Author Topic: Comic-Con Museum auction for SDCC returned badges  (Read 11003 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Comic-Con Museum auction for SDCC returned badges
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. [member=6586]chocolateshake[/member] , several members here who work in tax/accounting have told you that, if the winner of these auctioned badges was our client, we would have them count only the amount over the list price of a 4-day+PN badge as tax-deductible.

That is something we can agree on. ;)  This is just an internet discussion.  The world will continue to turn.

However, if you were our client, you would be absolutely within your rights to claim the full amount to the IRS and see what happened. And then our firms would be within our rights not to defend you when you got audited. (That part is not hypothetical - we've done that to clients who went against our advice.  In the end, if you go hire an accountant you have the choice to listen to them or not. But if you choose not, don't expect them to help you later.)

That goes regardless.  Any firm is not obligated to defend any of their clients.  I would be shocked if that isn't clearly stated in your terms and conditions.  No representative I know of would ever permanently attach themselves to their clients no matter what.  That's unwise.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
Wow, the price has really dipped. $500 per badge is not a bad deal!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:21:02 PM »

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
Yeah, I've been watching these for a while. They've gone from being laughable ($6k for the first couple auctions) to being an exceptional deal.

There's been a steady drop in prices and it hovered around $2k for quite a bit. I would say if you're in the market, now's a good time to get some. One thing I did notice however is that there was a spike in prices (10%-15%) the last time CCI publicized their ebay account (via twitter/facebook). Something to keep in mind in case you see them mention them again.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 08:18:14 PM »
They also have a LOT of them up for sale. (79 pairs, as of right now.) Seems like they need extra cash, or something.

And now I'm more sure than ever that the days of SDCC instantly selling out are numbered.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 08:21:13 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
They also have a LOT of them up for sale. (79 pairs, as of right now.) Seems like they need extra cash, or something.

And now I'm more sure than ever that the days of SDCC instantly selling out are numbered.

i believe the museum breaks ground for construction soon-- so yeah they need money ;0
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 09:37:47 PM »

Let's not get carried away.  79 pairs is 158 tickets.  How many tickets did they sell?  100,000 or so?  178 tickets is 0.16%.  Let's round that off to 0.2% to include all the tickets they've already sold.  That's a very tiny float for a huge event like this.  I would have expected it to be more.  At least a few percent.  People often sign up for things and don't show.  Even if it's paid for.  Let's not forget about the comp tickets, exhibitor passes, contest tickets, etc, etc that bump up that 100,000 by quite a bit.  I think SDCC will continue to sell out instantly for the foreseeable future.

There have always been returned tickets.  Last year, the museum gave some away for free.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 11:10:53 PM »
It’s also pretty late in the game for most people who haven’t planned for the last nine months like we have.

I imagine if they would have hosted this sale a few months ago we would be seeing higher prices but with about a month or so to figure out lodging/transportation and everything else, it’s most likely too intense for most people to try and plan for - even if they want to go to the con.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2019, 12:02:12 AM »
Let's not get carried away.  79 pairs is 158 tickets.  How many tickets did they sell?  100,000 or so?  178 tickets is 0.16%.  Let's round that off to 0.2% to include all the tickets they've already sold.  That's a very tiny float for a huge event like this.  I would have expected it to be more.  At least a few percent.  People often sign up for things and don't show.  Even if it's paid for.  Let's not forget about the comp tickets, exhibitor passes, contest tickets, etc, etc that bump up that 100,000 by quite a bit.  I think SDCC will continue to sell out instantly for the foreseeable future.

There have always been returned tickets.  Last year, the museum gave some away for free.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. My hypothesis was based on the selling price of the auctions, not the number of tickets in the auctions. I didn’t say what I did because they came up with 158 extra tickets. They’ve always had extra tickets. I said what I did because those tickets aren’t going for sky high prices.

To be clear, I think it will continue to sell out for quite a while, just not instantly. I’ll say 3-4 years before tickets last past the waiting room. (At least for the less popular days)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:21:34 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 12:11:09 AM »
It’s also pretty late in the game for most people who haven’t planned for the last nine months like we have.

I imagine if they would have hosted this sale a few months ago we would be seeing higher prices but with about a month or so to figure out lodging/transportation and everything else, it’s most likely too intense for most people to try and plan for - even if they want to go to the con.

