Author Topic: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?  (Read 63601 times)

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Could CCI cancel SDCC 2020 due to the Coronavirus?
« Reply #375 on: March 24, 2020, 08:41:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Olympics weren't cancelled because they couldn't pull it together logistically it's because countries were starting pull out. Same thing will likely happen to SDCC if they don't proactively cancel, we will see studios, publishers, etc decide to skip.

The number of badge refund requests they get before the deadline of May 13th could influence their decision as well.

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
  • Be kind to others in line
    • Tink the Pug
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #376 on: March 24, 2020, 09:03:36 AM »
If they do not postpone or cancel, then they get to keep all the badge sales and charge fees for refunds. It will be a horrible show.
Being a senior citizen, there is no way in hell I am going in July. They should, at the least, allow full refunds for senior badges. Come on SDCC, show us you really care.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #377 on: Today at 08:44:17 AM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #377 on: March 24, 2020, 09:13:43 AM »
Exactly, the longer they wait the more badge refund requests they'll get.  They keep the 10% fee but I doubt they'll be able to resell all the returns.  And they'll get lots of negative buzz for holding a "lesser" con since lots of studios and vendors will pull out.  But maybe they really want to return to their roots as a comic book convention?

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #378 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »
Exactly, the longer they wait the more badge refund requests they'll get.  They keep the 10% fee but I doubt they'll be able to resell all the returns.  And they'll get lots of negative buzz for holding a "lesser" con since lots of studios and vendors will pull out.  But maybe they really want to return to their roots as a comic book convention?
Perhaps, but why wait for a once-in-a-hundred years pandemic to make a return to roots?  That seems like bad PR.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Online MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
Perhaps, but why wait for a once-in-a-hundred years pandemic to make a return to roots?  That seems like bad PR.
I don’t know who said it during the last recession, but the words were in affect to make sure you don’t waste the opportunity a good crisis presents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2020, 04:54:28 PM »
Yeah I don't like this waiting til June decision either nor the idea of putting on a lesser con. That'll also mean they plan on holding hotel sale sometime in April or May and want us to put down several hundred dollars for hotel deposits. And that'll put us in a spot where we'll try to figure out if we want to spend that much money for a lesser con. There's technically not wrong with their putting on a smaller con with minimal movie and TV panels but that's not worth the badge costs that they charged us. And that's not worth the costs of the super expensive hotel rooms that they want to charge us either.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »
I guess this is a worst case example of the kind of complications that can arise when a convention is cancelled.  Hopefully, this is a one-off unique situation, but also demonstrates why parties sometimes need to wait for certain conditions to be met before they can officially cancel.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2020, 09:08:39 PM »
I guess this is a worst case example of the kind of complications that can arise when a convention is cancelled.  Hopefully, this is a one-off unique situation, but also demonstrates why parties sometimes need to wait for certain conditions to be met before they can officially cancel.

Yikes. Unfortunately. it's probably not the last lawsuit that's going to happen this year surrounding a convention. I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a class-action lawsuit by would-be attendees against one of the cancelled conventions. Heck, I'd be mildly surprised if there wasn't a lawsuit involved if SDCC cancels.

Silicon Valley Comic Con, which is now SiliCon (blech) also uses GrowTix. I guess it's a good thing they've moved it out to October, where it has a good chance of still taking place, but if it were cancelled, I probably wouldn't expect my money back anytime soon.

Offline FlamedLiquid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #383 on: March 24, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »

That sucks but I think sdcc wouldnt have thoaw problems. They successfully refunded for Wondercon afterall.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #384 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:54 PM »
Huh. I didn't realize it would be possible to sue companies that hold conventions like CCI if they do cancel SDCC for good reasons, like for the epidemic crisis. I can understand if people sue them for not giving proper refunds but I didn't realize the opposite could occur.

