Author Topic: Met a Celebrity at SDCC? Share Your Stories and Advice!  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
Re: Met a Celebrity at SDCC? Share Your Stories and Advice!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
I think they like the pendry because its a few blocks away and they can chill a bit. It also has lots of parties and industry stuff going on so why not hang out? They have basement lounge bar underneath the hotel which if I was a celeb thats where I'd be.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
Guess my question was why industries chose the Pendry of all places.  It's not the closest or fanciest.  But yeah celebs hanging out where their industry events are makes sense. But the source of my curiosity... why there? lol. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:20:59 AM »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
Probably because it's a little further away, they don't seem to book rooms to attendees, and so they can relax there a bit more unbothered and semi off the radar

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 03:36:24 PM »
Probably because it's a little further away, they don't seem to book rooms to attendees, and so they can relax there a bit more unbothered and semi off the radar

That does make sense.  I think Solamar does some BBC stuff. That's where I ran into Peter Capaldi in the elevator.  And NBC does stuff there too.  But the difference is that they DO book rooms for regular con attendees there. They just also do other stuff.  Sort of like Hilton Bayfront.  If Bayfront went industry ONLY there would be outrage lmao

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »
That does make sense.  I think Solamar does some BBC stuff. That's where I ran into Peter Capaldi in the elevator.  And NBC does stuff there too.  But the difference is that they DO book rooms for regular con attendees there. They just also do other stuff.  Sort of like Hilton Bayfront.  If Bayfront went industry ONLY there would be outrage lmao
I think it's too big to go industry only. Pendry is pretty small. I wonder if Bristol went industry only or just didn't wanna cooperate with CCI this year. It's a little bit seedy on the outside to go industry LOL, so I am unsure. It IS rather hidden and unassuming though

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
I think it's too big to go industry only. Pendry is pretty small. I wonder if Bristol went industry only or just didn't wanna cooperate with CCI this year. It's a little bit seedy on the outside to go industry LOL, so I am unsure. It IS rather hidden and unassuming though

I can't remember which thread this discussion was in, but I said the exact same thing about Bristol.  It's definitely a boutique hotel and not something big industry folk would likely want to put their celebrity guests.  That said, there are smaller companies with lower budgets that might be okay putting their people there.  Like, I don't expect HBO to do it. But maybe, like, FreeForm TV?  Or even an indie book or comic publisher, because sadly there's not as much money in print as there is in TV/Film.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »

Agree. When I saw Goldblum and Chris Meloni it was the middle of the day and there weren't that many people around.

There is no chill at the Bayfront and MMM  :P

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
There is no chill at the Bayfront and MMM  :P

LMAO 100% fact.  I believe the CW houses some of their celebs at Bayfront and they get mobbed in the lobby quite regularly.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
I would have to say to be 100% sure that you want to meet them if you admire their work.  They can be tired/rude and it can leave a sour aftertaste.

If you're 100% sure, be prepared to be tongue tied and to act a like a fool.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 08:11:38 AM »
Guess my question was why industries chose the Pendry of all places.  It's not the closest or fanciest.  But yeah celebs hanging out where their industry events are makes sense. But the source of my curiosity... why there? lol.

I think it's a combination of reasons.  When the Pendry was getting built, it was marketing itself as the "hip" new place.  I suspect they reached out to travel planners at the major studios/networks and offered them a good deal to get blocks of rooms.  As it turned out, they were really successful and the hotel has few, if any, fans staying there.  That would be up the appeal to the celebrities since they love to mingle with one another without fear some fan is sneaking their picture.

When you think about it, it's the one con hotel that has almost no fans staying there.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
I think it's a combination of reasons.  When the Pendry was getting built, it was marketing itself as the "hip" new place.  I suspect they reached out to travel planners at the major studios/networks and offered them a good deal to get blocks of rooms.  As it turned out, they were really successful and the hotel has few, if any, fans staying there.  That would be up the appeal to the celebrities since they love to mingle with one another without fear some fan is sneaking their picture.

When you think about it, it's the one con hotel that has almost no fans staying there.

Very good point about the marketing! That makes a lot of sense and I can see how studios would find that appealing.  Especially SyFy.  Because I will never forget that SyFy switched from "SciFi" because "SyFy" sounded more "hip" and like "text speech"  :D  lol.  I can see this being the reason.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 12:45:58 PM »
I know for Interpublic Group, big ad conglomerate which includes a few talent companies (Rogers & Cowan, who represent Brie Larson and Michael B Jordan), Pendry is the preferred hotel for corporate travel in San Diego. 

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 06:59:55 PM »
Very good point about the marketing! That makes a lot of sense and I can see how studios would find that appealing.  Especially SyFy.  Because I will never forget that SyFy switched from "SciFi" because "SyFy" sounded more "hip" and like "text speech"  :D  lol.  I can see this being the reason.

Years ago, Syfy put their people up at the W, which is no longer there, but is pretty far from the con. Then, they switched to the Solamar for many years. Now, it’s the Pendry.  None of these have ever been top hotels for fans.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »

Hipness was not the reason NBC changed the name of the channel from "SciFi" to "SyFy".  It was a matter of ownership.  SciFi is a common term.  It can't be trademarked.  Nothing stopped someone else from starting another channel and calling it SciFi as well.  So NBC renamed it "SyFy" since that can be trademarked in order to protect their intellectual property.  The name was changed for legal reasons.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
Years ago, Syfy put their people up at the W, which is no longer there, but is pretty far from the con. Then, they switched to the Solamar for many years. Now, it’s the Pendry.  None of these have ever been top hotels for fans.

SyFy definitely has a pattern.

Hipness was not the reason NBC changed the name of the channel from "SciFi" to "SyFy".  It was a matter of ownership.  SciFi is a common term.  It can't be trademarked.  Nothing stopped someone else from starting another channel and calling it SciFi as well.  So NBC renamed it "SyFy" since that can be trademarked in order to protect their intellectual property.  The name was changed for legal reasons.

First of all, my emoji indicates I wasn't being entirely serious.  Second of all, that IS the reason the executives gave when the news first broke.  It was obviously a dumb reason and they were made fun of thoroughly for it.  I remember it suuuuuper well.  The executives quotes about how it was hip and "text speak" were memes on Tumblr for like a solid year.  So take up that reputation with the execs because that's their silly reason, not mine.