Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 ****spoilers***  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
Blade Runner 2049 ****spoilers***
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
I did a search for the movie hoping someone started a thread talking about it, but I saw none. (If there is and I missed it, please feel free to move it to the correct thread.)

I went to see the film this past Saturday and I have to admit that I loved it. I loved the cinematography, the storytelling, the overall feel of the movie. I'm pleasantly surprised. The one thing I didn't enjoy was the music. I couldn't tell if it was the sound system that couldn't handle the range of the music, but there as a lot of clipping and it oddly reminded me of the Inception theme. That part was really disappointing because the music from the first movie is what got me hooked. This time around, it was everything else that hooked mean. Kind of weird. ;-)

Did anyone else see the movie? What are your thoughts?

admin modified to add 'spoilers' to the title
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:28:24 AM by alyssa »
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
I"m goign to add ***spoilers*** to the title

I liked the movie & will buy it once it's released to the home market- there's a lot of depth there that needs to be explored- Like Arrival- it's worthy of multible watchings!
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Blade Runner 2049 ****spoilers***
« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:25:17 AM »

Offline jimy

• Gaming Lounge
  • Attending SDCC since 1994
  • Liked: 91
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did a search for the movie hoping someone started a thread talking about it, but I saw none. (If there is and I missed it, please feel free to move it to the correct thread.)

I went to see the film this past Saturday and I have to admit that I loved it. I loved the cinematography, the storytelling, the overall feel of the movie. I'm pleasantly surprised. The one thing I didn't enjoy was the music. I couldn't tell if it was the sound system that couldn't handle the range of the music, but there as a lot of clipping and it oddly reminded me of the Inception theme. That part was really disappointing because the music from the first movie is what got me hooked. This time around, it was everything else that hooked mean. Kind of weird. ;-)

Did anyone else see the movie? What are your thoughts?

Agreed, we saw it this past weekend as well, in IMAX and thought it was awesome. Of course the original (any version) is one of my favorite films of all time. We also agree that the music was sometimes just to overpowering. Really thought that Ryan Gosling did a great job as well as the other two lead female actors, also glad that Harrison Ford was "saved" for the final acts of the film. If you liked the first one, you should definitely go see this one.
I really liked the little nods to the original, i.e. the clear rain coat, the video panning scene, other cameos, all made it that much more special.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
I actually haven't seen it yet. I have jury duty tomorrow so my hope is they won't need me and I can go see a movie instead since work is assuming I'll be unavailable all day. (Lifehack, also kind of a sadhack I guess.) The theater also has it in D-BOX which I've never done before, but it seems like an appropriate way to see it following the Blade Runner 2049 experience at SDCC.

In general, Baby Driver really raised the bar for movie soundtracks in my opinion. I have had a lot of trouble enjoying things like chase scenes in other movies after seeing it.

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Best. Film. Of. The. Year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
I actually haven't seen it yet. I have jury duty tomorrow so my hope is they won't need me and I can go see a movie instead since work is assuming I'll be unavailable all day. (Lifehack, also kind of a sadhack I guess.) The theater also has it in D-BOX which I've never done before, but it seems like an appropriate way to see it following the Blade Runner 2049 experience at SDCC.

In general, Baby Driver really raised the bar for movie soundtracks in my opinion. I have had a lot of trouble enjoying things like chase scenes in other movies after seeing it.
I would hesitate to see it in D-Box. It really isn't an action film. There will be very little D-Boxing.
I'd say see it on the biggest screen possible and just let it soak into your pores.

The Gossamer

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »
Saw this on opening day with some apprehension being a sequel but was rewarded with a great movie on so many levels. The director Denis Villeneuve did a fabulous job and created a movie that is worthy of several viewings to understand the deeper meanings. I think that due to it's R rating and long running time with no big action that the viewership was down and hence low box office earnings. Best movie of the year for me.   

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:53:27 PM »
Agreed, we saw it this past weekend as well, in IMAX and thought it was awesome. Of course the original (any version) is one of my favorite films of all time. We also agree that the music was sometimes just to overpowering. Really thought that Ryan Gosling did a great job as well as the other two lead female actors, also glad that Harrison Ford was "saved" for the final acts of the film. If you liked the first one, you should definitely go see this one.
I really liked the little nods to the original, i.e. the clear rain coat, the video panning scene, other cameos, all made it that much more special.

I agree with everything you said. Remember how I said the score reminded me of Inception? Well, I just looked up the composer. Hans Zimmer did the score for both Blade Runner 2049 and Inception. *smacks forehead*

Saw this on opening day with some apprehension being a sequel but was rewarded with a great movie on so many levels. The director Denis Villeneuve did a fabulous job and created a movie that is worthy of several viewings to understand the deeper meanings. I think that due to it's R rating and long running time with no big action that the viewership was down and hence low box office earnings. Best movie of the year for me.   

I am extremely happy to hear that Villeneuve is a fan of the original film and wanted to create a faithful follow up. He did it and did it well. I'm definitely getting this on Blu-Ray. My questions still went unanswered from the first Final Cut, but I'm not upset about it though.
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 12:51:29 PM »
I would hesitate to see it in D-Box. It really isn't an action film. There will be very little D-Boxing.
I'd say see it on the biggest screen possible and just let it soak into your pores.

Jury duty intervened so didn't get to see it at all. Still a few theaters around here that have it in IMAX, but it looks like a lot of places have given their best screens over to Geostorm. Get to go see Shaun of the Dead tonight at the local Alamo so that's some consolation :)

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 05:26:00 AM »
Here is my review from a couple of weeks ago:

Over thirty years since the original Blade Runner was released. A sequel never looked like happening and finally it has... and it’s pleasing to say it is as good as the original film. In fact, it is a towering colossus of a sequel that has thrown 99% of Sci-Fi movies made in the past ten years in the bin. This is how you make an epic Sci-Fi movie that connects to the past and pushes forward into the future. The blade Runner’s are now fully functioning replicants that know why they are made and that their memories are just stories made by programmers. The film has taken the decades old “Who am I?” A.I. questions and moved it onto the next evolutionary stages which is “Can robots being humans?” or “Do androids dream of electric sheep?” It is a question that is answered in the film but then leaves you with more questions than you came in with. It is a film that demands you pay attention throughout its entire two hours and forty minutes run time and that is no hardship as it is truly mesmerizing. Boil down the central story and it is a police procedural story about a missing child yet there is so much more swirling around it. Multiple storylines intertwine with K’s efforts to find the child and none of them are even remotely less than engrossing. The less you know about the stories going in to the film the more rewarded you will be.
It wouldn’t be a dystopian Sci-fi film if it didn’t have bleak cinematography and Blade Runner 2049 has some of the most clinical looking ever put on camera. There is a cold, hard depressing look to everything and yet there is something almost sexy about its brute Ballardian look and feel. Couple the cinematography with the intense rumbling synth soundtrack that would make Vangelis weep and you have a visual & audible immersive experience that will have you close to orgasm.
Blade Runner 2049 joins that elite club of films that are as good as/if not better than their predecessors. Denis Villeneuve — I salute you, for you have made one of the best Sci-Fi movies of modern times.