Author Topic: WonderCon Not Yet Selling Out  (Read 14650 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: WonderCon Not Yet Selling Out
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm still upset with cci for taking Wondercon away from the Bay Area. Why did they do it?
My opinion...it always comes down to money.
I think it was officially SF wasn't as "cordial" to work with as far as booking everything CCI felt they needed.  It was probably also $$

While I have definitely taken advantage and benefited with CCI moving WonderCon to Southern CA, I also think it's too bad they moved it from NoCA.  While I would never be able to attend a Northern CA WonderCon I fundamentally love the idea of NoCA and SoCA conventions to service both ends of the CA!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 12:15:48 PM »
(though likely easier/cheaper to fly into than Anaheim)

Coming from NorCal, it is almost always cheaper to fly into LAX. That being said, with LA traffic, flying into SNA (when going to Anajeim) is usually worth the extra cost. For LA WonderCon, I am flying into LAX.

4. I suspect you may be in the minority as far as anti-Disneyland.  I'm biased as a Disneyland AP, but years when I've attended WC in Anaheim I've seen a TON of bleedover in the parks during WonderCon weekend.  Even if it's not necessarily inside the parks, DEFINITELY in Downtown Disney (though I've seen a bit of bleed over in the parks as well)

I have made no secret of our love for Disney. We stayed onsite at Disneyland for every year of Anaheim WC and always did the parks every day in the morning (early entry), then headed down to the convention center about lunchtime. Then sometimes we'd spend evenings at the parks too. The days were exhausting, but so much fun! My family was so disappointed when they learned that there would be no joint DL/WC trip this year. I almost didn't go myself, but it's hard to break a streak (been going since 2009) plus I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hang with cool FoCC people!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:47:32 AM »

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
I think it was officially SF wasn't as "cordial" to work with as far as booking everything CCI felt they needed.  It was probably also $$

While I have definitely taken advantage and benefited with CCI moving WonderCon to Southern CA, I also think it's too bad they moved it from NoCA.  While I would never be able to attend a Northern CA WonderCon I fundamentally love the idea of NoCA and SoCA conventions to service both ends of the CA!

As much as I hate to admit it, and being a bay area native, Anaheim is a much better venue for WC than SF. The difference was like day and night and Moscone was a pit compared to Anaheim's convention center. That said, I'm still upset about the organizers lying to us and saying "the show will come back (to SF) next year." Then, they tried appeasing us by telling us there would be two WonderCon shows: North and South, which never happened.

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
  • I'm pretty good with a bo-staff.
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one who thinks LA isn't the cats pajamas for this convention.  I would say the consensus here is that LA is less desirable than Anaheim and most hope to see it back there next year. I won't be at the feedback panel on Sunday but I am willing to add my name to a petition to move it back to Anaheim (if the intention of CCI is to continue it in LA). Although, after the seemingly lack of sales (anyone have numbers?) I don't think it would be that difficult for CCI to see how to proceed.
Twitter/Facebook: malarrya
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, and being a bay area native, Anaheim is a much better venue for WC than SF. The difference was like day and night and Moscone was a pit compared to Anaheim's convention center. That said, I'm still upset about the organizers lying to us and saying "the show will come back (to SF) next year." Then, they tried appeasing us by telling us there would be two WonderCon shows: North and South, which never happened.

I think there are numerous reasons why it was moved from the Moscone Center and both parties were at fault.
1. Moscone was going through renovations during WCs favorite time.
2. CCI wanted to test out new sites for consideration if/when it moves SDCC since San Diego's contract was coming due.
3. Moscone would only allow WC a 6 month reservation while offering others a full year. This made it so WC could not get back on track for a March/April weekend.
4. The Hotels surrounding the area supposedly would not lower their rates for WC and apparently charge nearly $300/night.
5. CCI moving WC closer to Hollywood could super-charge WonderCon's TV/Movie entertainment aspect.
6. CCI wasn't sure if San Diego was ever going to expand the convention center and wants more attendees. WonderCon is the guinea pig for the move.

This is all based on articles I've read around the net. I'm sure you can find more.

If you really want the best convention in the Pacific Northwest go to Emerald City Comic-Com in Seattle. It is pretty awesome and Seattle is beautiful.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 02:03:28 PM by malarrya »
SDCC 2006-2019 | WonderCon 2012-2016 | StarCon Pasadena 1996-98 | ECCC 2013 | Comikaze 2013 | ScareLA 2015 | Star Wars Celebration 2007, 2015

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
If you really want the best convention in the Pacific Northwest go to Emerald City Comic-Com in Seattle. It is pretty awesome and Seattle is beautiful.

