Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74451 times)

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2020, 10:41:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The badge refund deadline is May 13th.  If the hotel sale hasn't happened by April 30th then CCI will get a TON of refund requests is my guess.  And hopefully that will push them to go ahead and cancel.  I'm personally going to hold out as long as possible, so when they do cancel there will hopefully be a choice to roll badges to 2021 (and avoid the 10% refund fee as well).
I agree with your assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Catechie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2020, 02:12:33 PM »
I agree as well. We've tried for 5 years to get badges and this was our first time. I really hope they will push us to 2021 if they cancel.
I agree with your assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #437 on: Today at 07:15:00 AM »

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
I agree as well. We've tried for 5 years to get badges and this was our first time. I really hope they will push us to 2021 if they cancel.
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Me too. Even if they did have it this year, it would be a disappointment and not worth the expense. What they also could do is put a 50% off coupon in the SDCC swag bag or badge box for a future Con.

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #438 on: April 06, 2020, 08:52:40 AM »
The badge refund deadline is May 13th.  If the hotel sale hasn't happened by April 30th then CCI will get a TON of refund requests is my guess.  And hopefully that will push them to go ahead and cancel.  I'm personally going to hold out as long as possible, so when they do cancel there will hopefully be a choice to roll badges to 2021 (and avoid the 10% refund fee as well).

Like Wondercon, if SDCC is canceled, they will refund all badges. Hold you badges, it would be silly to ask for a refund with the 10% fee charge at this point. not to mention, under the circumstances they would have to soften their policy on refunds. ECCC did prior to the official cancellation.

As difficult as badges are to get, offering to roll over is a good idea... but they should not only allow people to get refunds, but to keep their status for pre-registration from the prior year. This way if people need the money now, they can get it with the hopes of buying new badges come October when hopefully things are little more back to normal.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 09:02:23 AM by conventiongeek »

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #439 on: April 06, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
Like Wondercon, if SDCC is canceled, they will refund all badges. Hold you badges, it would be silly to ask for a refund with the 10% fee charge at this point. not to mention, under the circumstances they would have to soften their policy on refunds. ECCC did prior to the official cancellation.

As difficult as badges are to get, offering to roll over is a good idea... but they should not only allow people to get refunds, but to keep their status for pre-registration from the prior year. This way if people need the money now, they can get it with the hopes of buying new badges come October when hopefully things are little more back to normal.
Problem is, if you don't want to go and SDCC decides to go ahead, even though it would be a really terrible show, you lose all your money on your badge. I can see all those empty booths and panels now.

If SDCC decides to do the show, then they should offer some incredible swag to those who took the risk along with coupons for next years event.

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
« Reply #440 on: April 06, 2020, 09:00:49 AM »

Here’s the thing though... SDCC can’t be 100% sure the con is happening until it actually happens. They may get the okay from the city and state, and they may get all the hotels to buy in, but as we’ve all experienced lately, things can change overnight. Who’s to say the government won’t order a new Shelter in Place come July, after any potential hotel sale has occurred? Or at the last minute, the city decides, SDCC is just too high a risk. Or another possible scenario; it’s discovered someone attended Preview Night has COVID-19, and they shut down the rest of SDCC. If you say no refunds, you’ve just opened yourself to one huge lawsuit from tens of thousands of angry nerds.

In this climate, you need more assurances that you can get your money back, not less. Especially with unemployment skyrocketing and people with less spending cash (if you’re one of those, you probably shouldn’t be going to SDCC anyway, but that’s a different topic).

I'd don't think people need to worry about getting money back through Onpeak as it is a product of SDCC. Even hotels and airlines that have a no refund policy, have softened their stance in these times. You don't actually think they would force people to use their hotels in the convention is canceled outright?

If someone at preview night test positive, we'd not likely know until after the convention ends... by then too late. the other thing is that until their is a vaccine, people are going to have to understand the risk of going out in public. CCI can not be held responsible because some yahoo out there infected people with the virus.
I suppose new security will be set up... scan your badge, take a test.... lol  Maybe if they can actually get enough test kits to actually have the general public test at will, then they can require each attendee to provide proof of a negative test before entry. Will take longer, but worth not dying over.

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
« Reply #441 on: April 06, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Problem is, if you don't want to go and SDCC decides to go ahead, even though it would be a really terrible show, you lose all your money on your badge. I can see all those empty booths and panels now.

