Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 117275 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2020, 02:19:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This one 'stings' for me.  I grew up as a youngin' in the 1980's, and Denny O'Neil wrote so many comics I voraciously consumed.  He wrote so many great Batman books (orchestrating "Death in the Family," the first time I ever 'officially' voted as a middle schooler - yeah, I voted to kill Jason Todd); he wrote a myriad of Green Lantern books I cherished for their awesome social issues (he wrote a 'Black Lives Matter' story almost half a century before the movement's name existed); he edited GI Joe comics; he hired a then-unknown Frank Miller (!) to take over Denny's great Daredevil run.  Heck, the man even NAMED Optimus Prime, among other things, when "adapting" the toyline for American audiences.

I hate to throw around the term 'legend,' or 'GOAT' lightly: but Denny's contribution to comics is worthy of those monikers.  The work he did with artist Neil Adams was amazing (he wrote Superman vs Ali one-shot!!), and I sincerely hope that younger comics readers look up Denny's work, seek it out & enjoy.  He wrote very much 'of-the-era,' using the comics medium as broad strokes to tell important stories.  Few people leave a mark on their industry the way he did

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #406 on: June 19, 2020, 07:35:16 AM »

Ian Holm, star of Lord of the Rings, Alien and Chariots of Fire, dies aged 88

The versatile actor went from the RSC and Harold Pinter to international movie stardom with roles as the hobbit Bilbo Baggins and an android in Alien

Ian Holm, the versatile actor who played everything from androids to hobbits via Harold Pinter and King Lear, has died in London aged 88, his agent confirmed to the Guardian.

“It is with great sadness that the actor Sir Ian Holm CBE passed away this morning at the age of 88,” they said. “He died peacefully in hospital, with his family and carer,” adding that his illness was Parkinson’s related. “Charming, kind and ferociously talented, we will miss him hugely.”

Holm’s final days were documented in a series of pastel portraits by his wife, Sophie de Stempel.

Holm, who won a Bafta and was nominated for an Oscar for his role as maverick athletics coach Sam Mussabini in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire, may have looked destined for a career in colourful supporting roles on screen – especially after quitting the theatre in 1976 after a severe case of stage fright – but he found a new generation of admirers after being cast as Bilbo Baggins in the blockbusting Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Earlier this month, he expressed his sadness that he was unable to participate in a virtual reunion for the films, saying: “I am sorry to not see you in person, I miss you all and hope your adventures have taken you to many places, I am in lockdown in my hobbit home, or holm.”

Holm was born in 1931 in Essex, where his father was superintendent of the West Ham Corporation psychiatric hospital; he later described his childhood there as “a pretty idyllic existence”. Falling in love with acting at an early age, he went from Rada in London to the Shakespeare Memorial theatre in Stratford, staying on to become part of the Royal Shakespeare Company on its foundation in 1960.

Holm became a leading figure at the RSC, winning an Evening Standard best actor award for Henry V in 1965, part of the seminal Wars of the Roses cycle put together by Peter Hall and John Barton. He also earned plaudits for his work with Pinter, playing Lenny in the premiere production of The Homecoming (which won him a Tony award after its transfer to Broadway) and then in the 1973 film version, directed by Hall. Not least of all from Pinter himself, who is reported to have said of Holm: “He puts on my shoe, and it fits!”

Holm underwent severe stage fright, which he described as “a sort of breakdown” during a performance of The Iceman Cometh in 1976, which he described as “a scar on my memory that will never go away”. Having abandoned the theatre, Holm developed his screen-acting career, which had hitherto largely been confined to regular but sporadic parts in British films such as The Bofors Gun, Oh! What a Lovely War and Young Winston. Seen as a safe pair of hands, his casting as the android Ash in the Ridley Scott-directed Alien gave him hitherto undreamed-of international exposure. This role was followed up by his turn as Mussabini, the ostracised running coach of sprinter Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire.

