Author Topic: Getting a package delivered to your hotel  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Antisocial

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
Getting a package delivered to your hotel
« on: May 19, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites and ever tried to have a package delivered there?

I’ll be in the US for two weeks so I’m thinking about if I see something interesting on eBay or somewhere whilst I’m over there. I’m staying at a couple of hotels so I’m hoping one could take delivery without being difficult about it - it would be good to have the option anyway.

Offline indiglow

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 51
Re: Getting a package delivered to your hotel
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Has anyone stayed at the Embassy Suites and ever tried to have a package delivered there?

I’ll be in the US for two weeks so I’m thinking about if I see something interesting on eBay or somewhere whilst I’m over there. I’m staying at a couple of hotels so I’m hoping one could take delivery without being difficult about it - it would be good to have the option anyway.

You could call the hotel and ask. I had a package delivered to MGH last year when I was staying there and didn't know they charged a fee to accept it on my behalf.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:12:22 AM »

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »
Or if the hotel doesn't work, there's a UPS store inside the MMM have it delivered there.
I see a lot of con ppl uses that UPS center to mail home items or receive

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »

I think another problem is that many ebay sellers will not ship to non-confirmed addresses.  Also, shipping to an address that's not your billing address can trigger red alarms with your credit card company.  You can deal with that by buying Ebay GCs at stores in the US.

Offline Antisocial

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
You could call the hotel and ask. I had a package delivered to MGH last year when I was staying there and didn't know they charged a fee to accept it on my behalf.

Thanks; yes I’m going to contact the hotels anyway to them direct, I just wondered if anyone done it before. I know that some places near convention centres generally are reluctant/difficult receive packages than other hotels (in my experience at least), so I’d guess San Diego won’t be any different. I remember the Town & Country last year had a policy on this sort of thing that was quite expensive anyway.

Offline Antisocial

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
Or if the hotel doesn't work, there's a UPS store inside the MMM have it delivered there.
I see a lot of con ppl uses that UPS center to mail home items or receive

Thanks for the tip; I’ve never had anything like that before, but that might work-out great.

Offline ozzz

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 289
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the tip; I’ve never had anything like that before, but that might work-out great.

You're welcome Viking! ;) lol

Hope it works out! :)

Offline Antisocial

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
I think another problem is that many ebay sellers will not ship to non-confirmed addresses.  Also, shipping to an address that's not your billing address can trigger red alarms with your credit card company.  You can deal with that by buying Ebay GCs at stores in the US.
I’ve not had any issues like that before when I’ve done this, but that’s something I’ll keep in mind. Those GCs are good to know about as well, thanks!  :)

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 03:03:54 AM »
I just wondered if anyone done it before.

I've had packages delivered to many hotels, mainly Hilton family hotels, never been charged a fee for it. 
I have the shipping address like this:
Name:             Firstname Lastname
Company:        c/o Embassy Suites
Address1:        Guest Arriving 7-18-18
Address2:        601 Pacific Hwy
City State Zip:  San Diego CA 92101

OR like this:
Company:        c/o Embassy Suites - Guest Arriving 7-18-18
Address1:        601 Pacific Hwy

Offline Antisocial

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »
I've had packages delivered to many hotels, mainly Hilton family hotels, never been charged a fee for it. 

OR like this:

That’s great - thanks for posting that!

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 04:58:47 PM »

I think it's going to be more complicated than that.  The UPS store serves basically 2 functions.  It's a UPS customer service center and provides mailbox rental.  If you have a mailbox there, of course they will take any and all deliveries from any carrier.  If you don't, I think you'll only be able to send packages shipped there by UPS.  It's up to each store obviously, but I don't see why they would accept packages from other carriers if you don't have a mailbox there.

The general term for that is general delivery.  Similarly you can have packages shipped to you by the US Postal Service to a post office using a general delivery address.  Such as.

John Smith
General Delivery
San Diego, CA 92101

You go up to counter and say you have a package held in general delivery, show ID and they give it you.

I think it works the same way for Fedex as well.  Fedex and UPS won't ship to post offices if they know it's a post office.  Post offices tend not to accept packages from Fedex of UPS unless you have a PO box there.  Then they will and give you a street address so that Fedex and UPS will ship to it.

So I think you'll need to coordinate with the seller to see which service they will use and then give them the appropriate address to send it to.  All in all, I think it would be much easier and less fraught with loss to send it to a hotel even if they charge a small fee.  I don't have experience with that particular hotel, but I have had things sent to me at hotels during my travels and I have never had a hotel reject it or charge me a fee.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:01:12 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 11:09:18 PM »
I used to have a lot of packages shipped to various hotels throughout my travels, but in the last two years I've noticed a lot of hotels that didn't used to charge for it, now charge.  Sometimes the fee is around $5 even for a letter, so it's probably best to check.  I use Amazon locker when I can.

OR like this:

Offline cabler30

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »
I guess some start charging cause so many by chance do the same and it takes up space depend on what it is at time, so u are renting space and they feel responsible if what is sent to place and it gets damaged some how u mite get mad at place and not the place who drop off the stuff. so ur taking a chance and they are at same time. so alot factors in anything u do, so being a charge then there a reason why they have it. and 5 bucks is pretty cheap compared to what they mite be able to charge but want u to be happy that they make it possible.

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
Hard Rock has let us both receive packages and ship out packages from their front desk with no problems and no charge.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 12:43:24 PM »
Not that hotel, no, but I've had packages delivered at other hotels.  I can't remember which hotel I was staying at at the time (the years blur together), but I lost my credit card about 3 days before the trip.  I had a replacement expressed to the hotel so that it was waiting for me there when I arrived.  It was super easy.

I'd give them a call and see if they have any specific policies and also make sure they know about your plans, but I don't foresee this being a problem.