Author Topic: GONE: Spare HILTON BAYFRONT Hotel Room Available - Con Rate Triple Room  (Read 3594 times)

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 10
I've ended up with a spare hotel room at the Hilton Bayfront, checking in Wednesday, checking out Sunday at the con rate.

This room was reserved through Travel Planners so I do need to be paid back the deposit. I've already had people who don't want to pay me the deposit until in person at check-in (too risky for me!) or who want to pay with Paypal (I can't take Paypal for multiple reasons) so haven't been able to get rid of it yet. Would like this settled ASAP, even today.

I can also sell individual spots within this room (for one or multiple people) but would prefer to have someone or their party take the entire room. There are a few people interested in taking just room spots.

Please send me an email at seerakosumosu[at]gmail[dot]com with the title "SDCC 2014 Room" instead of messages, please.

I believe the room is taken. Everyone enjoy the con! To those who inquired, I'll let you know if it doesn't work out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:18:00 PM by seerakosumosu »

Offline lowgun

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 29
Re: Spare HILTON BAYFRONT Hotel Room Available - Con Rate Triple Room
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
This seems very fishy...

How does waiting to get paid in person risky for you?

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
Wednesday is 4 days away.  If you can't take Paypal and don't want to get paid in person at Con, I'm not seeing many other options.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »
Obvious scam.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »
Need it settled asap but not responding to this thread. Jus sayin

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 07:17:02 PM »
Don't call someone a scammer when you know nothing about me

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wednesday is 4 days away.  If you can't take Paypal and don't want to get paid in person at Con, I'm not seeing many other options.

This question still stands. Also, selling "spots" in a hotel room is logistically troublesome. Whose credit card goes on the room? Yours? Someone's will have to.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 07:32:41 PM by BadWolf »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »

Not saying you are but the forms of payment you are rejecting makes this super sketchy on the buyers end.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »
I've ended up with a spare hotel room at the Hilton Bayfront, checking in Wednesday, checking out Sunday at the con rate.

This room was reserved through Travel Planners so I do need to be paid back the deposit. I've already had people who don't want to pay me the deposit until in person at check-in (too risky for me!) or who want to pay with Paypal (I can't take Paypal for multiple reasons) so haven't been able to get rid of it yet. Would like this settled ASAP, even today.

I can also sell individual spots within this room (for one or multiple people) but would prefer to have someone or their party take the entire room. There are a few people interested in taking just room spots.

Please send me an email at seerakosumosu[at]gmail[dot]com with the title "SDCC 2014 Room" instead of messages, please.

Seerakosumosu, maybe add this link from your room sharing post from 4/23 may help You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  in case the payment options in that thread are available.

I'm not familiar with Hilton BF, can folks change the days of the stay if they decide to get the room for themselves? Does the confirmation show a penalty for changing the date of arrival?

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »

Hahaha ... Don't need to know you to see this is a scam or at the very least ,as other forum members have already stated, a little fishy.   Guaranteed this a squeeze for the deposit.  Don't fall for this.

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
Seerakosumosu, maybe add this link from your room sharing post from 4/23 may help You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  in case the payment options in that thread are available.

I'm not familiar with Hilton BF, can folks change the days of the stay if they decide to get the room for themselves? Does the confirmation show a penalty for changing the date of arrival?

Yes, I've spoken to the hotel and the dates as well as number of people on the room can be changed.
I don't believe there is a penalty. If no one takes the room hopefully I can call the hotel and beg my
way out of the deposit, since I already paid for another room.

I've been screwed before at cons with at-con payments or Paypal, and such a big amount is too risky.
Plus there's a whole laundry list of reasons of why Paypal sucks. I try to avoid it unless if it's an eBay
auction.

And with how small-minded some of the people on these forums are, I can see why a number of con
attendees who I know don't frequent these forums much...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:50:22 PM by seerakosumosu »

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 03:32:09 AM »

Yes, I've spoken to the hotel and the dates as well as number of people on the room can be changed.
I don't believe there is a penalty. If no one takes the room hopefully I can call the hotel and beg my

I've been screwed before at cons with at-con payments or Paypal, and such a big amount is too risky.
Plus there's a whole laundry list of reasons of why Paypal sucks. I try to avoid it unless if it's an eBay
auction.

And with how small-minded some of the people on these forums are, I can see why a number of con

You gotta look at it from the buyers end too. The buyer has to be just as skeptical if not more since scams are aimed at buyers not sellers usually. With the way you presented the payment options it just isn't favorable for many people especially this late in the game and in addition to the urgency and how close con is coming people can't help to be skeptical.  Especially after you became really defensive about being called a scammer.  Its the internet of course we don't know you so we automatically assume the worst when money is involved.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 07:43:44 AM »
As Carlo said you have to look at this from the buyer's perspective.  For example, considering how many con attendees you know I am so shocked that none them wanted to take your room and you had to come back to these forums. 