I'll be attending ECCC for the third time this year, and unless you're specifically talking about comics (in which case, yes, ECCC blows away any other convention I've ever been to) I would disagree. WonderCon is by far a higher quality con in terms of entertainment panels. At ECCC, you're lucky to get 1 or 2 actors from a show, having a Q&A panel (similar to a Wizard World con). But at WonderCon, you will have actual studio-funded panels for TV shows and movies. There's definitely something of a 'studio presence' at WonderCon, which is not at ECCC.

Both cons are equal as far as authors/writing panels and cosplay panels. ECCC is very heavy on cosplay and wins in that area.

ECCC has that 'paid autographs and photos' area, which I always feel is somewhat slimy and money-grubbiing. I'm so glad not to have that (much) at CCI cons!

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
I'll be attending ECCC for the third time this year, and unless you're specifically talking about comics (in which case, yes, ECCC blows away any other convention I've ever been to) I would disagree. WonderCon is by far a higher quality con in terms of entertainment panels. At ECCC, you're lucky to get 1 or 2 actors from a show, having a Q&A panel (similar to a Wizard World con). But at WonderCon, you will have actual studio-funded panels for TV shows and movies. There's definitely something of a 'studio presence' at WonderCon, which is not at ECCC.

Both cons are equal as far as authors/writing panels and cosplay panels. ECCC is very heavy on cosplay and wins in that area.

ECCC has that 'paid autographs and photos' area, which I always feel is somewhat slimy and money-grubbiing. I'm so glad not to have that (much) at CCI cons!

Oh I agree WC is a lot more pleasing but specifically in the Pacific Northwest ECCC is the best. It had a much different feel for me than any convention I've ever been to. Maybe it's because I've only gone once but meeting Wil Wheaton and Jillian Anderson, eating at the fantastic downtown restaurants and bars, and utilizing the public transportation were all so excellent. I had even suffered quite a serious knee injury the night before I left and still had a great time hobbling around the floor. I cant' speak to how good Wizard World Comic Con in Portland is but I've been to a WW in Anaheim before WC was there and it was very lackluster.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »

I don't mind that so much. At least all of the celeb stuff is away from the main floor, preventing crowding and bottlenecking. I detest being yelled at by security to "KEEP MOVING!!!" It is a money-grab, though. I've been to ECCC twice and both times, if you even looked like you were pulling out a camera or smartphone in the celeb area, it was like someone teleported directly behind you to give you a brief scolding.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
It begins, L.A. or not ->

#WonderCon Saturday badges are almost sold out! Don't miss the fun this year at the @ConventionLA! #WC2016 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 08:58:48 AM »
It begins, L.A. or not ->

#WonderCon Saturday badges are almost sold out! Don't miss the fun this year at the @ConventionLA! #WC2016 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

While I'm sure this is a bit of a relief for CCI, it's got to be considered also a bit of a failure that it took this long. Saturday may be selling out but are 3-day? Usually they both sell out quite close to one another. I'm not 100% sure but I think it completely sold out last year (not sure on Sunday). Well, I guess maybe it will return to Anaheim. :) In any case, I'm going to somewhat hijack my own thread (or jump over to another) and just say I hope to meet some of you this year at the convention.

Offline malarrya

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
Well, Saturday badges finally SOLD OUT. That only took just short of 3 months.  :o

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 02:19:19 PM »

#WonderCon 2016 single-day badges for Saturday have sold out! 3-days, Friday & Sunday are still available.

EDIT: Ninja'd  :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 04:05:59 PM »
While I'm sure this is a bit of a relief for CCI, it's got to be considered also a bit of a failure that it took this long. Saturday may be selling out but are 3-day? Usually they both sell out quite close to one another. I'm not 100% sure but I think it completely sold out last year (not sure on Sunday). Well, I guess maybe it will return to Anaheim. :) In any case, I'm going to somewhat hijack my own thread (or jump over to another) and just say I hope to meet some of you this year at the convention.
does anyone know the capacity difference between Anaheim vs LA convention center?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »
does anyone know the capacity difference between Anaheim vs LA convention center?

LA ->

720,000 sq. ft. of exhibit hall space
147,000 sq. ft. of meeting room space

Anaheim ->

815,000 square feet of exhibit space (1.15 million square feet by May 2017)
130,000 square feet meeting and ballroom space

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »

The WonderCon badge refund deadline is March 4, 2016. After this date your WonderCon badge purchase is non-refundable.

Q: I'm no longer able to attend, how do I receive a refund?
A: The WonderCon 2016 badge refund deadline is March 4, 2016. After this date your WonderCon badge purchase is non-refundable. Please submit your refund request to: [email protected].
For more information, please review the cancellation and refund policy here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login