After his best supporting actor nomination for Chariots of Fire in 1982 (which he lost to John Giegud for Arthur), Holm was now a bona fide acting grandee, though one whose eccentric-seeming, pugnacious qualities were best suited for memorable supporting parts. He played Napoleon in Terry Gilliam’s Time Bandits, and hapless Mr Kurtzmann in the same director’s Brazil; other highlights included Lewis Carroll in the Dennis Potter-scripted Alice fantasy Dreamchild, Dr Willis in The Madness of King George, and Father Cornelius in Luc Besson’s sci-fi epic The Fifth Element. However, he did find a leading role in Atom Egoyan’s adaptation of Russell Banks’s The Sweet Hereafter, released in 1997, playing the smooth-talking lawyer who persuades grieving parents to launch a class-action suit after several children are killed in a bus crash.

Holm returned to Shakespeare in 1997, in the Richard Eyre-directed King Lear at the National Theatre in London, and was knighted a year later for “services to drama”. Having played Frodo Baggins in a 1981 radio adaptation of Lord of the Rings, Holm was cast as Bilbo in Peter Jackson’s mammoth three-part screen adaptation, with filming on The Fellowship of the Ring beginning in 1999. Bilbo did not appear in The Two Towers, but Holm returned for the final part, The Return of the King, as well as the first and third instalments of the Hobbit trilogy, which were released in 2012 and 2014 respectively.

In between the two sets of Tolkien adaptations, Holm developed an unexpected reputation as a lothario, after the publication of his autobiography in 2004. Hailed by the Daily Mail as “Lord of the Flings”, he candidly chronicled his serial marriages and extramarital affairs. He is survived by his fourth wife, de Stempel, and five children from previous relationships, as well as his third wife, the actor Penelope Wilton.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #407 on: Today at 06:16:31 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2020, 12:08:32 PM »

I saw ALIENS in theaters, just before I turned 10 and it blew me away.  My dad told me a little bit about ALIEN, so I could better understand some of the context/history, and a few weeks later brought home ALIEN from the library.  Ian Holm's Ash absolutely freaked me out: and I've always been the type of person that wasn't freaked out by movies (for example, I saw NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET in theaters around Thanksgiving not long after turning 8 and the special FX blew me away - the scary monster was nothing more than really cool makeup with finger knives as far as I was concerned).  He took a role that easily could've felt one-dimensional and made an even scarier villain than the actual alien creature!  I immediately had a huge admiration for Holm, and have been a fan of his most of my life.
Of course, he was Napoleon in the brilliantly perfect TIME BANDITS (one of my all-time favorites - it was a Terry Gilliam film that Beatle George Harrison produced/partially financed as a tax write-off and got a bit pissed off when it made money), and of course Holm was also great in Gilliam's legit masterpiece BRAZIL.
Holm was never afraid to be in unconventional yet artistically interesting films, such as the early 90's adaptation of William S Burroughs' bizarre novel NAKED LUNCH, or eXistenZ, or the wonderful sci-fi FIFTH ELEMENT.  Later in life he really shined in a smallish role in Scorsese's AVIATOR (as the weather expert Dr. who also had to go before the film censor board and argue the case for showing an actress' bosom on screen).

Ian Holm was an actor that elevated everything he was in, and he left a long legacy of memorable roles in great films

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2020, 09:08:16 PM »
I saw ALIENS in theaters, just before I turned 10 and it blew me away.  My dad told me a little bit about ALIEN, so I could better understand some of the context/history, and a few weeks later brought home ALIEN from the library.  Ian Holm's Ash absolutely freaked me out: and I've always been the type of person that wasn't freaked out by movies (for example, I saw NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET in theaters around Thanksgiving not long after turning 8 and the special FX blew me away - the scary monster was nothing more than really cool makeup with finger knives as far as I was concerned).  He took a role that easily could've felt one-dimensional and made an even scarier villain than the actual alien creature!  I immediately had a huge admiration for Holm, and have been a fan of his most of my life.
Of course, he was Napoleon in the brilliantly perfect TIME BANDITS (one of my all-time favorites - it was a Terry Gilliam film that Beatle George Harrison produced/partially financed as a tax write-off and got a bit pissed off when it made money), and of course Holm was also great in Gilliam's legit masterpiece BRAZIL.
Holm was never afraid to be in unconventional yet artistically interesting films, such as the early 90's adaptation of William S Burroughs' bizarre novel NAKED LUNCH, or eXistenZ, or the wonderful sci-fi FIFTH ELEMENT.  Later in life he really shined in a smallish role in Scorsese's AVIATOR (as the weather expert Dr. who also had to go before the film censor board and argue the case for showing an actress' bosom on screen).

