Author Topic: SDCC@HOME general Chat, Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?  (Read 20104 times)

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
Re: Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 04:56:55 AM »
I think it's an interesting idea but not sure I'd pop in for anything. I'd be curious to see how it all works out.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 06:55:08 AM »
Easy pass, if this is what it is I'll quickly be requesting a refund.

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: SDCC@HOME general Chat, Virtual SD Comic-Con Programming?
« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:46:34 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It'll be interesting to see how this works out--

"Event producers Experience Level Entertainment, Kaleidoko, Legion M, and Collider have come together to create VIRTUAL FAN EXPO 2020 - and the future of pop culture conventions is here!

Going live on Saturday May 2nd, and Sunday May 3rd - VIRTUAL FAN EXPO 2020 is a jam-packed, two-day, online, and COMPLETELY FREE (both to attendees and vendors) event! Featuring celebrities, artists, vendors, panels, interviews cosplay, and so much more!

VIRTUAL FAN EXPO 2020 is the ultimate celebration of pop culture community - but in a safe, inclusive, virtual environment."

Yes!  The mini-cons are back.  In virtual form.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 07:21:17 PM »
After reading the other SDCC cancellation thread, it did make me wonder: why would Hollywood studios participate in an exclusive con? At this point, the studios have lost a lot of money not being able to release their movies. I would expect them to want to mass promote their movies instead of keeping content exclusive for specific comic con fans. Why bother with celeb meet & greets and autograph giveaways to comic con fans then they can open these contests and giveaways up to fans worldwide? Same with exclusive panels when they can hold a general panel and put it on Youtube and allow everyone to watch?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 07:32:32 PM »
After reading the other SDCC cancellation thread, it did make me wonder: why would Hollywood studios participate in an exclusive con? At this point, the studios have lost a lot of money not being able to release their movies. I would expect them to want to mass promote their movies instead of keeping content exclusive for specific comic con fans. Why bother with celeb meet & greets and autograph giveaways to comic con fans then they can open these contests and giveaways up to fans worldwide? Same with exclusive panels when they can hold a general panel and put it on Youtube and allow everyone to watch?

Branding.  In pop culture the SDCC brand pulls a lot of weight.  Also maintaining a mutually beneficial relationship.  Sooner or later, there will be another comic-con at the convention center.  But they don't need to be exclusive.  They never are.  Studios promote their products across as many outlets as they can.  Even that "exclusive" comic-con clip is on youtube shortly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:41:49 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »
I guess that's what confuses me. If the studio participations in a virtual SDCC are not exclusive, then why would we regular attendees want to pay for this virtual comic con?

Offline mdla

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 171
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
Article from Collider advocating for a virtual-SDCC: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline realninjaturtle

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 03:20:15 PM »
Panels is one thing. That is doable virtually. But how they going to do the rest of it? Are they going to have the Funko and other lotteries virtual? Would they set up a storefront for every vendor? Would they honor the badge days? Sounds like a cluster%@#$ to me. Swag and offsite events would be gone.

Most definitely not worth the badge price. And what about those with lousy or no internet connection?

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 04:29:31 PM »
Panels is one thing. That is doable virtually. But how they going to do the rest of it? Are they going to have the Funko and other lotteries virtual? Would they set up a storefront for every vendor? Would they honor the badge days? Sounds like a cluster%@#$ to me. Swag and offsite events would be gone.

The Funko lottery (or any popular vendor exclusive lottery) is probably just about the only thing that would work better virtually, in my opinion. And as much as it may be a cluster, I don’t think anyone can argue that the in-person Funko/Hasbro/etc booths aren’t a cluster either.

Most definitely not worth the badge price. And what about those with lousy or no internet connection?

Most people have internet. If they don’t, why would this be SDCC’s problem? Going to SDCC requires internet use as well (to buy/coordinate badges, get email with barcode, book hotels, etc)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:34:09 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 06:44:51 PM »
Most definitely not worth the badge price.

I really don't understand why people keep thinking that CCI will keep the money people paid for comic-con and then just give them a virtual one instead.  I think that virtual comic-con will either be much cheaper or free.

Swag and offsite events would be gone.

Why's that?  We got swag in the mail last year even with real comic-con.  There have been virtual offsites before.  ELE who puts on a bunch of offsites at comic-con has already announced their virtual mini-con.  Some of the offsites could be done virtually since they have sizeable VR experiences.  Everything from the HBO one last year to the Blade Runner one to the Mr. Robot one To the Mr. Mercedes one to the Legendary one from years gone by.  I even ask if I can just do it at home since being a germophobe, I don't want to use a headset some else just sweated all over.  Legendary did have disposable face protectors.  Even with those, in the age of covid, there's no way I would share a VR headset with anyone.

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:21 PM »
For those hoping for a big virtual SDCC... you might look at what they did for WonderCon. They posted about it, what, Friday night? They did exactly one panel.

I think we'll get things, and more than we got for WonderCon, but I'd temper my expectations. I also personally think it's much more likely EW or even the studios will do cool virtual panels than CCI will.

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
I think Wondercon posted a bunch of old panels too, but it definitely wasn't a major web presence. And, sadly, there wasn't much follow through. They encouraged people to dress up at home and post pictures for their "cosplay contest", saying they would feature ten of them... it's been over a week and they haven't featured anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »
I think Wondercon posted a bunch of old panels too, but it definitely wasn't a major web presence. And, sadly, there wasn't much follow through. They encouraged people to dress up at home and post pictures for their "cosplay contest", saying they would feature ten of them... it's been over a week and they haven't featured anyone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, they did post some old panels - but I mean only one 2020 panel.

As for the cosplay, to be fair, if you checked the tag, there were hardly any entries. They gave like NO notice on any of it though.

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »

Souvenir Book

An Important Announcement Regarding the 2020 Comic-Con Souvenir Book

As you’ve probably heard, there will be no Comic-Con in 2020, but we’ll return in 2021! Click here for details.

However, we are still planning on doing the 2020 Souvenir Book as a downloadable PDF! If anything, this will mean your art will be seen by even more people. The PDF will be available on or around the original start date for Comic-Con 2020, July 23.

We’re going to extend our deadline for art and articles until Friday, May 1, 2020 at 11:59 PM. We appreciate everyone who has already sent in submissions for this year’s book, and we’ll be considering everything that has been sent for inclusion in the PDF, from January when we first made our announcement about this year’s anniversaries, to May 1, the extended deadline for submissions. As always, submission of a piece of art or an article is not a guarantee of placement in the book.

Stay tuned for more announcements and thank you for your submissions to the Souvenir Book.

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »
As for the cosplay, to be fair, if you checked the tag, there were hardly any entries. They gave like NO notice on any of it though.

There were a few hundred entries - including mine, which I spent a decent amount of time doing my makeup for - although admittedly most of them seemed to have been taken at previous cons instead of actually "at home".

But irregardless, it does drive home the point that while a good (or even great) "virtual" con might be possible, I don't know that CCI has the skillset to run one. As of this year at least.