Since I already paid for another room.

Oh, you've paid for another room.  But you said you had decided on staying in La Jolla. 

From a buyer's perspective; you're scalping a room, never want to meet in person and want $ deposited into your account.  Sounds like a scam and I don't want anyone here to fall for it.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »

Is this room posted on other forums?!

My friends decided to just drive every day from the La Jolla area and I've ended up with a spare room! Trying to fill it ASAP.

Name: seerakosumosu
Hotel: Hilton Bayfront
Days: Wednesday 7/23 - Sunday 7/27
Price: $300 for floor space, $400 for bed space (share a double bed)
Smoking/Drinking: Light drinking outside of the room is accepted
Spaces: 4 spots
Room type: 2 double beds
Age Preference: 18+ preferred
Gender Preference: No

Rules:
  • No damages, theft, or additional charges to the room without permission
  • Shower daily
  • NO smoking but minimal drinking is fine - no parties allowed
  • Avoid inviting guests back to the rooms
  • Quiet in the rooms when someone is sleeping as we all need sleep.
  • Please practice basic common courtesy.
** I've never had this happen but if you do cause problems, you will be kicked out of the
room without a refund and you will be liable for any and all damages.

Payment: Entire payment is due ASAP to reserve your spot. I don’t do at con payments.
Accepted forms of payment are checks, money orders, or online transfers using BofA.
You may also deposit cash directly into my bank account at your local BofA branch.
NO PAYPAL!

1. Please use the subject "SDCC 2014 Room" so that your email doesn't get misdirected.
2. Don't forget to include a link to your facebook, twitter, or some type of online identity
and also include a bit of information about yourself, such as age, gender, and hobbies.
I use "seerakosumosu" everywhere.

If you are not staying in the room, are you just managing the room?  If you are not staying at the HBF, why place limits on swag or co-players?  The advantages of a downtown hotel (for folks who buy large items of swag and cosplayers) limit your buyers on this forum, IMO.

Of the four spots, how many are you and your sister taking?  Seems like the floor spaces may be multiple, if I reread your post from the April thread. How many rooms did the 45 people share, for example.

Include a brief description about yourself: This is the 8th SDCC in a row that my sister and I are attending. We are both in our 20s. I do exhibit hall and signings while she does Hall H. I have run rooms at other conventions before for several years, including running multiple rooms for a group of 30+ people every year at Anime Expo. (Had 45 people this year at Anime Expo last week!)

Additional preferences for roommates: We prefer people who are courteous, organized, clean, and considerate. We do not want partiers or bringing guests back to the room! We tend to get a lot of swag so we would prefer people who don't cosplay or at least won't bring a lot of stuff with them, and make sure to keep their possessions in their side of the room. We only get a couple of hours of sleep a night and head out early in the mornings, so please be considerate of us and quiet hours.

Most of the downtown hotels do have cancellation policies if changes to the arrival date happen less than 7 days before the check-in.  So if you cancel, you may have to forfeit one day's payment.  Plus, hotels may be apt to cancel that one-day fee, if you give the hotel more time to book it (at their regular rates)!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:03:06 AM by SamTurtledove »

Offline seerakosumosu

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »
As Carlo said you have to look at this from the buyer's perspective.  For example, considering how many con attendees you know I am so shocked that none them wanted to take your room and you had to come back to these forums. 

Oh, you've paid for another room.  But you said you had decided on staying in La Jolla. 

From a buyer's perspective; you're scalping a room, never want to meet in person and want $ deposited into your account.  Sounds like a scam and I don't want anyone here to fall for it.

Carlo is reasonable and not accusatory and sarcastic, unlike you.

I never said I decided to stay in La Jolla. I said my friends did. I personally had two rooms for some of my group
and myself at the Bayfront but some of them had to back out recently. I also have lots of other friends that attend
the con who are either staying in their various rooms at the Bayfront, MMM, Manchester Grand, Omni, and the
Hard Rock, Bristol, or just staying in La Jolla (UCSD alumni or current students live in La Jolla).

I never accuse anyone without getting to know them, reading their profile, posts, etc.

I never said I can't meet anyone on Wednesday, I have offered to meet with people who have contacted me to
make sure everything goes smoothly, but I can't take the risk of depending on cash that day, as I have said before.
I have been screwed before.

You're just unreasonable and accusatory, putting words in my mouth.

As for at Anime expo, we had 6 regular rooms and a suite.

I will have to speak to someone at the reservations department tomorrow but obviously I do not want to have to
resort to canceling, since I'd be out the deposit.

I understand everyone's caution and wary but I didn't think I'd be attacked like this. I think anyone who was
attacked the way I was would be upset and defensive.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:26:42 PM by seerakosumosu »