Author Topic: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid  (Read 127776 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Reports & check ins in the age of Covid
« Reply #750 on: February 27, 2021, 05:47:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Yeh, my dad has been postponed again.  This time he already has received his rescheduled appointment time, which is this coming Wednesday.  This is for the 2nd dose, so maybe they're prioritizing getting the 2nd does to people within a certain timeframe?
according to the news they are prioritizing the second doses

I thought I had heard (in San Diego) that the 50-65 age group was going to be starting up within the next few weeks as well; like the county/state or whatever is pushing "Tier 1 B teachers/PD/essential workers" Feb. 27 and 50-65 mid-March.
as of 2 or 3 days ago the 50-64 age group was listed in the 1C category. Now, poof, we've been disappeared

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #751 on: February 27, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
They changed it
50-64 are no longer listed in the 1C catagory

they only list general population over 16 in phase 2.

50-64 is **gone** from the list

You're right.  It seems 50-64 has been pushed into phase 2 since that's the only category that fits now, which is everyone else.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #752 on: Today at 11:54:07 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: February 27, 2021, 08:30:02 PM »
You're right.  It seems 50-64 has been pushed into phase 2 since that's the only category that fits now, which is everyone else.

This if from a friend on FB who is also on this board but i dont want to cross post without his permision

I know exactly how you feel. I'm 63, soon to be 64 and feel like I've been pushed to the end of the line. My wife is already 64 and feels like she'll have to wait until she turns 65 in September. Happy to let higher priority people go first, but a lot less happy about being lumped in with the general population.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #753 on: February 28, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
I got my first shot today.  Since Petco is closed, I went to one of the Sharp supersites.  I'm impressed.  They are a model of efficient mass vaccinations.  They want you to show up 15 mins before your appt. I was done with the vaccination, including the 15 minute wait about 5 mins after my schedule appt time.  While I had to wait in line for about a minute out front, that was more of a line management issue.  Since when I got inside and was checking in, there were some check in desks waiting for people to show up.  So effectively, there was no line.  I think from walking in the front door to stepping into the 15 minute waiting area took about 5 mins.  That's so much faster than Petco.  I don't think I've ever seen any numbers from Sharp, but I have to believe they at least do the same volume as Petco if not more.

There was a separate process for teachers.  At least they were segregated out.  At the front door, teachers to the right and everyone else to the left.  I'd say that about half the people getting vaccinated were younger than 65.  Many much younger.

I wanted to get vaccinated now before the J&J vaccine hit.  I will echo that everyone should get any vaccine they can whenever they can, but I wanted a 2 dose vaccine because of the variants.  That second dose really boosts immune response which compensates for the lower response to the SA variant.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #754 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »
Update from County Office of Ed:
* there are 19,000 (out of 28kish) education employees who are in Quartile 4 (schools in zip codes with at-risk demos + high infection rates)
* 8,000/19,000 have made vaccine appointments so far through the county Ed. vaccine system

Unofficial Ed. Vaccination news:
* every educator I personally know already has an appointment(s) for their vaccination doses
* nearly every educator I personally know bypassed the County Office of Ed. system and went to a non-county run site (within the state guidance)
* some people I know went to local drug stores (Rite Aid maybe?) over the weekend w/zero waiting: the places were practically _begging_ for people to come down ASAP so doses wouldn't go to waste

While Petco had issues w/Moderna doses, other non-county run sites seemed to not have any issues receiving doses.  CDC and CDPH officials have been stating not to worry about 2nd doses: sites will have them as needed, and the supply change seems to generally be consistent for the most part (individual sites may vary, obviously, but overall things seem to be in a good place).
As of a week or so ago, San Diego County was the #2 county in CA for vaccine distribution.

So those of us waiting our turn, it feels like things are improving rapidly (especially with Johnson and Johnson being ramped up in the system within the next few weeks) and we _MIGHT_ get through this sooner than later.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #755 on: March 01, 2021, 12:48:36 PM »
Mom just got her second dose of Moderna at Kaiser in Anaheim this morning.   :)
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #756 on: March 01, 2021, 02:41:07 PM »
My dad got his 2nd shot today.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #757 on: March 01, 2021, 08:01:06 PM »

I wanted to get vaccinated now before the J&J vaccine hit.  I will echo that everyone should get any vaccine they can whenever they can, but I wanted a 2 dose vaccine because of the variants.  That second dose really boosts immune response which compensates for the lower response to the SA variant.

“An analysis by the Food and Drug Administration found that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was 85 percent effective at preventing severe Covid-19 and 100 percent effective at preventing death. In the U.S., the single dose was 72 percent effective at preventing moderate to severe disease.”

“In South Africa, where a strain of the virus thought to be more contagious is widespread, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was found to be 64 percent effective at preventing moderate to severe disease.

In early analyses, both the Moderna and the Pfizer vaccines were found to be less protective against the South African variant, although neutralizing antibodies for both remained above protective levels.”

———

“J&J also released preliminary data indicating the vaccine likely helps prevent asymptomatic infections, and that the Brazil variant doesn't appear to have as much of an impact on vaccine efficacy as the South African variant.” If anyone was wondering about the Brazil variant and asymptomatic infections.

Btw, J&J is testing out a two shot regimen. Overall, Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J vaccines are all good. No one should worry about which shot to get. Also, boosters will be released later.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:05:31 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #758 on: March 01, 2021, 08:48:35 PM »
Btw, J&J is testing out a two shot regimen. Overall, Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J vaccines are all good. No one should worry about which shot to get. Also, boosters will be released later.