I go to Silicon Valley Con myself though I haven't bought tix for this year's con yet. It's disturbing to hear GrowTix suddenly becoming shady like this. I hope SiliCon will consider switching to another ticketing service instead.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2020, 12:36:05 AM »
Yeah I don't like this waiting til June decision either nor the idea of putting on a lesser con. That'll also mean they plan on holding hotel sale sometime in April or May and want us to put down several hundred dollars for hotel deposits. And that'll put us in a spot where we'll try to figure out if we want to spend that much money for a lesser con. There's technically not wrong with their putting on a smaller con with minimal movie and TV panels but that's not worth the badge costs that they charged us. And that's not worth the costs of the super expensive hotel rooms that they want to charge us either.

I can't fault them for reserving the right to wait until June to make a decision as so much could change (for the better or for the worse) by then. I guess it's also a risk that we take when we buy badges knowing nothing about the schedule. But regardless, I'm not going to participate in Hotelpocalypse because I don't think there's much value in any of the three scenarios:

A) SDCC gets canceled/postponed. In this case, hotels will be refunded.

B) We get some semblance of SDCC but it's not the usual. Demand will be drastically reduced. In this case, those who book at hotelpocalypse prices with a non-refundable deposit will get shafted, since plenty of hotels will be available for much cheaper closer to the show.

C) Everything gets cleared up and we get a real SDCC. Even then, I don't expect it to be too difficult to get a hotel closer to the show at average prices. Last year it was possible without too much difficulty...and this year it will be easier because even if it goes back to normal, some things will have changed permanently. More people are afraid of large crowds. Less money to go around. Plans that have dropped due to uncertainty may not be able to be picked back up by the time SDCC officially announces it's on. As you can see from the poll...about 1/3 of us aren't keen on going, and we're the diehards.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:31:22 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
I can't fault them for reserving the right to wait until June to make a decision as so much could change (for the better or for the worse) by then. I guess it's also a risk that we take when we buy badges knowing nothing about the schedule. But regardless, I'm not going to participate in Hotelpocalypse because I don't think there's much value in any of the three scenarios:

A) SDCC gets canceled/postponed. In this case, hotels will be refunded.

B) We get some semblance of SDCC but it's not the usual. Demand will be drastically reduced. In this case, those who book at hotelpocalypse prices with a non-refundable deposit will get shafted, since plenty of hotels will be available for much cheaper closer to the show.

C) Everything gets cleared up and we get a real SDCC. Even then, I don't expect it to be too difficult to get something closer to the show at average prices. Last year it was possible without too much difficulty...and this year it will be easier because even if it goes back to normal, some things will have changed permanently. More people are afraid of large crowds. Less money to go around. Plans that have dropped due to uncertainty may not be able to be picked back up by the time SDCC officially announces it's on. As you can see from the poll...about 1/3 of us aren't keen on going, and we're the diehards.

I think we already passed the normal SDCC line, by now we will get option A or B... is it too crazy to think in a fall SDCC?

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2020, 09:20:17 AM »
It would be so much easier to just cancel and use your badges for SDCC2021. Everyone must know that most of the studios and vendors will not be there. Can you actually see LucasFilms, ABC, NBC, CBS All Access, Disney, Marvel, DC, Nick, Hulu, Netflix showing up with a seriously backed up schedule and risking their talent? Also no time to get it together now.

If the show does go on, it will not be worth what it cost to go there. Come on SDCC skip this one.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2020, 09:42:24 AM »
One thing I’ve been curious about over the past few days is if toy manufacturers will still be offering SDCC exclusives (perhaps through the portal) even if there isn’t an SDCC.  Point-of-sale would be online, and products would ship to homes in US addresses.

Most of you know me as an avid collector, but I hope this isn’t the case.  The toys don’t mean a thing without the memories.
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline dcol

• Gaming Lounge
    • Tink the Pug
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2020, 10:07:02 AM »
Companies like Mattel and Hasbro are already setup that way. And the rest of the bigger toy companies already have online portals. So as far as the toys go, the only effect would be the slowdown of production. The people who didn't score an SDCC badge would be very happy.