Author Topic: Random Chat  (Read 116768 times)

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
Re: Random Chat
« Reply #795 on: May 05, 2023, 04:11:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So... you're paying your HBF bill as you wait on the lawn for hall H? Sounds about right for SDCC.... ;)
Is there another way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #796 on: May 06, 2023, 04:16:16 AM »
So... you're paying your HBF bill as you wait on the lawn for hall H? Sounds about right for SDCC.... ;)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #797 on: Today at 03:18:47 AM »

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #797 on: July 15, 2023, 07:29:22 PM »
So I'm now looking for other things to do in San Diego during Comic-Con, has anyone done the Whaley House Paranormal Investigation tour in Old Town? It seems like a lot of money to me, but my son wants to do it.

Link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #798 on: July 16, 2023, 09:48:20 AM »
So I'm now looking for other things to do in San Diego during Comic-Con, has anyone done the Whaley House Paranormal Investigation tour in Old Town? It seems like a lot of money to me, but my son wants to do it.

Go for it!! I wasn't aware of this house, looks like an interesting place to visit!

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #799 on: July 16, 2023, 10:08:12 AM »

I have to admit, I’d never been to Old Town and only knew it from the light rail stop from years of SDCC. My parents were in San Diego for a medical convention in May, and I wound up spending the afternoon with my Mom in Old Town. It’s charming as hell. And I scoped out the Paranormal Investigation Tour, but the timing wasn’t right… I’m eager to hear about your experience if you wind up doing it!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #800 on: July 16, 2023, 10:42:15 AM »
So I'm now looking for other things to do in San Diego during Comic-Con[/url]

I've mentioned it in previous years, but in line with the comic-con theme, there's a BOOK OFF in Kearny Mesa.  BOOK OFF is a chain of Japanese thrift stores.  But don't mistake it with Goodwill.  Japanese thrift stores have high standards.  There are a bunch of OFFs in Japan.  BOOK OFF is books and other media.  HARD OFF is computer equipment.  MODE OFF is clothes.  The San Diego BOOK OFF has experimented with a bunch of combinations, they used to devote significant space to clothes and musical instruments.  Now they've settled on being basically a BOOK OFF plus.  It's mainly books, dvds, blurays.  But there's a healthy dose of computer equipment and collectibles.  The Funko wall is pretty impressive now.  They have a wide selection from Funko to Star Wars Black Series to Sideshow.  Of particular interest to me is that they can have Japanese only goods from cameras to manga to collectibles.  They even have a decent selection of small loose collectibles in baggies like Otaku stores have in Japan.  BOOK OFF and the nearby Tokyo Central are my substitute Japan experiences. Tokyo Central is like a mini Don Quijote.  It also happens to be the Gundam Bandai Flagship store in the United States.

So if dealers on the exhibit floor aren't enough, these stores are an alternative.  It is possible to get there by public transportation, I've done it.  But is much easier by car.

Offline CarrieD

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »

I've done a ghost tour in Old Town at night, went to various points and the graveyard. It was creapy. My friends loved it. The one we went on I think was just a walking tour around and was only about $35.
SDCC 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
SWCO 2017
FanExpo Canada 2018
Montreal CC  2016, 2019, 2022
Ottawa CC 2016, 2017

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #802 on: July 20, 2023, 07:47:15 PM »
Happy happy for from the admins

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #803 on: August 04, 2023, 03:29:48 PM »
I dug through the forum looking for where to post this and this seemed like the best spot. I've inherited a fantasy manuscript that belonged to one of my high school friends. He died tragically in 2020 and no one is 100% sure what happened. He was an artist in Miami and owned a Painting with a Twist there. He had been working on this book for a while and sent me about 420 pages of it back in 2008. I actually forgot I had it until just this past year and I started to read through it. Its high fantasy and so far is excellent. I've been in contact with his family to see if there are more pages or if there is a more recent version on any of his computers. I also have some of his artwork for the book. I want to attempt to get it published with the money going to his family. His sudden and unexpected death resulted in a lot of medical bills and other expenses for them and even if we only sell it to friends and family, it will help. So, my question is, does anyone have any experience with getting a book published and should I self-publish or look for an agent? I've been researching both options.

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #804 on: August 09, 2023, 10:00:54 AM »
Are you fan of Pokemon? Do you live in the LA area or visiting from out of town? Then check out this FREE pokemon exhibit in Hollywood. I just went this past weekend and it was so cool to see Pokemon in different art works of metal, ceramic, pottery. It only takes about 30-45 minutes to see all the art pieces. Definitely worth checking out.

"Playful images of Pikachu, Rowlet, Litten and Popplio stencil-dyed onto silk cloth, a Charizard integrated into a large ceramic jar and a dazzling Jolteon sculpted from individual pieces of gold-and silver-plated copper hammered into the shape of lightning bolts – these are some of the ingenious creations in POKÉMON X KOGEI | Playful Encounters of Pokémon and Japanese Craft, the new exhibition at JAPAN HOUSE Los Angeles from July 25, 2023 to January 7, 2024. The exhibition brings together two of Japan’s most celebrated contributions to world culture – beloved characters from one of the world’s biggest entertainment franchises and craft that has evolved and been refined over centuries."

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #805 on: August 09, 2023, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks, will definitely try to go see this with the family
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #806 on: November 30, 2023, 04:51:05 AM »
OK, this is pretty cool.  If you're looking for a quick way to create a new profile image, this is pretty sweet to play with.

"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"