Possibly, but it also fits with the downward trend I’ve noticed these past few years in other areas (i.e. length of time volunteer registration was kept open, which de-escalated quickly.) A few years ago I would have expected the selling price to be much higher even if the same number of tickets was made available this close to the convention...but this year, $500/badge sounds about right.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:47:02 AM by hikanteki »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 12:21:39 AM »
I think you may have misinterpreted my post. My hypothesis was based on the selling price of the auctions, not the number of tickets in the auctions. I didn’t say what I did because they came up with 158 extra tickets. They’ve always had extra tickets. I said what I did because the said tickets aren’t going for sky high prices.

To be clear, I think it will continue to sell out for quite a while, just not instantly for much longer.

They are still selling for around $1000.  Which is more than double their face value.  That wouldn't be happening if there wasn't demand.  The difference is when this first started, they only put up a handful, and since this is the first time CCI has sold tickets like this, those handful could have been the only ones available.  Thus the big run up.  Get them while you can.  Now that it's gone on for a while, it seems like there is steady supply.  It wasn't just a one time thing.  Right now, there's no reason to bid them up out of desperation since if you miss the current auction, there's another one to bid on after it.  As these things go, this might be a lull.  When new supply stops being added and the number of available listings drop to a handful again, I wouldn't be surprised to see them going for sky high prices again.  Good old fashion supply and demand.

I think they will sell every single ticket they put up.  I don't think very many people even know about these sales.  Like many things that happen for the first time, many people don't hear about it.  And over the years, we've been trained to think of all these sales outside of the standard process as scams and not legitimate.  That conditioning will take a while to put down.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:25:16 AM by chocolateshake »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 12:28:50 AM »
They are still selling for around $1000.  Which is more than double their face value.  That wouldn't be happening if there wasn't demand.  The difference is when this first started, they only put up a handful, and since this is the first time CCI has sold tickets like this, those handful could have been the only ones available.  Thus the big run up.  Get them while you can.  Now that it's gone on for a while, it seems like there is steady supply.  It wasn't just a one time thing.  Right now, there's no reason to bid them up out of desperation since if you miss the current auction, there's another one to bid on after it.  As these things go, this might be a lull.  When new supply stops being added and the number of available listings drop to a handful again, I wouldn't be surprised to see them going for sky high prices again.  Good old fashion supply and demand.

I think they will sell every single ticket they put up.  I don't think very many people even know about these sales.  Like many things that happen for the first time, many people don't hear about it.

The demand is there, no question. I agree they’ll sell every ticket they put up. It’s just a matter of how much they go for, and trying to translate the trends of the auction prices to the speed of the general sale...to me, a going price of 2x retail cost with a steady supply does not equal instant sellout. But of course it’s anyone’s guess, and mine is 3-4 years.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 01:12:20 PM by hikanteki »

Offline rallyv

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 87
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 05:22:30 AM »

I think they will sell every single ticket they put up.  I don't think very many people even know about these sales.  Like many things that happen for the first time, many people don't hear about it.  And over the years, we've been trained to think of all these sales outside of the standard process as scams and not legitimate.  That conditioning will take a while to put down.

This is exactly how I see it.

As I've said before, I think this more has to do with them not constantly publicizing the auctions. The times when they do, there's a measurable increase in the sale prices around that period. I'd be willing to bet ticket prices would shoot up close to $2k if (when) they tweet/post about them again.

I doubt this is a situation of lack of interest, otherwise we would've seen lower prices through the whole sale.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 10:43:00 AM »
I only know about these auctions because of this thread

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline kazziemuse

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:36 PM »
Hello SDCC Friends :)

Not sure if i'm doing this right or not, So sorry if i'm not.

I originally had a badge organised by a friend for this year SDCC. Unfortunately, This was a miscommunication and now the badge is unavailable. So as you guess, I am desperately looking for 1 badge for any days available.

I am flying in from the UK, So you can imagine the  :o

Thanks in advance
Kaz

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
Hello SDCC Friends :)

Not sure if i'm doing this right or not, So sorry if i'm not.

I originally had a badge organised by a friend for this year SDCC. Unfortunately, This was a miscommunication and now the badge is unavailable. So as you guess, I am desperately looking for 1 badge for any days available.

I am flying in from the UK, So you can imagine the  :o

Thanks in advance
Kaz

if you're looking to team up with someone for one of these auctions then this is the right place- if you're trying to ask for something else then this is the wrong place.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5