If SDCC decides to do the show, then they should offer some incredible swag to those who took the risk along with coupons for next years event.

That's why i sadi they are going to have to soften their stance on refunds. As we get closer, there are going to be people who do not feel comfortable going if it happen. This is not a normal circumstance and they (like Airlines, Cruises, Hotels right now) will have to give a shorter window it people want to cancel.

Unfortunately, like ECCC this year... I got the impression that they wanted it to happen, but the number to people who canceled and requested refunds may have been to great for them to consider... or course the NBA shut down day before, and that may have put them over the edge.

The big picture is that even if things open in the next month or so, people will be scared to go out, vendor, celeb's, studios and the like... so it's not looking good right now.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
I suppose new security will be set up... scan your badge, take a test.... lol  Maybe if they can actually get enough test kits to actually have the general public test at will, then they can require each attendee to provide proof of a negative test before entry. Will take longer, but worth not dying over.

Unless they have a huge number of machines, then the line to get tested would be massive.  If they don't test onsite, then like any drug test, how would they know it was you that got tested?

The way it works in China is before you enter any building, you can a QR code with your phone.  Your phone shows them your status.  If it's not green then you are not allowed to enter.  Your status is calculated through the use of big data.  It's how Singapore did it's targeted quarantines.  They are working on doing something similar in Europe as well.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2020, 11:39:56 AM »
Unless they have a huge number of machines, then the line to get tested would be massive.  If they don't test onsite, then like any drug test, how would they know it was you that got tested?

The way it works in China is before you enter any building, you can a QR code with your phone.  Your phone shows them your status.  If it's not green then you are not allowed to enter.  Your status is calculated through the use of big data.  It's how Singapore did it's targeted quarantines.  They are working on doing something similar in Europe as well.
We are not that organized in this country. Never will be with this Administration. They can't even do testing for everyone or provide protection for all our health workers. We need new leadership.

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #444 on: April 06, 2020, 11:42:16 AM »
Come on guys, stop daydreaming with the onsite testing, imagine the chaos if someone tests positive in the middle of a line, cant imagine the panic... SDCC will hopefully do the right thing and cancel

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Yeh, we can't have people lining up to take a test before entering, the line for the test would make the whole process worthless.  I mean, even with the newish "you can't even be on the sidewalk in front of the convention center" barriers it is a packed madhouse out there.  And the streets in the Gaslamp are always walk to wall bodies. 

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2020, 05:33:07 PM »
for archive

All the 11 Early Bird Hotels are listed as unavailable.

The date for "name changes and adding nights to your stay must be submitted to onPeak by April 20, 2020" is unchanged.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 08:17:40 PM by SamTurtledove »

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #447 on: April 06, 2020, 11:05:12 PM »
I'd don't think people need to worry about getting money back through Onpeak as it is a product of SDCC. Even hotels and airlines that have a no refund policy, have softened their stance in these times. You don't actually think they would force people to use their hotels in the convention is canceled outright?

If someone at preview night test positive, we'd not likely know until after the convention ends... by then too late. the other thing is that until their is a vaccine, people are going to have to understand the risk of going out in public. CCI can not be held responsible because some yahoo out there infected people with the virus.

If you re-read the thread, I was responding to someone else who said there shouldn't be refunds, and I was arguing against it.

Personally, I *DO* think refunds would be given. As I said in the same thread, "In this climate, you need more assurances that you can get your money back, not less" as to why hotels would be giving refunds.

My main point was holding a hotel sale later than usual, up to two months later, is fraught with peril.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #448 on: April 07, 2020, 12:01:40 AM »
If you re-read the thread, I was responding to someone else who said there shouldn't be refunds, and I was arguing against it.

Personally, I *DO* think refunds would be given. As I said in the same thread, "In this climate, you need more assurances that you can get your money back, not less" as to why hotels would be giving refunds.

My main point was holding a hotel sale later than usual, up to two months later, is fraught with peril.

I didn’t say that there shouldn’t be refunds if the con gets canceled. When they cancel the event, the hotel block also gets canceled and refunded. That’s standard procedure. I saying was that a June hotel sale shouldn’t necessitate them to push back the refund deadline, as people should know by then if they plan to go or not. But I agree with you that in this climate, more assurances you can get your money back would be helpful.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #449 on: April 07, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
Denver Pop Culture Con has been postponed which was originally scheduled for the 4th of July weekend. I believe SDCC is in the process of negotiating a later date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk