Author Topic: Costume Weapons: Worth it?  (Read 6639 times)

Offline Eckie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
Costume Weapons: Worth it?
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
Hi, this is my first post, so hopefully I'm following protocol. This is also my first time at Comic-con. I am planning on cosplaying Chell from Portal one day. I managed to snag a NECA portal gun replica, but now I'm wondering if it's worth it to bring it? I'm thinking it would be difficult to bring on the plane, so I might have to ship it. It's fairly heavy and awkward to carry. And lastly, I'm wondering if the weapons check line is another long line to wait in. I'm guessing it might delay getting in line for panel rooms? Thanks for any tips or insight!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Costume Weapons: Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
I have never done cosplay, but some things to consider are: 

If it is heavy and awkward, remember that you are going to be carrying this around with you all the time that you are there.  People are going to ask for your photo a lot and will probably expect (although you don't have to) for you to pose with the weapon which could be tiring.  This can also limit how much other stuff you can carry or buy because you have the weapon to carry.

On the flip side, if the weapon is what makes the costume and pulls the whole thing together--well, there you go.  You don't want for your costume to look incomplete without.

If it will break you heart if you ship it and it gets lost, I would leave it at home.

I'm sure that others will chime in, but there's some things to consider.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:10:31 PM by Chris Chen »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 09:52:06 AM »

Offline Hidajunshin

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
If you're worried about carrying it on board, check it in your luggage.  It's not illegal because it's fake (and non-functional).  I wouldn't ship it.  That's too much hassle and too much risk of it getting lost.

As for the weapons check, I personally have never had any of my weapons checked, nor do I bother with getting them checked.  I've never seen the line at the weapons check station appear too long (10-15 minutes maybe) when I do walk right by it.  But don't do what I do. 

But if all you're going to do is go straight to a panel where no one will see your costume anyway, why bother to bring it that day?  Or if you're concerned about getting a good spot in line, get to the panel and then go back for your weapon in your car or hotel after.  Then get it checked. The line should be shorter at the weapons check. 

Offline princessology

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
I cosplay pretty much every day at every con :D This is my first SDCC too and I have been wondering why there isn't a good guide for cosplaying at this (or just industry cons in general) as it can be completely different than cosplaying at a hotel con! At NYCC my thought process is this: if it's something I would eventually end up heading to the hotel room to put down and change into something easier at a hotel con, don't bring it/wear it to an industry con. I've had swords, staffs, giant headpieces, shoes that eventually have to be changed in and out of for pictures - and if I'm not at a con where I can at least semi-quickly get back to my room to change if I need to, I don't bring anything cumbersome or uncomfortable. is there another way you can make your costume recognizable without the gun? Maybe make a craftfoam cube or something?

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
I'd say, any 'weapon' that is pretty obviously a fan-made prop of a sci-fi / fantasy non-realistic gun, security wouldn't blink an eye - it's when you have COD semi-automatic replicas and swords with potentially real edges, they get involved. my only concern would be as listed above: a Portal gun is an unwieldy thing to start with, just be prepared to be carrying it around ll day, getting barged and pushed from pillar to post. Just know what you're getting yourself in for.
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline Eckie

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
Thank you all for your advice. You've given me a lot to consider! I should probably mention that not only is this my first time at SDCC, it's my first time at any convention, AND my first time doing any kind of cosplay. Yeah, I'm just going all in :-) I do also have a Glados potato battery kit as a backup. All I would need to carry around is a potato if I go that route. lol. It is not nearly as bad-ass as the Portal gun, but at the same time, the gun is a limited edition replica that is fairly valuable (I have negative DIY skills), and seems fairly fragile along with its general heft.

So, although it's somewhat disappointing, I'm getting the gist that the overall opinion is I'd be better off leaving the gun at home this time. Especially given that my hotel is in Mission Valley and I don't plan on renting a car. Maybe save the gun for a smaller convention later? I have a feeling that after experiencing SDCC, I'll want see what a less enormous convention experience is like anyway!

Offline Hidajunshin

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 05:56:44 PM »
My first Comic Con, I went in my USCM armor with an authentic replica Pulse Rifle.  I was tired of carrying it by the end of the day and everyone wanted to hold it (and I wouldn't let them cuz the damn thing cost so much money).  But I am local so I don't have to worry about taking it on a plane; and that con actually had walking room/breathing room, and panels were very easy to get into.  I haven't worn my armor to Comic Con since that time and I brought my Pulse Rifle only one other time (to get it signed).  I've seen other people do Chell with the weapons, but perhaps they made lightweight replicas?  It may not be that difficult if you search around prop making forums. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

Offline TKRalf

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 06:47:08 PM »
Checking in your weapon doesn't take that long.  Last year the line was only about 3 people and security is pretty common sense type of thing.  I personally wouldn't be able to walk around without my blaster, (I mean who's heard of a blasterless stormtrooper?), but it was expensive to build but its the risk you take in order to look awesome. 

But yes, people will ask to hold it, and yea you will get stopped ALOT, and yes you will get tired, but we don't do it to be comfortable, we do it to look awesome.
"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people"

"If I were normal, I'd be boring"

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »
Yeah just do something simple since it your first con.  You will want to do as much as possible your first time and doing anything extravagant will just slow you down.  You can go more extravagant once you've had some experience IMO

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:45:54 AM »
I agree with Carlo. I think it's awesome that you're going to cosplay, but you want to take it a little slowly. Wear your costume, enjoy yourself, but look out for other cosplayers and see what they go through/endure. That way for next year you will know what changes you want to make. I have been wearing costumes since my first year and I keep tweaking them every year!