Author Topic: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion  (Read 74478 times)

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
Re: SDCC 2020 Hotel Discussion
« Reply #420 on: March 19, 2020, 04:37:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't count on it. Just look at the packed Florida beaches.

Yes, will lead to another leap in cases not only in Florida but wherever they travel back to.  :(

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #421 on: March 25, 2020, 03:50:30 PM »
On March 12th Hilton sent an email which included this:
All reservations – even those described as "non-cancellable" (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.

Today they sent another one saying that date has been extended to June 30th.

I think in a couple more weeks those of us with "non-cancellable" Bayfront reservations are going to have one less thing to worry about.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 01:41:18 AM »

Offline conventiongeek

• Hall H
  • Liked: 270
« Reply #422 on: April 03, 2020, 02:00:59 PM »
Hello all... I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. We all pray this passes soon and we can get back to our con-fun!

With that being said... Any news on the Hotel sale? It's now April and the sale (if it happens on schedule) should be in the next couple weeks. I would hope that they make some kind of announcement soon as to if it will happen or be delayed. Difficult to speculate what the right thing to do... Part of me thinks it would be unfair to ask people to make a large deposit on a room right now with so many people out of work etc... The other part, just wants things to be as normal as possible and to proceed as much as we can until a decision needs to make made later down the road. 

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #423 on: April 03, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
Under the circumstances, I would like to see some guarantee that the hotel is fully refundable also.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #424 on: April 03, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »
I’m guessing that if Hotelpocalypse doesn’t happen this month, then SDCC will be cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #425 on: April 03, 2020, 06:51:03 PM »
I’m guessing that if Hotelpocalypse doesn’t happen this month, then SDCC will be cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats everyone guess but it seems they are willing to postpone it may or even june

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #426 on: April 03, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
thats everyone guess but it seems they are willing to postpone it may or even june
That amount of delay would be unfair to everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #427 on: April 03, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
Yup, that would be a clusterf*. Among the many issues:

* How will they handle refunds? Usually, you have a couple months for full refunds, and then it's partial refunds. Will they narrow it down to weeks, if not days?

* What if Hotelpocalypse happens, and then SDCC cancels? Do we all have to individually cancel our reservations, or will it be done automatically? What if SDCC is canceled after the full refund cuttoff?

* Can they guarantee all hotels would be still available? In fact, I'm not at all sure how hotels are dealing with COVID-19. Have they scaled way back? Have some closed doors temporarily? I can assume at least all their facilities, like restaurants and gyms and pools are closed. But perhaps they're also making sure guests are in rooms as far apart as possible, and maybe they'll still want that policy through July. They may just say, hey, we're open, but we're making only half our rooms available. And then you have to ask, will some hotels try to back out altogether from their agreement with SDCC?

* Hotelpocalypse is usually a 2-3 week process. Fill out the lottery form, wait a week for round 1, wait another week for round 2, and if you still don't have a hotel, then you're on the waitlist for another X weeks. So you would be cutting it EXTREMELY close to the SDCC date if you are unlucky in Hotelpocalypse and are scrambling for a room. I mean, just among FoCC, we have a non-trivial number of people here who took 2-3 months to find a hotel. We definitely won't have that kind of luxury this time around.

I'm sure I'm missing a few issues, but those are the ones that are glaring to me.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
That amount of delay would be unfair to everyone.

I disagree. Under the circumstances, I think delaying the hotel sale until they’ve decided for sure the event will be held (or canceled) would be the most fair thing for everyone.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »
Yup, that would be a clusterf*. Among the many issues:

* How will they handle refunds? Usually, you have a couple months for full refunds, and then it's partial refunds. Will they narrow it down to weeks, if not days?

* What if Hotelpocalypse happens, and then SDCC cancels? Do we all have to individually cancel our reservations, or will it be done automatically? What if SDCC is canceled after the full refund cuttoff?

* Can they guarantee all hotels would be still available? In fact, I'm not at all sure how hotels are dealing with COVID-19. Have they scaled way back? Have some closed doors temporarily? I can assume at least all their facilities, like restaurants and gyms and pools are closed. But perhaps they're also making sure guests are in rooms as far apart as possible, and maybe they'll still want that policy through July. They may just say, hey, we're open, but we're making only half our rooms available. And then you have to ask, will some hotels try to back out altogether from their agreement with SDCC?