Ian Holm was an actor that elevated everything he was in, and he left a long legacy of memorable roles in great films
Well said about Ian Holm! He will be missed. My condolences to his friends and family.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 830
« Reply #409 on: June 22, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Filmmaker Joel Schumacher, who directed "St. Elmo's Fire, "The Lost Boys," "Falling Down" and the Batman movies of the 90s, passed away.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #410 on: June 22, 2020, 07:08:27 PM »
Filmmaker Joel Schumacher, who directed "St. Elmo's Fire, "The Lost Boys," "Falling Down" and the Batman movies of the 90s, passed away.
BRAVO for not _just_ saying "director of the most derided Batman films!" like too many publications/websites!  He also wrote CAR WASH, THE WIZ, DC CAB (which he also directed).  BLOOD CREEK is a pretty solid horror movie too: relatively recent film he directed.  Like all artists, he directed some bad & some good.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2020, 03:14:54 PM »
Lots of these old school comic greats are passing away lately, it seems.  Joe Sinnott was a hall of fame comic artist/inker: if you love Kirby, Romita, George Perez, John Byrne, or some of the other legendary artists in the Marvel bullpen, Joe Sinnott was likely the inker that brought their pencil drawings to life.  I met him a few years ago at Comic-Con, sitting at a table singing book all by himself looking bored!  I didn't have anything to sign (IIRC he was signing an IDW Artist's Edition book that was way outta my price range, and I didn't have any of his comics readily available), but I chatted with him for a bit, since no one was waiting in line, about working in the famed (and most fictional, as far as Stan's stories in the back of the comics go) Marvel Bullpen BITD. 
I always felt like Kirby rightfully got the bulk of the credit for all of those amazing Marvel comics, but Joe truly embellished and brought Kirby's pencils 'to life' with his inks & shadings and whatnot.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #412 on: June 30, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »

collider RIP Carl Reiner, creator of The Dick Van Dyke Show, director of The Jerk, and performer of The 2,000 Year Old Man.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #413 on: July 06, 2020, 01:43:08 AM »
Oscar-winning film composer Ennio Morricone passed away.  I remember first seeing his name in the credits in 1977 when I saw "Exorcist II: The Heretic."

SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #414 on: July 14, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
Grant Imahara, Host of 'MythBusters' and 'White Rabbit Project,' Dies at 49

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and roboticist who hosted the popular science show MythBusters and Netflix's White Rabbit Project, has died. He was 49.

Imahara died suddenly following a brain aneurysm, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. "We are heartbroken to hear this sad news about Grant. He was an important part of our Discovery family and a really wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family," a representative for Discovery said in a statement Monday.
Ang

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
Grant Imahara, Host of 'MythBusters' and 'White Rabbit Project,' Dies at 49

I'm shocked.  I was working the desk when he checked in for the first Walking Dead Escape.  It definitely hits more when you've met them.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #416 on: July 14, 2020, 06:47:22 PM »
I'm shocked.  I was working the desk when he checked in for the first Walking Dead Escape.  It definitely hits more when you've met them.
I met him one year in the gaslamp; he struck me as incredibly nice, and very appreciative of fan response.  It's always a tragedy when people die, and he definitely seems like a nice guy

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #417 on: July 17, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »

( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

speakerpelosi @RepJohnLewis was a titan of the civil rights movement whose goodness, faith and bravery transformed our nation. Every day of his life was dedicated to bringing freedom and justice to all. His memory moves us all to, in the face of injustice, make “good trouble, necessary trouble.” May it be a comfort to his son John-Miles & his entire family that so many mourn their loss at this sad time.

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #418 on: July 25, 2020, 08:38:56 PM »
Actor John Saxon, who appeared with Bruce Lee in “Enter the Dragon” (1973) and in the horror flick “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984), passed away.  He was 83.

D23 Expo 2017

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #419 on: July 25, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
Actor John Saxon, who appeared with Bruce Lee in “Enter the Dragon” (1973) and in the horror flick “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984), passed away.  He was 83.

I remember him well.  He was in a lot of sci-fi movies.