Yes, J&J has only completed it's one dose arm.  The two dose trial is ongoing.  The data for the one dose vaccines matches the data from one dose of the two dose vaccines.  So it's to be expected that 2 doses of J&J will match 2 doses of the BioNTech and Moderna vaccines.  These vaccines all do the same thing, they introduce the spike protein so that your body can have a immune response.  They just take different routes to get there.  They all get to the same place in the end.  So their efficacy should all be about the same.

The issue is that the J&J vaccine, as it's given now, is in one dose.  Not two doses.  So it's not the brand of vaccine that I was concerned about, it's the number of doses.  Here's why.

"Moderna published a correspondence in NEJM on Wednesday with similar data previously disclosed elsewhere that showed a sixfold drop antibody levels versus the South African variant."

"He[Fauci] pointed out that a second dose boosts by 10-fold the number of neutralizing antibodies made in response to the vaccine."

So the SA variant elicits 6x less response than the prototype.  That second dose allows your immune system to have 10x more response.  That second dose compensates for the lower response for the SA variant.  The response with that second dose for the SA variant is as good as the response for the common variant with one dose.  So given the opportunity, I want that second dose.  Again, if I didn't have that opportunity I would gladly take a one dose vaccine.  One dose is better than no doses.  I would just plan on getting a second dose later.  But I had the opportunity to get 2 doses instead of 1.  I took it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 09:05:11 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #759 on: March 01, 2021, 09:53:44 PM »
My dad got his 2nd shot today.

I gotta admit.  My dad getting his 2nd shot post getting 7 likes is pretty heart warming.

Thanks, homies!  :)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: March 02, 2021, 07:12:23 AM »
I gotta admit.  My dad getting his 2nd shot post getting 7 likes is pretty heart warming.

Thanks, homies!  :)

i (we) get it
we're all worried about our parents. Seeing someone else's folks protected by the vaccine is palpable.
**hugs**
my mom's second shot is on Wed & my Dad's is the following monday -

They should be fully protected by the time i visit on the 18th

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #761 on: March 02, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
Yes, J&J has only completed it's one dose arm.  The two dose trial is ongoing.  The data for the one dose vaccines matches the data from one dose of the two dose vaccines.  So it's to be expected that 2 doses of J&J will match 2 doses of the BioNTech and Moderna vaccines.  These vaccines all do the same thing, they introduce the spike protein so that your body can have a immune response.  They just take different routes to get there.  They all get to the same place in the end.  So their efficacy should all be about the same.

The issue is that the J&J vaccine, as it's given now, is in one dose.  Not two doses.  So it's not the brand of vaccine that I was concerned about, it's the number of doses.  Here's why.

"Moderna published a correspondence in NEJM on Wednesday with similar data previously disclosed elsewhere that showed a sixfold drop antibody levels versus the South African variant."

"He[Fauci] pointed out that a second dose boosts by 10-fold the number of neutralizing antibodies made in response to the vaccine."

So the SA variant elicits 6x less response than the prototype.  That second dose allows your immune system to have 10x more response.  That second dose compensates for the lower response for the SA variant.  The response with that second dose for the SA variant is as good as the response for the common variant with one dose.  So given the opportunity, I want that second dose.  Again, if I didn't have that opportunity I would gladly take a one dose vaccine.  One dose is better than no doses.  I would just plan on getting a second dose later.  But I had the opportunity to get 2 doses instead of 1.  I took it.
True, but I still recommend to anyone to not really worry about which vaccine to get. Also, J&J did test their vaccine against the SA variant more so during testing, than the other 2 did until after vaccine approval. So, J&J vaccine is more ‘battle tested’ against the SA variant. Regardless, the main thing is that all 3 prevented death during testing. That is very important. No matter which variant it was.

And I would have done the same if presented with that same scenario; any vaccine is better than none like you said. :)
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #762 on: March 02, 2021, 08:43:01 AM »
True, but I still recommend to anyone to not really worry about which vaccine to get. Also, J&J did test their vaccine against the SA variant more so during testing, than the other 2 did until after vaccine approval. So, J&J vaccine is more ‘battle tested’ against the SA variant. Regardless, the main thing is that all 3 prevented death during testing. That is very important. No matter which variant it was.

And I would have done the same if presented with that same scenario; any vaccine is better than none like you said. :)
I read an article this am somewhere on my phone that said the J&J has a high rate of efficacy after 6-8 weeks: like, after the 4 week efficacy it's in the 65% or whatever while the other two are 90-95%, but after the 6-8 weeks J&J is at that same 90-95%

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #763 on: March 02, 2021, 10:20:30 AM »
I read an article this am somewhere on my phone that said the J&J has a high rate of efficacy after 6-8 weeks: like, after the 4 week efficacy it's in the 65% or whatever while the other two are 90-95%, but after the 6-8 weeks J&J is at that same 90-95%

Would you send me a link to that article?  I would be interested in seeing it.

Looking at the briefing document for the J&J vaccine, it's efficacy is 67% after 14 days and 66% after 28 days.  As with all these vaccines, 2 weeks after the first injection the bulk of immunity is reached.  It's really remarkable how well the studies of the various vaccines track.  All the studies could have been of the same vaccine.  One dose of BioNTech or Moderna is the same 85% effectiveness against serious illness as one dose of J&J.  Dose for dose, effectively, all the vaccines are the same.  The only difference is really getting one dose or two doses.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #764 on: March 02, 2021, 10:23:06 AM »
Got shot #1 for me today.  Per the record card: Moderna.  Rite-Aid will actually auto-schedule #2 so I get to wait for 28ish days for them to reach out.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"