Author Topic: Packing Cosplay for Airline Travel  (Read 1995 times)

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
Packing Cosplay for Airline Travel
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:17 PM »
(I wasn't entirely sure if I should post this in the Cosplay thread or here so if any mods see this, please feel free to remove it or let me know!)

Anyway, this is the first time I'll be flying into San Diego for SDCC (my family and I normally make the drive down from SF) and I was curious as to how people who bring cosplay pack it in their luggage and what's good to check-in versus have it in carryon? (obviously no prop weapons)

I have an Ant-Man helmet that I'm bringing and I just want to make sure that I don't get weird looks from TSA when I go through security.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
Re: Packing Cosplay for Airline Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »
It hasn't seemed to be an issue on our end.  Just make sure you put anything that looks like a weapon in your checked bags.  One year we did Walking Dead and I'm sure TSA looked through our luggage 16 times.  Masks and hats aren't a big deal - but we did bring a bag to cover them with.  Another year someone in our group had an armor build which was mailed to the hotel in advance and waiting for us when we arrived.  Bottom line here - is that its no big deal at all.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:13:09 PM »

Offline CptMyCpt24

• Hall H
  • myth of the chupacabra is just that - utter crap
  • Liked: 115
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 06:14:28 AM »
Usually in checked bags it's fine.  I made a cane a few years back that didn't fit in any boxes or luggage so I carried it on without hassle.
SDCC: 2011-2014, 2016-2019, 2022-| ECCC: 2015-2018, 2021 | WonderCon: ? | DragonCon: ? | NYCC: ?

Zim: Ummm, is it supposed to be stupid?
Tallest Purple: It's not stupid; [sarcastically] it's advanced!

Online foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
When I have gone to Dragon Con in the past (only con I've been too where I both flew and brought costumes) anything soft/non fragile goes in the suitcases.  Helmets I carried on and more fragile stuff I actually shipped to the hotel, trusting Fedex over TSA.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Sort of off-topic, but [member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] how was your experience shipping to a hotel? I'm considering to it this year if I end up taking the train down, but I've never done it and I'm not sure how it works. Do you call the hotel ahead of time? Do they ever have a problem with it? Do you have to time it to arrive the same day you do? Do they usually charge a fee?

Any information would be appreciated, thanks.

Online foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sort of off-topic, but [member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] how was your experience shipping to a hotel? I'm considering to it this year if I end up taking the train down, but I've never done it and I'm not sure how it works. Do you call the hotel ahead of time? Do they ever have a problem with it? Do you have to time it to arrive the same day you do? Do they usually charge a fee?

Okay, going off of memory here as its been 3 years since I've last been to DragonCon.   The hotel I shipped it to had a FedEx in the hotel.  You would ship it to that FedEx and put on the label that it was for a guest with the name of the guest and arrival date.  Normal shipping rates applied.  However, there was a holding fee I think if they had to hold it for a day you weren't going to be there the day it arrived.  You have to calculate with FedEx how long it will take to arrive so you send it in time.

For a hotel without a FedEx in store you could always ship it to the closest FedEx and pick it up there or call the hotel and ask them about their policies.  I've heard of other people doing both of those options.

At any rate, every time I shipped my stuff got there in time without damage.  I really think its the way to go.  It may be more expensive (depending on luggage fees) but you have more control over the packaging and you know it won't be opened up by anyone that thinks its suspicious.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 01:28:35 PM by foxbatkllr »

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »
I had a proton pack last year in a checked bag. I printed out a picture of it from the movie with a note that said "this is movie prop, its made out of cardboard, foam, etc" just so they wouldn't rip it apart.

Online foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
I had a proton pack last year in a checked bag. I printed out a picture of it from the movie with a note that said "this is movie prop, its made out of cardboard, foam, etc" just so they wouldn't rip it apart.

Yeah its always good to have a note like that.  I have a friend that includes a photo of him wearing the entire costume in with the checked bag.  I have also heard horror stories of despite doing all of that, they still take everything apart to inspect and put it back in poorly packed, resulting in damage.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 05:42:34 PM »

We have stayed at hotels that did not have Fed Ex within the hotel (indigo/res inn etc).  We just call the hotel - tell them what's coming, the size of the package along with estimated arrival.  They stored it no problem/no charge.  Indigo even had it sitting in our room waiting for us when we arrived. We ship early to get the cheaper rates.  When it was time to leave, we took the box to the concierge and asked them to mail it back to us (again - no rush) .  No sweat at all!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 10:31:01 AM »
We have stayed at hotels that did not have Fed Ex within the hotel (indigo/res inn etc).  We just call the hotel - tell them what's coming, the size of the package along with estimated arrival.  They stored it no problem/no charge.  Indigo even had it sitting in our room waiting for us when we arrived. We ship early to get the cheaper rates.  When it was time to leave, we took the box to the concierge and asked them to mail it back to us (again - no rush) .  No sweat at all!

I have friends that do the same and I'm thinking about trying it out this year. It's cheaper to do it that way than to try and stuff everything into your suitcase, which will weigh it down forcing you to pay extra. Plus, you'll have more space if you want to buy souvenirs and exclusives. The only thing I'm wary of is someone kicking my package around. A couple of my costumes have electronics and are fragile. Bubble wrap and foam peanuts can only absorb so much punishment.

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
I have friends that do the same and I'm thinking about trying it out this year. It's cheaper to do it that way than to try and stuff everything into your suitcase, which will weigh it down forcing you to pay extra. Plus, you'll have more space if you want to buy souvenirs and exclusives. The only thing I'm wary of is someone kicking my package around. A couple of my costumes have electronics and are fragile. Bubble wrap and foam peanuts can only absorb so much punishment.

I put mine in a hard sided suitcase and put padding around it and it still had some minor damage. I'd recommend bringing a small repair kit with you. I brought a mini glue gun, needle/thread, scissors, etc and was able to fix it up.