Author Topic: FoCC Hotel Exchange 2019  (Read 19932 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: FoCC Hotel Exchange 2019
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »
You make an excellent point Poggledoo. There are ALWAYS hotel rooms available, even at the last minute. No matter what, everyone WILL have a room for Comic Con.

Offline Warren

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
Thanks again for organizing and managing.  We'll see if the lottery gods are favorable.  Some years I've been able to contribute rooms, some years not.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 02:45:25 PM »

Offline darnvader

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 07:37:19 PM »
I understand why it’s being done this way, but I gotta say I’m a little disappointed that post count is the determining factor for being allowed to participate, rather than the substantive contributions that many of us have made in badge sales, previous hotel exchanges and parking (every year since 2013 in my case).

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2019, 09:09:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I understand why it’s being done this way, but I gotta say I’m a little disappointed that post count is the determining factor for being allowed to participate, rather than the substantive contributions that many of us have made in badge sales, previous hotel exchanges and parking (every year since 2013 in my case).

Thank you for your feedback, Darnvader. I am sorry that you were not eligible. I hope that you will still enjoy all of the other informational resources FoCC has to offer regarding SDCC.

The parking exchange will be open to everyone.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:57:12 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2019, 10:38:24 AM »
To reiterate TJ, thanks for the feedback.  To clarify, post count was not a soul determining factor in who got access to the hotel exchange.  There were a number of factors based on forum participation.  So be active, but don't think you need to inflate your post count to be considered an active member of the community.

Offline Champagne87

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
Indeed!

A major thank you to all!
Is the hotel exchange form closed.fornme to participate? If.not, where is the  kink?

Offline darnvader

• Freebie Table
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 11:40:16 AM »
To reiterate TJ, thanks for the feedback.  To clarify, post count was not a soul determining factor in who got access to the hotel exchange.  There were a number of factors based on forum participation.  So be active, but don't think you need to inflate your post count to be considered an active member of the community.

Thanks to both of you for replying.  To be clear, I'm not asking you to make me eligible this year, as I understand that you have to be consistent with whatever factors you've chosen for eligibility.

I would point out my actual contributions to this community though.  Just including myself and my wife (and not the very productive subgroup I brought into this community):

2015:
<per request of Buying Group leaders, i am removing information abt buying groups- admin alyssa>
Provided Hilton Bayfront Hotel Room to group member

2016:
<per request of Buying Group leaders, i am removing information abt buying groups- admin alyssa>
Received Hotel Z reservation from group member
Provided all kinds of NerdHQ tickets that I don't care to research right now to group members, and received some in return.

2017:
Provided Group 1 parking pass to group member

2018:

2019:

I think it's hard to argue that I haven't been a substantial net-positive to the community.   When you say "I hope that you will still enjoy all of the other informational resources FoCC has to offer regarding SDCC", I think the bigger concern should be "I hope that you will continue to make substantial contributions to the community, notwithstanding being excluded from this particular exchange."  And of course I will, but I ask that you please reconsider this policy for future years.

[start Note from admin alyssa:]
While we do encourage folks to share with in their buying groups we do try and keep what goes on in buying group in their specific groups.  kinda like what happens in Vegus stays in Vegus....  But those transactions between group members are not on the forum in general.
Be assured we would love nothing more then to ease up on the restriction!![end]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:19:31 PM by alyssa »

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 12:19:33 PM »
Is the hotel exchange form closed.fornme to participate? If.not, where is the  kink?

I apologize that you did not qualify for the exchange at this time.  The list has already been determined.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2019, 12:35:22 PM »
Darnvader, if sounds as if while you are not active on the forums, you have been active in your buying group. I know that many of the buying groups often help each other during hotels and with other aspects of the SDCC experience. You may wish to contact your buying group leader and see if they are offering a small hotel exchange within the buying group. That would be a way for you to participate in an exchange with the people who know you best.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »
Please note that buying group stats were not factored into the determination.  We appreciate everyone in the buying groups, all the data is stored outside the forum by group leaders and is not shared on the forum.  This is done due to the sensitive information involved in the sale and to maintain privacy for those involved. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline darnvader

• Freebie Table
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »

Thanks, [member=1]alyssa[/member].  All totally fair.  I appreciate all of the time and effort you all put into organizing everything.   It's also good to know going forward that there is a distinction between buying group activity and larger forum activity.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:46:12 PM by alyssa »

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »
[start Note from admin alyssa:]
While we do encourage folks to share with in their buying groups we do try and keep what goes on in buying group in their specific groups.  kinda like what happens in Vegus stays in Vegus....  But those transactions between group members are not on the forum in general.
Be assured we would love nothing more then to ease up on the restriction!![end]

I have to admit I don't want to ease up, if anything I want to put more in place!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:39:28 PM by NCDS »
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline SGormley

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
I am not a part of the exchange this year and my husband and I are not sweating it. We have a backup hotel already so if we don’t get anything in the sale we are set. :)

For us where we stay is only a small part of the experience of SDCC. Being able to see all of our friends we have made over the years is what makes the trip to SDCC worth it. :)

Sure it is nice to stay downtown but we are happy to just be going back this year! :)
C2E2  2019
DragonCon  2013, 2015
Fan Expo Canada  2014, 2018
Heroes and Villains FanFest Chicago  2018, 2019
Motor City Comic Con  2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
SDCC  2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Team Coco House  2018

Offline jasperthecactus

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
I understand that I am not eligible this year, but I would love to understand a little bit better what factors were considered in determining who is an active forum member. Other than post count, how can I demonstrate being an active member? I have gone to meetups at the con, donated funds, given away rooms in several previous exchanges, and been a member since 2015. Should I just post more? Or are there other things I can do?

I want to express that this is not meant as a complaint or criticism–––I am SO very appreciative of all that the volunteers and mods do! I just want to be a better forum member and wonder how I can do that outside of just posting a ton. I want to give back to this forum that I have learned so much from over the years.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019
ECCC: 2018, 2019
RCCC: 2018

“I am, and always will be, the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes, and the dreamer of improbable dreams.”

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
I understand that I am not eligible this year, but I would love to understand a little bit better what factors were considered in determining who is an active forum member. Other than post count, how can I demonstrate being an active member? I have gone to meetups at the con, donated funds, given away rooms in several previous exchanges, and been a member since 2015. Should I just post more? Or are there other things I can do?

I want to express that this is not meant as a complaint or criticism–––I am SO very appreciative of all that the volunteers and mods do! I just want to be a better forum member and wonder how I can do that outside of just posting a ton. I want to give back to this forum that I have learned so much from over the years.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

We do not have a set list of criteria for members who were part of the forum.  Post count was not the only deciding factor.  Members who have contributed in a meaningful way in other forum projects have also been included.  Additionally, some members with high post counts were not included.

Additionally, the same people running it this year will not be running it next year.  Next year's team may have different requirements, or no requirements at all.  This was only for this year's group of volunteers.