Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion  (Read 26296 times)

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
Re: SDCC 2020 Volunteer Discussion
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2020, 12:57:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I would love to not have to go to Marriott every day to sign up but at the same time it would feel like another ticket sale and I don't want that.

I can't get to this link.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
I can't get to this link.

you need to make an account then click on account tab then my volunteer jobs

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #122 on: Today at 12:54:03 PM »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2020, 11:25:45 PM »
I have mixed feelings. On one hand I would love to not have to go to Marriott every day to sign up but at the same time it would feel like another ticket sale and I don't want that.

I don't like it.  I think it will turn getting a volunteer assignment into just another online sale.  How does that always go?  Look at the exclusives this year.  Look at getting conan tickets every year.

Since it lists your assignment and even the team lead, there will be a rush for the good assignments like Hall H.  It will turn into another mad online rush.

I don't mind going to get an assignment.  I kind of like going to HQ everyday.  I like the surprise of picking a time and getting a random assignment or picking an assignment and getting a random time.  For me, it's part of the comic-con volunteer experience.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2020, 12:18:48 AM »

Since it lists your assignment and even the team lead, there will be a rush for the good assignments like Hall H.  It will turn into another mad online rush.

They could just make it so you can only pick your preferred time slot instead of allowing to pick your assignment. Listing the assignment and lead could just be for reference to where and who to check in with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:32:29 AM by Car_Low »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »
They could just make it so you can only pick your preferred time slot instead of allowing to pick your assignment. Listing the assignment and lead could just be for reference to where and who to check in with.

They would also have to not allow for cancellations and reassignment or people will just keep spinning the volunteer roulette wheel until they get the assignment they want.

I don't think doing away with the central checkin staging area would be a good idea.  Many volunteers don't know where a lot of places are.  I've met some that don't know where Hall H is.  I don't see how many people would find that one place out on the sidewalk that a volunteer coordinator is for line management.

Having a central staging area is more efficient than every post having their own.  Many posts are busy enough without having to also deal with volunteers coming in piecemeal.  A central staging area also allows for reassignment.  About a third of the time the job I do is not the one I signed up for.  Once people show up, some assignments have way too many people while others don't have nearly enough.  So real time balancing happens at the staging area.

I think not having a central staging area would lead to mass confusion.  In the existing system there is no need for a volunteer to know who the lead is.  The lead can change in an instant.  If a volunteer is tasked with looking for one person in particular, that's going to be a problem.  It's even hard to tell what your assignment is in the current system.  That brief description on the card is obscure many times.  What your job is when you get Line Management can be so many different things.  I've gotten assignments where I couldn't even begin to figure out what it is from what it says on the card.  With central staging I don't need to know.  I'm just told what sign to stand under after I check in.

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »
They would also have to not allow for cancellations and reassignment or people will just keep spinning the volunteer roulette wheel until they get the assignment they want.

Have the assignment hidden until a set cutoff time for cancellations and reassignments after that you are locked in.

I don't think doing away with the central checkin staging area would be a good idea.  Many volunteers don't know where a lot of places are.  I've met some that don't know where Hall H is.  I don't see how many people would find that one place out on the sidewalk that a volunteer coordinator is for line management.

I think not having a central staging area would lead to mass confusion.  In the existing system there is no need for a volunteer to know who the lead is.  The lead can change in an instant.  If a volunteer is tasked with looking for one person in particular, that's going to be a problem.  It's even hard to tell what your assignment is in the current system.  That brief description on the card is obscure many times.  What your job is when you get Line Management can be so many different things.  I've gotten assignments where I couldn't even begin to figure out what it is from what it says on the card.  With central staging I don't need to know.  I'm just told what sign to stand under after I check in.

You can still do a central check in with online assignment if needed. With online assignments you free up volunteer staff to do other duties.

The online system could also just be for volunteers to track their check ins and check outs without having the paper stub anymore.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:12:36 PM by Car_Low »

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2020, 05:59:06 PM »
you need to make an account then click on account tab then my volunteer jobs

I have an account, and I'm a volunteer.  When I go to the tab, this link is not there.

i see now.  i had to add an account to the Merch Store.

If they're changing the volunteer process, which I kind of doubt, it makes no sense to me that it would be under the Merch Store.  But what do I know.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:10:47 PM by sessionka »
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2020, 01:00:07 PM »
Text change,  later this fall has become early next year

Daily Volunteers

If you were registered as a daily volunteer for Comic-Con 2020, you will have to re-register for Comic-Con 2021 early next year. Returning Comic-Con 2020 daily volunteers are guaranteed to get into the 2021 daily volunteer program when they register online. An email notice will be sent when daily volunteer registration opens for Comic-Con 2021. Do not opt out of emails from us, or you may miss the notice.

If you have never volunteered before and would like to volunteer for Comic-Con 2021, we will open the Daily Volunteer Interest List at a later date. Getting on the Interest List does not guarantee that you will get into the daily volunteer program, but it does give you a chance to apply. Please check this page frequently for updates, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest registration announcements.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2020, 06:25:40 PM »
Text change,  later this fall has become early next year

thanks You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5