Author Topic: SDCC 2021  (Read 17272 times)

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
Re: SDCC 2021
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:25 AM »
Halloween is on a Sunday this year.  And that weekend is wide open on the San Diego Convention Center schedule.  Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to see the whole calendar.

I'm sure the convention organizers and the city know this already.  But I'm just throwing it out there.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2021, 03:51:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Halloween is on a Sunday this year.  And that weekend is wide open on the San Diego Convention Center schedule.  Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to see the whole calendar.

I'm sure the convention organizers and the city know this already.  But I'm just throwing it out there.

I think the whole month of October is bad. There's NYCC, Baltimore Comic Con and the possibility of the world series being played in San Diego.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 01:35:26 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2021, 06:15:04 PM »
.....  and the possibility of the world series being played in San Diego.
Wwwwwwhhhhhhhat?
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
Wwwwwwhhhhhhhat?

These truly are the end times.   ;)

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 11:22:36 AM »
Wwwwwwhhhhhhhat?

The Padres are a good team. They will be in the MLB playoffs which takes place in October.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2021, 01:15:13 PM »
Saw this updated clarification statement, dated 4/13/2021, on the CCI website:

"Due to recent inquiries, we would like to clarify that the traditional Comic-Con in-person event in San Diego, normally held in July, has been postponed until summer 2022. However, Comic-Con@Home will return as an online event on July 23-25, 2021.

This fall we’re planning a smaller, supplemental event we’re calling Comic-Con Special Edition, taking place on November 26-28, 2021. It is our hope that by that point, conditions will permit in-person public gatherings of this kind. As details are still being finalized, badge cost, attendance capacity, and related information will be forthcoming.

Updated 4/13/2021"

It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline darqamin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 179
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2021, 08:13:50 AM »
I wonder if there will be an exclusive funko for the November event. The special edition name already is a good match for an exclusive  8)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:52 AM »
I wonder if there will be an exclusive funko for the November event. The special edition name already is a good match for an exclusive  8)

If there is my guess is they will hold back stock from the summer con.  Most are planned a year in advance and they didn't have a lot of notice.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2021, 10:51:45 PM »
Agree! And I think they will assuming the event happens. If a vendor is going to attend, they might as well make the most of it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2021, 11:40:30 AM »
I am a bit surprised that no further info about SDCC Special Edition have been released yet. It seems like eons since the November dates were announced.  ::)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2021, 09:15:20 PM »
I am a bit surprised that no further info about SDCC Special Edition have been released yet. It seems like eons since the November dates were announced.  ::)

I don't see how they can yet.  It's too far away and too much is still fluid.  It's not certain that it will even happen.

I know it feels like the pandemic is over.  Especially here in San Diego where the vaccination rate is high and the positivity rate is low.  But it's not.  I have to admit I'm being much more lax than I intended.

Globally, the pandemic is worse than it's ever been.  We aren't out of the woods yet.  Even with our vaccination rate.  Things can go badly quickly.  Areas in Brazil had a higher immunity rate than the US and they called it over and went back to normal.  Then the variant hit.  Now they are a global hotspot.  People who thought they were immune caught it a second time.

Chile and Israel are a two halves of a cautionary tale.  Both have a higher vaccination rate than the US.  At a certain point they diverged in their behavior.  Chile called it over and opened back up.  Israel stuck with pandemic precautions.  Israel is doing well.  Chile is spiking back up to it's peak.

It's not over.  There's still half a year before TurkeyCon.  I think it's too early to call the details.  The messaging has been changing in the US.  The talk of herd immunity is fading.  It doesn't look like we'll get there.  Now we are being prepped that it will become endemic.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2021, 09:39:01 PM »
I don't see how they can yet.  It's too far away and too much is still fluid.  It's not certain that it will even happen.

I know it feels like the pandemic is over.  Especially here in San Diego where the vaccination rate is high and the positivity rate is low.  But it's not.  I have to admit I'm being much more lax than I intended.

Globally, the pandemic is worse than it's ever been.  We aren't out of the woods yet.  Even with our vaccination rate.  Things can go badly quickly.  Areas in Brazil had a higher immunity rate than the US and they called it over and went back to normal.  Then the variant hit.  Now they are a global hotspot.  People who thought they were immune caught it a second time.

Chile and Israel are a two halves of a cautionary tale.  Both have a higher vaccination rate than the US.  At a certain point they diverged in their behavior.  Chile called it over and opened back up.  Israel stuck with pandemic precautions.  Israel is doing well.  Chile is spiking back up to it's peak.

It's not over.  There's still half a year before TurkeyCon.  I think it's too early to call the details.  The messaging has been changing in the US.  The talk of herd immunity is fading.  It doesn't look like we'll get there.  Now we are being prepped that it will become endemic.

Agree.  While we have high vaccinations in SD, the international (and national) vaccine rates matter due to the I in CCI.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
SDCC 2021
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2021, 06:45:38 AM »
Honestly, I believe the variants coming out of India will be scary because of the large numbers of reported and unreported cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »

Right; CCI made an announcement equivalent to "save the date on your calendar!" and I don't expect any sort of details until AT LEAST mid-summer, if not early fall.  If there's one thing I've learned as a teacher over the last (almost) 14 months of dealing with this pandemic, it's that things change very quickly and it's VERY hard to plan long-term for events.  I've been able to hold performances (small ensemble/solo stuff done socially distant w/parents/attendees in their cars listening to the performances via radio broadcast), but trying to plan a June concert in our own football stadium is incredibly difficult, even right now when we're 5 or so weeks out (what the set-up is permitted, how many attendees in the stands, etc).  I can't fathom trying to plan any sort of conference or convention in late November at this point, or at least in a way that I would feel comfortable releasing logistical details 6.5 months out.  My wife is planning an arts educators conference for mid-Sept. (she does one every fall), and that feels like a monumental task at this time knowing how very different things could/should be 4 months from now.  BUT, authorities can ONLY give guidance based on what's going on TODAY which makes long-term event planning incredibly difficult

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2021, 01:47:48 PM »
Also, they positioned it as a smaller regional show so probably not as much heads up for proper travel arrangements either. I would guess mid Summer before concrete details arrive

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk