Author Topic: Wondercon should stay in LA  (Read 11809 times)

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
Re: Wondercon should stay in LA
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 07:00:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wondercon should stay in LA. Not only is it 3x easier for me to go to Wondercon in LA, it is still in southern California and closer to northern California so many Comic Con fans can go there . Other conventions like Anime Expo, Comikaze and E3 have stayed in LA. I don't see why WonderCon shouldn't. I suppose people who want WC in San Francisco might say Southern California already has a lot of conventions, but since SDCC gets more attendees in SoCal, it would be a good idea if they stayed here for a while.

I'd like it if Wondercon became SDCC 2.0 and they split content between the two.  Both could have comics and art and the usual but maybe put more emphasis on movies at SDCC and television (or vice versa) at Wondercon. SDCC has gotten so big and so crazy, it really needs an outflow valve, which Wondercon could be.

Offline LarielRomeniel

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 06:35:03 AM »
Just did Anime Expo at LACC, and it merely reinforced my belief that the LACC stinks. Bad parking, bad access, horrible surroundings. The ONLY advantage I see with the LACC is the Microsoft Theatre.

I've done (non-fan) conventions in Anaheim and find that a much more pleasant experience than the LACC, so I'm glad Wondercon will be there next year. But both of them pale compared to the San Diego Convention Center and its environs.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 06:00:39 AM »

Offline sinester_1

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 05:46:00 PM »
 ::) got to disagree with this, an event like wondercon needs more room than the LA convention center is set to provide. the microsoft theatre was the achilles heel of wonder con this year. its just to spread out and in a non functional way. plus the con is too big. you would have to shut down that part of downtown as far as moving traffic.  just no flow, its better off in anaheim. the venue is closed off to traffic and people that don't want to be at wondercon. its a moot point they are back to anaheim next year anyway.

Offline LarielRomeniel

• Freebie Table
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
::) got to disagree with this, an event like wondercon needs more room than the LA convention center is set to provide. the microsoft theatre was the achilles heel of wonder con this year. its just to spread out and in a non functional way. plus the con is too big. you would have to shut down that part of downtown as far as moving traffic.  just no flow, its better off in anaheim. the venue is closed off to traffic and people that don't want to be at wondercon. its a moot point they are back to anaheim next year anyway.

I liked the Microsoft theater, just because it was bigger and more comfortable than Hall H in San Diego. But all the rest... yeah. It's not the same as the spread of Comic-Con in San Diego. You do a lot of walking there, and things are even more spread out than in LA, but most of it's spread along the waterfront, and the gateway into the Gaslamp is closed down at any rate.

If the San Diego Convention Center winds up with a non-contiguous expansion, we may see something similar to the walk to the Microsoft Theater. I didn't find the walk too bad, just the traffic.

Offline sinester_1

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
i know what you are saying and now you are talking about SDCC. Man that is a whole other animal. I think if comic con hadn't been in San Diego it couldn't have evolved the way it did. SDCC basically takes over the convention center, the hotels around that, the store fronts out from there, most of the gas lamp in one form or another. I've heard Downtown San Diego makes 1/4 of its revenue for the year the week of comic con. you are so right with the marina and the gas lamp its just a perfect place. I believe the expansion is back on. it's sort of hard to keep track because they keep starting and stopping. SDCC agreed to another 2 years 2016 being one of them. i really don't think san diego has a choice. their baseball team sucks, their football team want to go to LA. SDCC makes them a lot of money they can't afford to let them go. the Microsoft theatre is great the reason i referred to it is that is where they had the most trouble with the rfid sensors which in turn made a lot of people unhappy. the walking would be nicer in a more scenic part of LA maybe century city. Los Angeles really doesn't have a large enough venue or a large enough nice area next to a convention center. Believe I wish they did, I live in LA. the ambassador hotel was large enough and in a nice enough,(at least functional enough) area but some geniuses knocked it down years ago. its too bad really.

Offline LarielRomeniel

• Freebie Table
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
i know what you are saying and now you are talking about SDCC. Man that is a whole other animal. I think if comic con hadn't been in San Diego it couldn't have evolved the way it did. SDCC basically takes over the convention center, the hotels around that, the store fronts out from there, most of the gas lamp in one form or another. I've heard Downtown San Diego makes 1/4 of its revenue for the year the week of comic con. you are so right with the marina and the gas lamp its just a perfect place. I believe the expansion is back on. it's sort of hard to keep track because they keep starting and stopping. SDCC agreed to another 2 years 2016 being one of them. i really don't think san diego has a choice. their baseball team sucks, their football team want to go to LA. SDCC makes them a lot of money they can't afford to let them go. the Microsoft theatre is great the reason i referred to it is that is where they had the most trouble with the rfid sensors which in turn made a lot of people unhappy. the walking would be nicer in a more scenic part of LA maybe century city. Los Angeles really doesn't have a large enough venue or a large enough nice area next to a convention center. Believe I wish they did, I live in LA. the ambassador hotel was large enough and in a nice enough,(at least functional enough) area but some geniuses knocked it down years ago. its too bad really.

:) I work in news in SD. It's not quite a quarter of the downtown revenue, and there are analysts who say the numbers are smoke.

There are a couple of proposals out regarding the expansion and a possible Chargers stadium.

Offline sinester_1

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
sounded a little inflated I'm sure you are right. charger stadium huh? where ? Jack Murphy stadium or Qual Comm or whatever it is this year? I heard that the chargers were evoking
SDCC in their bid for more money. SDCC response was a polite version of WTF. i hope the proposals workout I really can't imagine SDCC anywhere else. That would truly be a sad day.