Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127651 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #1635 on: January 05, 2022, 06:50:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Some labs are implementing a way for people to track their test like how you would track a package delivery.  The vials have barcodes on them that get scanned at each stage of the process.  So someone can look up where their test is in that process.
I'm going to go to the testing site tomorrow and find out who they are sponsored by. It's not a county site.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #1636 on: January 05, 2022, 09:20:36 PM »
I think the numbers reported in San Diego today are probably the most representative of the real overall situation.  That's because the number of tests reported is pretty much the 7 day average.  Out of 24,730 test 8,204 were positive.  That's a 33% positivity rate which is inline with other big cities.

So I've been hunkering in the house for about a week.  Today I had a weird experience.  I went outside briefly to do some yard work.  I wore a mask not because of covid, but because I always do when doing yard work due to the dust.  When I was done I threw away the mask and sat down to take off my boots.  Right then I hear a "Hello!".  It was someone selling meat door to door.  He wasn't just taking orders.  He had a truck of meat with him.  I haven't really been out and about in the last couple of years, is that a thing now?  Of course he wasn't wearing a mask.  He was also shouting to be heard.  Going door to door selling meat during a big surge in a pandemic without a mask on.  Why?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1637 on: Today at 03:37:59 AM »

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
« Reply #1637 on: January 05, 2022, 09:24:25 PM »
This is what my friend said (who had Leucemia and is an organ transplant person)....and she just had COVID.

I actually think the whole thing is such a crock. And I am fully vaccinated. It's a cold at this point and it's stupid to keep shutting things down. And the fact that they all of a sudden changed the quarantine time from 10 days to 5 days because flights were getting canceled proves that they are making things up on a whim and have zero credibility.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 251
« Reply #1638 on: January 05, 2022, 09:42:06 PM »
Agreed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Me three.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1639 on: January 05, 2022, 09:45:30 PM »
I remember at the very beginning when everyone was all on board, staying indoors, being friendly with neighbors....and then it became political. That was really sad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah. The we're in it together mentality really was a morale booster.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1640 on: January 05, 2022, 09:47:38 PM »
This is what my friend said (who had Leucemia and is an organ transplant person)....and she just had COVID.

I actually think the whole thing is such a crock. And I am fully vaccinated. It's a cold at this point and it's stupid to keep shutting things down. And the fact that they all of a sudden changed the quarantine time from 10 days to 5 days because flights were getting canceled proves that they are making things up on a whim and have zero credibility.

Well, they do have zero credibility because they change rules for all the wrong reasons (like not enough tests, so let's not test; not enough masks, so let's not mask, etc.).

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1641 on: January 05, 2022, 11:52:36 PM »

Your friend is not off base about that.  I've been saying this all along.  Contrary to what the tops of public health say, their recommendations are not based solely on the science.  Their jobs are to turn science into public policy.  In the end, their jobs are political.  There was no clearer demonstration of that than the meetings about the boosters.  One clearly argued point against boosters was that it would send out the message that vaccines don't work.  This while they were trying to convince the unwilling to get vaccinated.  It was purely a political argument.  No science involved.  The same reasoning went into don't recommend masks since we don't have enough.  And now don't test since we don't have enough tests.

As for the specific case of lowering quarantine from 10 to 5 days with no negative test to end isolation, that was economic.  So many people have omicron now that the economy was in danger of shutting down.  There are so many people out that society might not be able to function.  The airline cancellations are an example of that.  It wasn't a recommendation based solely on science.  That's why they've gotten so much push back on the policy change.

I understand why they have to make these tough calls.  We can't allow society to stop working.  Not the least of which is that hospitals are one of those things that may collapse due to so many people not being able to work because they are infected.  But they should be honest about why they have to make those calls.  Don't try to snow us.  Some people have made the tough call and have been honest about it.  In some places, including at the state level in the United States, they have declared that infected and even symptomatic healthcare workers will not have to isolate and will stay on the job.  They have to.  There's no one to replace them.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #1642 on: January 06, 2022, 08:36:40 AM »
... It's a cold at this point and it's stupid to keep shutting things down. ....

