Author Topic: Thor Ragnarok ***Spoilers***  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Thor Ragnarok ***Spoilers***
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:29:59 PM »
By Odin's Beard, Thor 3 spoilers go here!

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: Thor Ragnarok ***Spoilers***
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
After the credits of Thor: Ragnarok

"Thor will return in the Infinity Wars"

Turn to mom "What did you think"

Mom " Too bad they ended it that way, they could have done more films"

Me LMAO!!!!!!!!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:18:52 AM »

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:08:14 AM »
I’ve made no secret of my detest for the two previous Thor films. They were stuffy and po-faced superhero movies and they didn’t need to be. The good news for this third film is they’ve done away with all the tech-y Earth science and simply set it in space with lots of action and buckets of humour. And I had a blast watching this. They’ve move Thor into a position of being a full comedic character and it works so much better. The opening scene is basically one line set piece gag and then the rest of the film follows suit. So while we have the story of Hela coming to power and the back story to why that has happened. It’s actually the story of Thor accepting his destiny, not just as a man who needs/wants to save his people but also as a man who, while incredibly strong, is a little bit dim-witted at times. But this works to his advantage as he has no fear and will take on anybody who stands in his way if it means saving the average Asgardian.
Aesthetically the film uses its comic book visual roots as a way to make the film pop. It is bright and very colourful, almost moving into eye-popping neon-visuals. This all helps when you have a film that travels through light space and other dimensions, so there is a sense of that classic time travel rainbow styling’s that have been the staple of many a film. What is most pleasing about the film is the actors all appear to be having an absolute blast. It feels as if there isn’t a script and they are just riffing and ad-libbing the entire film because it is such natural patter even for a superhero film. Hemsworth has made Thor a thoroughly rounded character now and embraced the brawn but little brains angle. Couple his performance with Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, a hard drinking ex-Asgardian who has a trick or two up her fighting sleeves, and you have a dynamite duo. Then there is the big green guy as well. So it’s a fearsome threesome. However, the standout performance is from Cate Blanchett as Hela. It is performance that showcases the seduction of power and how it can corrupt. Blanchett is outstanding; I couldn’t take my eyes off her.
Thor Ragnarok is a great example of how to make a simple yet very effective superhero movie. It should look great, it should have a story that is easy to follow but with a few twists and, most important of all, it should be entertaining throughout. Thor Ragnarok is all of those.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 08:55:57 AM »
I enjoyed it! I'm a huge Cate Blanchett fan so it was fun to see her in something different.

The Late Late Show with James Corden did a Thor: Ragnarok 4D screening with the cast that I thought was funny:

Offline vegasndn

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 160
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:06:30 PM »
I enjoyed the movie. The humor and the stand alone story if you would. Great pace and the synthesizers gave the movie a feel something I enjoyed. Family and l really enjoyed the flick today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
I liked it, but I wasn't over-awed by it. Actually, I put it on about the same level as the past few Marvel movies... 3 out of 5 stars. One thing I really liked was the evolution of Thor as a hero. My main complaint is that  sometimes the humor got in the way of storytelling. For instance, they totally take
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
. There were a few other instances of that. A lot of the humor did work though. They just needed to temper its usage.

Oh, and I was not too happy Thor's supporting cast was
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
These are characters with years and years of history in the comics, and they deserved better than that.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »
We interviews an inker on the hangout on Sunday- he's worked on the Thor books. I asked him if he saw the movies & what he thought.
In essence he said it was fun but not Thor. I have to agree-
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:04 AM »
Finally saw this Sunday afternoon.  I'll preface my (hopefully briefish) thoughts with the caveats of 1) I don't read Thor comics & I'm not exactly a fan of the character (I think like The Hulk Thor works far better as part of an ensemble than solo) 2) I LOVE the director and his narrative style 3) I think the Thor films in the MCU are by far the weakest films by a lot (the first one to me is damn near unwatchable).

I think RAGNAROK is exactly what Thor needed.  This film feels as close as the MCU will get to a flat-out comedy, and I 100% appreciate that radical-ish change of tone.  Thor as a concept is RIPE for the treatment from the movie, and I think it worked well thematically.  Tonally it felt jarring at times to go from legit slapstick comedy to legit action set pieces, and that's a little problematic to me.  I think, though, generally director Taika Waititi balances the tonal changes well.  The comedic feel is a breath of fresh air to the MCU.
Story-wise, however, it felt like Marvel tried really hard to shoehorn "Planet Hulk" and "Ragnarok" into a cohesive story and I'm not sure it works really well.  They sort of gloss over Hulk post-AoU/pre-Ragnarok when I think that would've been a bit more interesting of a story: at least one that should've allowed far more details than we got.  I don't want a full-on nutty "Planet Hulk" but I think exploring what led Hulk to The Champ emotionally/mentally would've been more interesting than the heretofore-unmentioned sister family-dynamic of the Ragnarok storyline.  I think Hela is a great idea that didn't work as well in execution: she was ANOTHER typical, boring Marvel villain that didn't match the excitement of the protagonists.  I loved Vallyrie and would love to see more of her in the MCU: I think she's been rumored for INFINITY WAR but I don't think there's been any confirmation she would be in that.  I really dug the strong female presence, and both female leads killed it (I liked Blanchett even if her character felt very one-dimensional - she did the best with what she had).

I hope Marvel continues to take huge chances/risks tonally and with director choices.  RAGNAROK didn't feel 100% like a Waititi film the way the GotG films feel distinctly like a James Gunn film.  But RAGNAROK felt like a great Waititi/Marvel mashup film and I hope Marvel continues to look for quality, 'different' filmmakers.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:59:59 PM »
My random comments:
--Would have preferred a little less of the silly humor (Although, I did like the Point Break joke)
--Liked the Kirby-esque design
--Would have preferred less of Jeff Goldblum and more Hela
--The Zeppelin song was great in the preview, but didn't like it in the movie
--Was it just me or was Banner a little like a Woody Allen impression?
--So is Thanos not going to have the Gauntlet in Infinity War?
--Any else see Beta Ray Bill on the tower?
--Also agree with accelerate's comment on the clearance sale of Thor supporting characters was abrupt and could have been more integral to the story.  Very clear there will be no Thor 4.
--My opinion:  Better than Thor 2, not as good as Thor 1