Author Topic: 2018 SDCC Funko South Pop! Up Shop  (Read 9782 times)

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
Re: 2018 SDCC Funko South Pop! Up Shop
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 03:14:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel like it's the same group of people spreading this.  Like Rev over on Funatics had a rumor attributed to him that he never even said.  Not to be a knock on Funatics; but they're a jumpy bunch.

The person who told me doesn't normally fall for that and was told first hand by the relieble source.    Others have said from several different FDO's that it was talked about like it was common knowledge.   I suspect the neighborhood doesn't want it back. 

Still though unless Funko confirms it we don't know for sure.  I'm just saying people should be prepared that it may not happen. 

I think I heard that Rev rumor and it was from a person who I knew didn't know him so I discarded it.  I think you are right though there is a group within the collectors that likes to start rumors just to start them.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 77
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
The person who told me doesn't normally fall for that and was told first hand by the relieble source.    Others have said from several different FDO's that it was talked about like it was common knowledge.   I suspect the neighborhood doesn't want it back. 

Still though unless Funko confirms it we don't know for sure.  I'm just saying people should be prepared that it may not happen. 

I think I heard that Rev rumor and it was from a person who I knew didn't know him so I discarded it.  I think you are right though there is a group within the collectors that likes to start rumors just to start them.

I don't think the neighborhood has/had any real control on it.  If they did; most NYC area's wouldn't have pop up shops.  Camping on public sidewalks is common.  People mention this "want to keep good relations" like that matters.  A lease is a lease.  If Funko didn't want campers they'd just change the policy to being a lottery not FCFS.  i am deeply curious how this turns out though.  If they plan on not doing it at all I wish they'd just say it now so people don't adjust their arrival dates in anticipation of something not happening.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:49:06 PM »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
I don't think the neighborhood has/had any real control on it.  If they did; most NYC area's wouldn't have pop up shops.  Camping on public sidewalks is common.  People mention this "want to keep good relations" like that matters.  A lease is a lease.  If Funko didn't want campers they'd just change the policy to being a lottery not FCFS.  i am deeply curious how this turns out though.  If they plan on not doing it at all I wish they'd just say it now so people don't adjust their arrival dates in anticipation of something not happening.

Sure legally your right but that doesn't mean people aren't respectful.   I think good relations does matter and because I do I have made great friends.   Sometimes people do things because it is the right thing to do, not because they have to. 

Also wouldn't telling people be keeping good relations?  So if they don't care about the neighbors why would they care about your travel plans? 

I don't know where you live but where I live camping out on the sidewalks is not common  :)

The lottery would have to give you your number in line or else people would still camp out.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 04:09:49 PM »
Sure legally your right but that doesn't mean people aren't respectful.   I think good relations does matter and because I do I have made great friends.   Sometimes people do things because it is the right thing to do, not because they have to. 

Also wouldn't telling people be keeping good relations?  So if they don't care about the neighbors why would they care about your travel plans? 

I don't know where you live but where I live camping out on the sidewalks is not common  :)

The lottery would have to give you your number in line or else people would still camp out.

To be clear; a business tenancy with it's neighbors is not at all the same thing with how you deal with other people.  You're treating Funko like it's a human; it's not it's a nasdaq listed business.  I live in NYC;  camping out is pretty common for pop up shops.  So is for console releases; or hot items in general.  Usually it's not days but sometimes it is. 

Online lottery would not require people camping; it's something a bunch of people on the forums have brought up before which I think is silly.  I think the neighbors are silly in getting upset over a week long event.  I think cancelling it because of less than a handful of those neighbors being pissy is equally as silly.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
To be clear; a business tenancy with it's neighbors is not at all the same thing with how you deal with other people.  You're treating Funko like it's a human; it's not it's a nasdaq listed business.  I live in NYC;  camping out is pretty common for pop up shops.  So is for console releases; or hot items in general.  Usually it's not days but sometimes it is. 

Online lottery would not require people camping; it's something a bunch of people on the forums have brought up before which I think is silly.  I think the neighbors are silly in getting upset over a week long event.  I think cancelling it because of less than a handful of those neighbors being pissy is equally as silly.

Just to be clear a lot of business do consider their neighbors.  I have worked for several companies that didn't do things because of the neighborhood.  Plus do they own the building? If not they have to consider being evicted.

NYC is a lot different than stores in smaller cities and suburbs.   I don't think you can compare.  I also think if we look at how much Funko takes their funatics they are also going to consider their neighbors. 

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
Just to be clear a lot of business do consider their neighbors.  I have worked for several companies that didn't do things because of the neighborhood.  Plus do they own the building? If not they have to consider being evicted.

NYC is a lot different than stores in smaller cities and suburbs.   I don't think you can compare.  I also think if we look at how much Funko takes their funatics they are also going to consider their neighbors.

I'm sure they do; my statement was only to point out that how you treat your friends is not the same as how a business operates.  I have no idea if they own it; I'm going to guess no. But I truly have no clue.

San Diego isn't a smaller city; it's the 8th largest city in the US by population.  How did small cities come into this? Funko is a company with 100+ mill in sales; they're not a mom and pop business anymore.  Anything to the contrary is just marketing. I say this as a Funatic (and I recognize your name from there too).  I'm not suggesting Funko fly a flag saying "eff our neighbors" but just about all of downtown SD is nuts for the week of comic con.  A few ruffled feather's is par for the course; and yeah I'll just go back to "do an online lottery" then. 

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 05:13:11 PM »
Let's agree to disagree  :)

Plus I can't spend more of my life talking about lotteries.  It's one subject that has been talked to death.  Can subjects be zombies?

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »

Plus I can't spend more of my life talking about lotteries.  It's one subject that has been talked to death.  Can subjects be zombies?
bbbbbrrrrrraaaaaiiiinnnnnnnsssssssssssss!
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Online ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »

This thread has become a post padder for you two

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sorry just kidding NCDS.  Don't hate me.  It was just too easy...........  I am now returning to messaging you directly   :-*

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »
Me and No Options have also padded our posts debating lotteries and so forth...in the end...agree to disagree.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
If it’s between a lottery and no pop up I’d say do a lottery. And dats de end of that discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:30 AM »
This thread has become a post padder for you two

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sorry just kidding NCDS.  Don't hate me.  It was just too easy...........  I am now returning to messaging you directly   :-*

Don't make me put you in the corner.  Or better yet your punishment is you have to do all my line time at the pop up shop should it end up happening.  I estimate a 1% chance of it happening.

Offline nootheroptions

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Don't make me put you in the corner.  Or better yet your punishment is you have to do all my line time at the pop up shop should it end up happening.  I estimate a 1% chance of it happening.

1% chance of pop up? We went from rumor to confirmed? Lol

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
1% chance of pop up? We went from rumor to confirmed? Lol

1% means there still is a chance but yes I feel my source is reliable.  However the 1% leaves it in the rumor category. 

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
I do not believe there will be a pop up shop.

I also believe Mike Becker runs Funko South and that's a guy who would very much care about crapping on his neighbors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter