tues so we've booked a different hotel for the last 2 nights because the nightly cost has been very expensive (we usually move to the Indigo Sun am). "Kind Forum Member" (don't want to invade anyone's privacy by naming) already told us the timeshare wouldn't be available for 2022 so my sister booked a room through the hotel directly and hopes I'll have enough $ by then.

Gaslamp Plaza Suites have just a few rooms (one on each floor) that have two queen beds (most of their rooms have a bed and sleeper couch) and two bathrooms, little kitchenette, two refrigerators - this is the timeshare room we got to stay in more than once! It was so great with 4 women in the room (one cosplayer) to have 2 bathrooms, heaven. Plus they have a funky bar downstairs that's like being in Alice in Wonderland with a "secret" entrance.  I think the registered guest thing 11pm is because they are a small hotel and they have varied guest types or because of the bar? 

I don't think they've (maybe did at one point?) participated in the Con Hotel Hell that we've all been through so there isn't any contract rate they have to follow.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2022, 06:57:58 AM »
Gaslamp Plaza Suites from Booking.com Date July 18-24 dates
Standard Room
1 full bed
FREE cancellation • No prepayment needed
You can cancel later, so lock in this great price today!
Only 4 rooms left at this price on our site
6 nights, 2 adults
$1,914

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline peperryvt

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2022, 10:55:21 AM »
I'm an owner at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and have a studio room reserved for Comic Con week (Sunday to Sunday, 7/17-24).  The room has a queen bed, a queen sleeper sofa, a partial kitchen, and one bathroom.  The maximum occupancy is 4. I've got it listed on the Timeshare User Group website (TUG2.com) for rent but haven't had any inquiries yet.  I rented it several years ago to a member here for Comic Con and he was very happy with.  I've offered it to him but haven't heard back so I assume he's not interested.  Here's what he said about it - "The room worked out so perfectly! It was just outside of the crazy Gaslamp stuff but walkable to nearly everything."

I'm asking $1500 for the full 7 days.  Let me know if you are interested.  I also have what will presumably be Comic Con week in 2023 (7/16-23) reserved.  You would have right of first refusal for 2023 if you were happy with it.

Offline jmcwho64

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2022, 06:27:32 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:36:05 PM by jmcwho64 »

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2022, 10:45:12 AM »
when was hotel lottery previously? wasn't it around now? or think it'll be after WonderCon's done?

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2022, 10:51:42 AM »
Usually April

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2022, 11:06:43 AM »
It’s been so long since we have done that madness lol, fingers crossed
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2022, 06:12:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
when was hotel lottery previously? wasn't it around now? or think it'll be after WonderCon's done?

Early bird hotels are typically on sale by February. In some years the main sale was as early as March, or at least announced to take place as late as May. It definitely does feel like it's running late for news

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2022, 09:21:20 PM »
I hope they make an announcement soon on when the lottery is at least  :)

FTI Marriot Marquis currently has availability at over $1700 per night  ;D

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2022, 12:15:53 AM »
Well in 2019, I believe they announced on April 9 that the lottery would be April 11, so I’m not expecting a lottery announcement terribly soon, especially since CCI has said nothing about hotels yet.

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2022, 08:17:27 AM »
Wow a 2 day notice?  ??? I'm going to have to check this thread and the website daily then

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2022, 08:32:03 AM »
Wow a 2 day notice?  ??? I'm going to have to check this thread and the website daily then

Yeah, it was really obnoxious b/c to complicate things, it was also the first day of Star Wars Celebration.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2022, 09:00:11 AM »
Well in 2019, I believe they announced on April 9 that the lottery would be April 11, so I’m not expecting a lottery announcement terribly soon, especially since CCI has said nothing about hotels yet.
expect nothing till after wondercon
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2022, 12:28:04 PM »
Yeah IIRC I was in Ireland on a HS band performance trip when that all went down.  I was helping someone out and was able to score a pretty good downtown reservation for them; somehow I vaguely remember 'beating' the time difference.  I could also be mistaken that I was able to make the reservation 'virtual sprint' during our performance week, found about the won reservation in Ireland and went from there.

Either way, I do recall 2019 feeling like a bit of a whirlwind experience getting reservations in the lotto/getting the winning e-mail/contacting the person who wanted them to get info to easily change the name/contact info on the reservation.  As a San Diego local that was my first experience with the hotel lotto process and I got the impression I was pretty lucky with what I 'won.'

expect nothing till after wondercon
Yeah, at this point that would be my guess as well.  Post-WonerCon is REALLY gonna be hopping with SDCC info release/prep!!  :o

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »
Found a few hotels at Mission Valley (Hotel Circle) on Hotel.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hotel Iris  $292 per night
Best Western Seven Seas $284
Extended Stay America Suites San Diego $258
Sheraton Mission Valley $293
Atwood $290