Author Topic: Veronica Mars Special Video Presentation and Q&A, Hall H, 11:15am-12:00pm  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
Re: Veronica Mars Movie Might Be At SDCC
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:24:01 AM »
Just got an email from KS :)

Project Update #2: Records of note
Posted by Rob Thomas
By the way, yesterday we set a few records.

We were the fastest Kickstarter project to hit $1M. We were the fastest Kickstarter project to hit $2M. We set the record for highest goal ever achieved. (Other KS projects have done better than us -- so far -- but none set a goal as high as our $2M goal.) We're also the largest film project in Kickstarter history.

Cannot thank everyone enough.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:22:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Absolutely astonishing, the power of crowd-sourcing demonstrated in the most powerful way possible. I only have two issues: 1) the fans that have demonstrated their passion for the project are all well and good but they've effectively given their money to a studio that already has a mountain-load of cash. Are they going to be getting any of this back if Warners ponies up the production costs? Has this been a demonstration cash-cow or just a way for the WB to avoid the cost? I hope people aren't going to be scammed by this. And 2) how far into planning is the project, anyway? Was it a post put up by Bell and her compatriots on the spur of the moment, unaware of what would happen, or is there actually a script in place? Have the Kickstarters put their money on thin air?

WB will get any and all profits. This is akin to online petitions to save a show or buying from sponsors of a show (like the Subway campaign for Chuck) but in a way that can be financially measured.

WB can do one of 2 things. Decide that okay, the demand is there, we'll pony up the rest and you can do the movie (and the Kickstarter money essentially is an online auction to get stuff from the movie) or they can say nope, still ain't doing the movie and everyone gets refunded their money.
...you had me at hello...

New to the forum? Look here!

Friends of Comic Cons

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
WB already agreed to go through with it if they reached the goal:

From the EW article:

The goal: $2 million in 30 days. If they reach it, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution. (The film would be released in the first quarter of 2014 for a limited-time theatrical run, before moving to VOD, iTunes, and other digital platforms.) If they don’t reach the goal: No movie.

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
WB already agreed to go through with it if they reached the goal:

From the EW article:

The goal: $2 million in 30 days. If they reach it, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution has agreed to put the movie into production and pick up the tab for marketing, promotion, and distribution. (The film would be released in the first quarter of 2014 for a limited-time theatrical run, before moving to VOD, iTunes, and other digital platforms.) If they don’t reach the goal: No movie.

Interesting - doesn't mention WB paying for the movie. Is $2 mil (and whatever else gets added to the KS) enough to pay to make a movie? I know you can do a movie for cheap but it just sounds low for a studio picture.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »
I'm sure the people involved can call in some favors. They've been planning this since last year which means they didn't just come up with the number out of thin air. How they came up with it though, no idea.

Does anyone know what the budget for Much A Do was? I know it was filmed in just 12 days and it sounds like this movie is going to be quickly filmed as well. I doubt 12 days but maybe a month or so.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
Yes, they've obviously been planning this for quite some time.  In the FAQ they indicate that their filming window is June-July of this year.

Hopefully they're able to break away and have a panel at SDCC and possibly even have some rough footage available.

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Confirmed it's going!

I'm way more excited about this than any of the "big" movies that might be there this year.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »
My sister & brother-in-law were extras in the background on a few episodes... I've never actually watched it. I feel like I should considering the fandom it has. Anyone care to sell why I should watch Veronica Mars? ^-^

Offline Khaaaaaaanh!!!

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
My sister & brother-in-law were extras in the background on a few episodes... I've never actually watched it. I feel like I should considering the fandom it has. Anyone care to sell why I should watch Veronica Mars? ^-^

Very smartly written. Just one of those shows where once you watch it, either you love it or you just don't get it. And that's not to say that anything's wrong w/ you, just not everyone's cup of tea.

The material is a bit dark but there's very witty humor. Season 1 is Veronica trying to find out who killed her best friend and who drugged/raped her at a party. Yeah, not typical "teen" show. It's Kristen Bell getting to do Kristen Bell things and using that sharp tongue. 

Definitely not a show that's easy to sell...

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
Very smartly written. Just one of those shows where once you watch it, either you love it or you just don't get it. And that's not to say that anything's wrong w/ you, just not everyone's cup of tea.

The material is a bit dark but there's very witty humor. Season 1 is Veronica trying to find out who killed her best friend and who drugged/raped her at a party. Yeah, not typical "teen" show. It's Kristen Bell getting to do Kristen Bell things and using that sharp tongue. 

Definitely not a show that's easy to sell...

I just watched all the episodes about a month ago, so I'm ready
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 05:11:58 AM by Jim Watari »
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline PlanningMackem

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 04:12:46 AM »
I watched the pilot three times and just couldn't get into it at all even though all of my friends were telling me I would love it. Eventually two years later I ended up blasting through the two seasons that had aired at that point and I was in love with the show by episode two. Even now I don't particularly like the pilot.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »
Okay so I watched the first three episodes... seemed pretty interesting but I'm not that into it yet. Going to chug my way through the first season at least this weekend.

BTW, I found it funny that I recognized the high school before I confirmed it was the school I thought it was. It's always weird seeing areas you know being used in filming but it's one reason I love Southern California :) It would've been cool if I got into it when I was close enough to visit the sets and what not.