it's a little more then a cold and less then the flu. I was laid up for 2-3 days. And really glad i didn't have to leave the house during those 6 days.
vax'ed and boosted.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1643 on: January 06, 2022, 10:30:35 AM »

I actually think the whole thing is such a crock. And I am fully vaccinated. It's a cold at this point and it's stupid to keep shutting things down. And the fact that they all k
This is not entirely accurate.  My brother & sister-in-law got COVID sometime awhile back, fully vaccinated, and they've been REALLY sick for a little over 2 weeks: high fever, nausea, headaches, trouble breathing, etc.  It was never bad enough to have to seriously worry about going to the hospital, but it was definitely not "a cold," and from what by bro-in-law said to my wife "FAR worse than any flu I've ever had."

And of course, that's not saying anything about the serious long-COVID that is only slightly known.  I know someone who got COVID late Feb. 2020 who used to run marathons, Iron Man events, mountain climbing, etc.  Even now, nearly two years later, he struggles having the energy to walk a mile in his neighborhood & his doctor told him he may never be able to do any of those intensive activities ever again.  I personally have had my first "I know someone who died of COVID" experience this week.
So like nearly all aspects in life, this is obviously not a black-and-white issue: not an "I'm vaccinated so it'll be incredibly mild AND magically not be transmissible" or "I got COVID and died."  Obviously the science and statistics are on the side of vaccinated WITH booster shot to not have to go to the hospital or death (though there is a small statistic of folks that will happen to). 

Plus, we have more children in the hospital with COVID now than ever before: some of whom are too young to get a vaccination.  I know a teacher in the east/mid-west who's had a student in their district who died of COVID, and a relatively new parent that has a baby in the NICU struggling with COVID.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1644 on: January 06, 2022, 11:24:45 AM »
And of course, that's not saying anything about the serious long-COVID that is only slightly known.

Exactly so.  As I've said, I think we are making a mistake by making only serious illness and death the metric for success.  Especially since even there we are under considering it.  We are far enough into this pandemic that a study found that a little less than half the people that "recovered" from a serious bout of covid ended up dying in less than a year.  But that's beyond the time that it would be officially attributed to covid.

Long covid is a serious concern.  But it's being muddled in the popular messaging that omicron is the "covid cold".  People with even asymptomatic infection can develop long covid symptoms days, weeks or even months later.  Recent research has hinted at a possible mechanism.  It's not covid directly doing the damage.  Covid can cause autoimmune activation.  It may leave your immune system in a state where it attacks your own body.

Offline puppy

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #1645 on: January 06, 2022, 02:12:48 PM »
Our school district got the antigen tests in. Yay! will be picking one up tomorrow.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #1646 on: January 06, 2022, 02:23:42 PM »
Exactly so.  As I've said, I think we are making a mistake by making only serious illness and death the metric for success.  Especially since even there we are under considering it.  We are far enough into this pandemic that a study found that a little less than half the people that "recovered" from a serious bout of covid ended up dying in less than a year.  But that's beyond the time that it would be officially attributed to covid.

Long covid is a serious concern.  But it's being muddled in the popular messaging that omicron is the "covid cold".  People with even asymptomatic infection can develop long covid symptoms days, weeks or even months later.  Recent research has hinted at a possible mechanism.  It's not covid directly doing the damage.  Covid can cause autoimmune activation.  It may leave your immune system in a state where it attacks your own body.

^^^^^^^ This.

I've heard stories from 2 people who had mild cases:

1.  The person hasn't been able to taste for months.
2.  The person feels terrible about every other week with what feels like a bad cold for months.

Needless to say it is wearing on them heavily.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #1647 on: January 07, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »
Our school district got the antigen tests in. Yay! will be picking one up tomorrow.
Our district also just got the rapid tests in this week; each student will take the kit home today.  It's gonna be a long month, I suspect...  :-X

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #1648 on: January 07, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »
in stock

and out of stock in less then 5 min's

and now it's back in stock --- yeah, the alert is going to be turned off soon LOL

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:04:51 AM by alyssa »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1649 on: January 07, 2022, 11:20:50 AM »
Production on Picard seasons 2 and 3 was shutdown on Monday when 50+ members, including cast, of the production tested positive for covid after returning from winter break.