Author Topic: Getting your costumes done...  (Read 9023 times)

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
Getting your costumes done...
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
Hey All! I'm feeling the crunch for getting our costumes done on time! I work full time and I'm in grad school, so I suddenly find myself running out of time to get everything done.

Anybody else worried about not making it? What do you do to keep yourself moving forward with your projects?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Getting your costumes done...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
Just like any other project. Make a list of everything that has to be done, and then set yourself a schedule. Stick to it, no matter what. If necessary, build in a cushion of time if you think you might have trouble meeting those deadlines.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:20:52 PM »

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:13:52 PM »
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do, but unfortunately I keep having to work late which is messing everything up. Priorities... pssh!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:12:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to do, but unfortunately I keep having to work late which is messing everything up. Priorities... pssh!

I hear you! I have work and such scheduled for the next few weeks every day, and then my DH gave me Diablo III for my birthday last weekend. NOT what I needed! Now I'm cursing myself for having to stick to work when I'd rather be playing the game... :(  Totally messed up my schedule!

In your case, I hope your work eases up so you can get back to your costume-making.

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »
Putting a cosplay together (especially if you're a stickler for accuracy) takes a lot of time, most of it factors on workmanship and duration of shipping.
I'm really lucky to have gotten my badges during the 1st round of online sales, so that gave me a couple of months to work on 4 cosplays (AHHHHH!!!). This is what I did to plan my progress:

First, I printed out reference pictures in as many angles and close-ups as possible.

I then demarcated each aspect (wig, dress, sword, boots, necklace, wings etc - I break the whole cosplay down into all the little parts) and put a checkbox next to each one. Also, I write down next to each aspect how I plan achieve it. Eg. Wig - Buy from eBay. (Check) Styling required (Check) Or - Wings - Make skeletal frame (Check) Buy feathers (Check) Sanding and painting (Check). This way I don't leave out anything out of my costume and am able to keep track of every single detail.

My work schedule is absolutely insane - about 60+ hours a week - and my weekends are also taken up by freelance work or errands, so I try to do as much as possible, as early as possible. You'll never know when something arrives that doesn't meet expectations, when your costume breaks or if the spray paint you've been using ends up corroding your weapon or something. Everything that I need to buy online and have shipped to me, I get it done first so as to allow for the 1-3 weeks it can take for delivery. EVERY time I hit the shops, whether with friends or not, I always keep an eye out for anything that can constitute as a part of my cosplay. I bring that checkbox list around with me everywhere so I remember to look out for these things.

Currently I'm about 95% done with all four, I guess my biggest challenge now is getting my body to not look like a potato sack, hahaha!

Good luck with your costumes, Abunai!! How much more do you have before completion?

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
    • Co-Founder/ Senior Editor
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
Hey All! I'm feeling the crunch for getting our costumes done on time! I work full time and I'm in grad school, so I suddenly find myself running out of time to get everything done.

Anybody else worried about not making it? What do you do to keep yourself moving forward with your projects?

I am definitely worried about not making my anime costume this year, so I ditched that idea. lol I couldnt get the motivation spirit up. I will only cosplay for the screening of Trek Nation. And that costume is complete with details. And speaking of…time to get it pressed and cleaned and the wig shaken out and ready for packing!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:00:21 PM »
Savage Days, what are you cosplaying for Trek Nation? I used the even as an excuse to get myself that Starfleet uniform I've always wanted, but as far as Trek cosplays are concerned, it's very 'run of the mill'...

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
I have a few projects I'm working on. One costume is about 95% of the way there, I still need to attach sleeves and figure out an issue I'm having with getting the right bustle shape. The second I decided to do later in the game so that's about 65-70% complete. The tricky part with that one is that there are a lot of prop pieces involved that I haven't resolved the construction on yet. Also, I have some prop work to do for my husband's primary costume (one main piece that we only found the base for last week) his is mostly mundane clothes and a few key props and tada! It's the character.

Additionally we're going to get some store-bought TNG uniforms just because it wouldn't be complete without a little Trek thrown in! And I'm not making those because of time, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel there.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:15:28 PM »
I did the same for the Trek costume. So many people making great ones out there that I just took advantage of that.

Abunai, how many props do you have for your costume? Do you need them all? Maybe work on the most important one first, and so on and so on... at least get the significant pieces done first.

Offline Abunai

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:53:53 PM »
I did the same for the Trek costume. So many people making great ones out there that I just took advantage of that.

Abunai, how many props do you have for your costume? Do you need them all? Maybe work on the most important one first, and so on and so on... at least get the significant pieces done first.

Well, for one costume, only 1. But I probably won't worry about that because it's not going to be the type of thing I'll want to bother carrying all day.

For the other (Nausicaa) It's the issue of 3 key peices and then there are a bunch of smaller items that shouldn't be difficult (pouches and the like). But the 3 I need in order of importance are:

1. Hat with embedded eye protection: Need this, and there are structural components that I think I have figured out as of last night, just need to build it.

2. Rifle: Technically don't need it, but I love what it does for the overall 'look'.

3. Ceramic Sword: This is the one that'll be cut if I can't figure it out. I'm just not sure of the best way to approximate a ceramic blade without working in resins (and those are so nasty).

And my husband's primary prop is a wood staff that needs to have glowing runes in the top. I know how to make it, just need to actually sit down and do it now that we have the right piece of wood for it.

I think it's time to employ Dogberry's suggestion of the checklist. I do loooove a good checklist.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:01:26 PM »
Checklists rock!  *nods head vigorously*

I'm very interested in seeing your husband's 'staff with glowing runes'. That should look great!

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:23:07 PM »
Savage Days, what are you cosplaying for Trek Nation? I used the even as an excuse to get myself that Starfleet uniform I've always wanted, but as far as Trek cosplays are concerned, it's very 'run of the mill'...

Officer Lieutenant Uhura. The 1960s version that is. Complete with an official/unofficial PADD that I created. YOW!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:28:43 PM by 28savagedays »

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 01:27:02 PM »
I have a few projects I'm working on. One costume is about 95% of the way there, I still need to attach sleeves and figure out an issue I'm having with getting the right bustle shape. The second I decided to do later in the game so that's about 65-70% complete. The tricky part with that one is that there are a lot of prop pieces involved that I haven't resolved the construction on yet. Also, I have some prop work to do for my husband's primary costume (one main piece that we only found the base for last week) his is mostly mundane clothes and a few key props and tada! It's the character.

Additionally we're going to get some store-bought TNG uniforms just because it wouldn't be complete without a little Trek thrown in! And I'm not making those because of time, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel there.

WOW you are coming along nicely with the costumes. Good job!

Offline TrustNo1

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 09:28:27 PM »
Yeah it's so hard to get everything done in time... I learned a few things from my cosplay last year...

#1. DON'T RELY ON SUPER GLUE. I was Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill and wouldn't you know it, all the spikes I super-glued onto my ball and chain started to break off within the first 10 minutes at the Con. So I had to trash the thing.

#2. Pack a change of clothes or a spare shirt at least on the day you wear your costume, if you're not going to head back to the hotel. If I'da known there was going to be a dance party at SDCC ( ::) ) I wouldn't have worn the same thing til 2 am, lol.

This year I made two costumes but one of them seems like it's going to be too hot to wear it with the jacket, and I dunno if it'll be recognizable enough without it on...... ugh.  :(

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
Officer Lieutenant Uhura. The 1960s version that is. Complete with an official/unofficial PADD that I created. YOW!

Nice! I'll look out for you there!