* Hotelpocalypse is usually a 2-3 week process. Fill out the lottery form, wait a week for round 1, wait another week for round 2, and if you still don't have a hotel, then you're on the waitlist for another X weeks. So you would be cutting it EXTREMELY close to the SDCC date if you are unlucky in Hotelpocalypse and are scrambling for a room. I mean, just among FoCC, we have a non-trivial number of people here who took 2-3 months to find a hotel. We definitely won't have that kind of luxury this time around.

I'm sure I'm missing a few issues, but those are the ones that are glaring to me.

The first three considerations are good reasons why the hotel sale should be delayed until they’re sure SDCC is happening.

1. This is simple — no refunds on deposits. If the hotel sale is delayed until June, by this point anyone who books a room should have a good idea if they can go or not.

2. Waiting to hold it until they’re sure SDCC happens will prevent this from becoming an issue entirely.

3. By May or June, more hotels will have an idea of how they can manage things. This means a lower probability of hotels that have already booked having to change things and cancel reservations.

4. Yes, June would be cutting it close. However, considering the circumstances, I don’t expect the demand for hotels to be as high this year. There have always been hotels available after the sale, just not ones downtown. Also, many of the hotel rooms that opened up the last few years were last minute ones anyway.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »
@hikanteki

Here’s the thing though... SDCC can’t be 100% sure the con is happening until it actually happens. They may get the okay from the city and state, and they may get all the hotels to buy in, but as we’ve all experienced lately, things can change overnight. Who’s to say the government won’t order a new Shelter in Place come July, after any potential hotel sale has occurred? Or at the last minute, the city decides, SDCC is just too high a risk. Or another possible scenario; it’s discovered someone attended Preview Night has COVID-19, and they shut down the rest of SDCC. If you say no refunds, you’ve just opened yourself to one huge lawsuit from tens of thousands of angry nerds.

In this climate, you need more assurances that you can get your money back, not less. Especially with unemployment skyrocketing and people with less spending cash (if you’re one of those, you probably shouldn’t be going to SDCC anyway, but that’s a different topic).

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2020, 02:31:54 PM »

Here’s the thing though... SDCC can’t be 100% sure the con is happening until it actually happens. They may get the okay from the city and state, and they may get all the hotels to buy in, but as we’ve all experienced lately, things can change overnight. Who’s to say the government won’t order a new Shelter in Place come July, after any potential hotel sale has occurred? Or at the last minute, the city decides, SDCC is just too high a risk. Or another possible scenario; it’s discovered someone attended Preview Night has COVID-19, and they shut down the rest of SDCC. If you say no refunds, you’ve just opened yourself to one huge lawsuit from tens of thousands of angry nerds.

In this climate, you need more assurances that you can get your money back, not less. Especially with unemployment skyrocketing and people with less spending cash (if you’re one of those, you probably shouldn’t be going to SDCC anyway, but that’s a different topic).

I’m fine with fully refundable hotels; my point was that they should delay hotelpocalypse until CCI has officially decided for sure the con is happening, which they have said may be as late as June (and yes, there’s still a chance it could be pulled after that due to events beyond CCI’s control such as a city order — but if they still have to cancel after that then they will obviously have to refund official block hotel rooms.) None of the above scenarios, I.e. the con getting pulled on preview nite, are going to be made better by an earlier hotel sale.

Edited to add: I also don’t realistically think SDCC would start then get canceled on PN due to one attendee having coronavirus. If that was a possibility then they would have already canceled the event ahead of time.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:34:37 PM by hikanteki »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #432 on: April 05, 2020, 02:39:35 AM »

Pendry, MGH, and other downtown properties are closed.

From Hyatt website, current policy on Special Events Rate reservations and cancellations.  So whatever the Onpeak terms happen to be in effect?

New reservations for any future travel: With some very limited exceptions noted below, reservations you make between April 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020 – for any future arrival date – can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations. The only exceptions are reservations booked after April 1, 2020 at select Destination properties and Special Events Rate reservations booked after April 1, 2020. The cancellation policies for a Special Event Rate will be noted in the rate’s Rate Rules section when booking.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #433 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »
The badge refund deadline is May 13th.  If the hotel sale hasn't happened by April 30th then CCI will get a TON of refund requests is my guess.  And hopefully that will push them to go ahead and cancel.  I'm personally going to hold out as long as possible, so when they do cancel there will hopefully be a choice to roll badges to 2021 (and avoid the 10% refund fee as well).

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #434 on: April 05, 2020, 09:19:14 AM »
Plus when they announce something, it'll allow me to cancel my backup hotel.

Which reminds me...those that have backup hotels already, outside of hotelpocalypse, don't forget to handle them based on whatever info comes out.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"