Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info  (Read 13253 times)

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
Re: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's been a few years since I've taken the shuttles. So what's the longest wait time anyone has ever waited to board the shuttle (waiting from hotel to convention center and vice versa)? I know lines at the hotel shuttles stops can be long especially early in the morning.

I've done the shuttle for the past 5 years, and the answer is it really just depends.  I know that's not what you are looking for, but I've waited 1 minute, and I've waited about 45, and everything in between.  And to even expand further, there seems to not be a pattern to it. Some mornings the shuttles are one after another, the same time next morning they are further apart. I will say, going back to the hotel from the convention center in the afternoons/evenings is pretty much always a very short wait.

If the trolley is near your hotel that is a great option and I like to use that-its only like $5 a day for unlimited rides. 

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
I've done the shuttle for the past 5 years, and the answer is it really just depends.  I know that's not what you are looking for, but I've waited 1 minute, and I've waited about 45, and everything in between.  And to even expand further, there seems to not be a pattern to it. Some mornings the shuttles are one after another, the same time next morning they are further apart. I will say, going back to the hotel from the convention center in the afternoons/evenings is pretty much always a very short wait.

If the trolley is near your hotel that is a great option and I like to use that-its only like $5 a day for unlimited rides.
When we stayed out in Mission Valley our first year (we booked Early Bird because we were afraid of the hotel lotto), we ended up just taking the trolley in since it ran more regularly than the shuttle.  It was nice to have both options available though.  Definitely recommend what you suggested of getting a ride pass for the weekend.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:15:09 AM »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:39 PM »
On the topic of shuttles, I'm a bit of a Debbie Downer.  I want to be positive and say it's fine, but it's not always the case.  Back in 2013 when I was in Mission Valley I left my hotel room 2 hours before an event and was 5 minutes late due to at least half a dozen shuttles passing my stop by because they were full.  But other people who aren't so tight with their schedules may not have an issue.  And it only happened once during the five days so it was an anomaly.  Sorry to be a bummer.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »
When there is a shared stop, it seems crowding with shuttles being filled and passing by, was a challenge for us.  We ended up taking the trolley most of the time, which was about the same distance from the hotel to the shared shuttle stop.  I do like having options.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2019, 12:52:16 PM »
We stayed at the DoubleTree in Mission Valley, which had a shuttle stop right outside and then the trolley was across the street.  We were able to peek out and look for shuttle if it was coming down the road and wait for it, or cross the street and jump on the trolley.  It was a very convenient hotel for transportation like that.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »
My sister noticed that last year on the hotel listing form, the Embassy Suites was noted to be .7 miles from the convention center, and there was a shuttle stop.  This year, the Embassy Suites is listed at 1.1 miles, with no shuttle stop.  I found that a bit odd.  Ok...what moved--the Embassy Suites or the Convention Center??? ???

Continental drift! Obvs the fault line is between the Embassy and the Convention Center.

Offline RSilvaConFan

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 88
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 03:13:52 PM »
Continental drift! Obvs the fault line is between the Embassy and the Convention Center.

Global Warming is causing the Earth to expand ;D

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 12:28:13 PM »
We stayed at the Sheraton by the Airport once and the morning shuttles would fill up at the first spot and there was one seat available for the next stop. The driver stopped, opened the door and announced he has one seat, and a young lady in cosplay ran from the back, cut in front of the line, jumped on while telling the driver "Go! Go!".  She then spent the ride to the con on her phone telling her friends how she "owned" everyone in line.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »
Global Warming is causing the Earth to expand ;D

Neal Adams' pet theory! Not the global warming part but that the earth is expanding and what we see as continental drift is the result of continued earth expansion. I once heard him tell some people at his booth that hobbies outside of comics are good and his was theoretical physics and he starting going into the growing earth idea.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:55 PM »
Neal Adams' pet theory! Not the global warming part but that the earth is expanding and what we see as continental drift is the result of continued earth expansion. I once heard him tell some people at his booth that hobbies outside of comics are good and his was theoretical physics and he starting going into the growing earth idea.

Wow...interesting theory.  That would explain it! ;)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Sorry for the late and multiple replies.

I wanted to bring up a post I saw somewhere a couple of days ago where a board poster mentioned they were starting the refund process and not having a downtown room and 24 hour shuttles were main reasons for not attending the convention. The poster relied on the late night shuttles to get to those very early morning lines for some exclusives and other things. A 5 AM shuttle was actually too late for their activities. It was something I had not thought about as I am not one for those early morning lines but many people are. It made me think that one somewhat small change can affect many people's experiences.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2019, 01:07:56 PM »

I wanted to bring up a post I saw somewhere a couple of days ago where a board poster mentioned they were starting the refund process and not having a downtown room and 24 hour shuttles were main reasons for not attending the convention. The poster relied on the late night shuttles to get to those very early morning lines for some exclusives and other things. A 5 AM shuttle was actually too late for their activities. It was something I had not thought about as I am not one for those early morning lines but many people are. It made me think that one somewhat small change can affect many people's experiences.

Yes, the lack of overnight shuttles will absolutely affect the people who line up super early or overnight. It's a real shame for that reason, because those people are actually using the shuttles as part of their Con experience (as opposed to people just needing a ride home from the bars - which I've totally done too, no judgment. It's just not strictly Con-related).

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
We stayed at the Sheraton by the Airport once and the morning shuttles would fill up at the first spot and there was one seat available for the next stop. The driver stopped, opened the door and announced he has one seat, and a young lady in cosplay ran from the back, cut in front of the line, jumped on while telling the driver "Go! Go!".  She then spent the ride to the con on her phone telling her friends how she "owned" everyone in line.

Just out of curiosity what did she cosplay as? Cersei Lannister? Shame Shame Shame...

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »

I haven't lined up for Hall H in awhile, but I believe the "you got a wristband the night before and are now joining back in line" time is 7am.  Having a shuttle at 5am could cut it close for rejoining the line, especially if the first shuttle of the day fills up fast.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »
Forum Housekeeping:

Stickied this thread (for easier access).
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...