Author Topic: Post your questions about public transportation here  (Read 137494 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Post your questions about public transportation here
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
lines to do anything are horrendously long at 7pm

It once took us 20 minutes just to cross the street (using the traffic lights, to get into the Gaslamp) at 7 pm!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »
My son and I do any thing to avoid leaving at that time, even as a back up, sitting down and sorting swag.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 09:12:02 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
This is one time we are glad to have a hotel next to the convention center!

Alyssa, you can always go to one of the hotels (Marriott or Hilton) and sit in the lobby. No one would question it. Also, there is a nice sports bar (good menu, reasonable prices) at the Hilton Bayfront which can be easily reached, if you want to have dinner before you leave the area.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »
^_^ Anyways, getting back on-topic:

Here are a few more links to different types of public transportation in San Diego.

North County Transit District (NCTD): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If you're coming from further away in San Diego county--such as Oceanside, Escondido, etc.--that's a good website to check out first.

Here is a list of tips on how to use the Trip Planner on the SDMTS website: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For reference, here is the trip planner: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Some more information about riding the MTS buses or trolleys: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For those coming from the airport and using public transportation, here's a good web page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This gives you a few details about which bus routes to take to get to the convention center area, if you have a hotel in Downtown.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:04:53 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Sprzout

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
If I get to Amtrak on sat early am like 5 is there a trolly going there where can I check?is it free or do I pre pay?

If you take the Amtrak to the Santa Fe Depot, there is a trolley stop AT the Santa Fe Depot. You simply cross the trolley tracks when you get off the train and pick up the trolley from there to the Convention Center.

In previous years, you would have to take a trolley from Santa Fe Depot to the American Plaza Station and switch to the Orange Line that would then go down to the Convention Center. You MIGHT still have that issue, because I don't know if they'll have a "Special Event" trolley running from Old Town to the Convention Center at the time you might arrive. If they don't, here's what you do:

1) Debark the train and walk through the Santa Fe Depot.

2) Cross Kettner Blvd.

3) Walk into the American Plaza transit station and purchase your trolley ticket to the Convention Center (Orange Line).

Seriously, it's like, 50 ft., if that? :) And that way, you get one one trolley and don't have to worry, "Geez, did I get on an Orange Line or a Blue Line trolley that's not going by the convention center?" Right there at that area, it's a cluster@$#@ of bad design and confusion for mass transit.

Just want to help everyone, my dad and I have suffered through this for several years now when we've gone down to pick up badges.

Offline jesslarsen21

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »
I was wondering if there are any stops along the free shuttle service that have free parking? My group is staying with some family, and we're either going to have to drive to catch the trolley, or drive to catch the shuttle, and the shuttle is free. So if there is a place to park that'd be awesome! And if there is, will it basically be impossible to find a parking place? It's our first time, and we're pretty excited (and a hell of a lot more nervous). :)

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:02 PM »
I was wondering if there are any stops along the free shuttle service that have free parking? My group is staying with some family, and we're either going to have to drive to catch the trolley, or drive to catch the shuttle, and the shuttle is free. So if there is a place to park that'd be awesome! And if there is, will it basically be impossible to find a parking place? It's our first time, and we're pretty excited (and a hell of a lot more nervous). :)

I don't think there's such a thing as free parking in the area. I believe alot of folks park at Qualcomm and then take the trolley in. That's your easiest option.

They do sell pre-paid parking and there are still some lots w/ space left.  Go here:

You can also ask more specific parking questions here:

...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
just to echo what khanh said, free parking at qualcom is the simplest.  however, the trolley does cost $15 for the weekend.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
  we're either going to have to drive to catch the trolley, or drive to catch the shuttle, and the shuttle is free. 
For baseball games (and sometimes preview nite) I have parked at the 8th ave trolley station and taken the trolley north to the ballpark/convention area. Trolley parking is free, not sure how quickly that little lot fills up though but never had a problem during ballgames.

"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline phil pinson

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »
For baseball games (and sometimes preview nite) I have parked at the 8th ave trolley station and taken the trolley north to the ballpark/convention area. Trolley parking is free, not sure how quickly that little lot fills up though but never had a problem during ballgames.

thankfully there are no games this year during con.  woot woot

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 09:53:57 AM »
i dont think there have been any games during comic con for a few years now.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Offline MegaDoug

• Gaming Lounge
  • Comic Con, where all are accepted as they are
    • my music, my love
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
i dont think there have been any games during comic con for a few years now.
Very true Khan, I think they learned that lesson quickly, the first year the ballpark opened! But not too many ppl go see the Friars loose, anyways  :'(
"while in my gut the creature writhes and snarls and tells me what I need"

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 05:01:07 PM »
Yeah I think they've realized that holding a game during Con will just result in a lot of traffic and fewer people in the seats.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »
Just a quick heads-up for anyone taking public transportation to and from the convention center during con.

There will be no "Special Event" Red Line trolley this year for Comic-Con, instead the San Diego MTS website has indicated the following:

"This year, the Green Line will take you directly from Qualcomm Stadium to the Convention Center! This special express Green Line service will run non-stop between Washington Street Trolley Station and Convention Center Trolley Station, getting you to the Convention Center faster than ever. "

The updated map is also available here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(Schedules for the trolleys during con haven't been released yet, but I'll post a note here when they are up.)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Wow, that's great to know! Thanks for passing that on!