Author Topic: Useful items to take to SDCC  (Read 153910 times)

Offline Car_Low

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 610
Re: Useful items to take to SDCC
« Reply #540 on: June 07, 2023, 11:14:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Does anyone have a picture of a lanyard/badge that you used tape to reinforce?  Is it recommended to tape over the clip?

If you want piece of mind you can tape it but I've never had a problem with leaving it as is and the opening makes for a convenient pocket to store stuff like tickets for the refurbishment room.

Offline lliving

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 173
« Reply #541 on: June 07, 2023, 06:28:47 PM »
Small umbrella is good to keep the sun off your head while waiting in line outdoors during the day.

Sent from my using

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #542 on: Today at 09:15:53 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #542 on: June 08, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of a lanyard/badge that you used tape to reinforce?  Is it recommended to tape over the clip?
I've never felt the need to take over the clip; in 20+ Comic-Cons & numerous WonderCons I've never had any issues - neither have my kids (I currently have an 8 year old, and my now 21 year old has also been attending SDCC now for 15 or more years).  The plastic that connects to the lanyard is sturdier than it may appear in pictures, and as long as you're even slightly careful while handling it there shouldn't be any problems.
I'm almost surprised to realize there have been zero problems over years, including years I wandered the Exhibit Hall with a very grabby baby!

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #543 on: June 08, 2023, 02:30:23 PM »

If anything, I will attach a second landyard if I get one that looks cool. Otherwise, you should be ok.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #544 on: June 08, 2023, 05:36:04 PM »
In the first years when they started using badge holders the plastic was thinner and I had one start to tear. After that I'd reinforce them with tape, but I stopped doing that years ago with no problems.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 137
« Reply #545 on: June 13, 2023, 11:26:17 AM »
A couple of things I decided I can't live without. First of all, I cannot sleep at night without some kind of fan noise but obvs bringing a fan isn't practical so I found this thing:

And then my feet are a wreck from 28 years in the military. Plantar fasciitis is awful. So I got these to keep in the fridge at the hotel for the end of the day:

:drinking24:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 08:40:32 AM by Wkdbriss »

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #546 on: June 13, 2023, 11:36:24 AM »
Second link is the same as the first (ie the sound machine). Can you post the second link again? I'm always down to learn about a fellow con goer's remedy for sore, end-of-day feet.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #547 on: June 13, 2023, 11:41:22 AM »
Whoops! Here's the right link to the foot wraps:

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #548 on: June 13, 2023, 11:47:15 AM »
Those look great, thanks for the suggestion! Might have to try those out. I'm currently in the market for an upgraded walking shoe for SDCC as well. Ryka changed their sneaker design and they're just not cutting it anymore.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #549 on: June 13, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »
The struggle is real. I've tried every high end shoe on the market. I can't do the On Cloud shoes and I'vetried Brooks, Asics (both okay)  Adidas etc. I really like Hoka's and the Puma's running shoe with Softfoam+ is exceptional. I overpronate when I run so I need a shoe with stability but I also want it to be cushy.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2023, 08:51:21 AM »
Follow up for all of my people with bad feet. These were a total game changer. I would come back after being on my feet all day, take these out of the fridge and put them on. They felt so good on my sore arches.

And then I discovered these goofy looking things recently. I wear them for about 30 mins or so and they stretch your toes and your feet feel so much better afterwards. They’re not super comfortable the first couple of times you wear them, but after you take them off…WOW!

Finally this seat cushion will save your behind while you’re sitting on those hard chairs in Hall H. Or you could even use it to sit on the ground instead of carrying a chair if you’re nimble enough to get off the ground. It fits nicely in a backpack since it folds in half.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #551 on: November 20, 2023, 05:29:10 PM »
[cut by Iris a bit for brevity's sake]

Finally this seat cushion will save your behind while you’re sitting on those hard chairs in Hall H. Or you could even use it to sit on the ground instead of carrying a chair if you’re nimble enough to get off the ground. It fits nicely in a backpack since it folds in half.

I absolutely second a cushion for if you'll be in those stupid chairs all day or if you're just sitting anywhere for an extended time period. Can't speak as to the one they posted, but years and years ago I took a memory foam cushion meant to be used with walkers from the pharmacy and cut it to a smaller size as those seats are pretty small comparatively to the OG cushion. Then I made a cushion cover out of a waterproof or water resistant (can't remember which) fabric of a pattern I loved for easier cleanup for if I wanted to use it in line outside or something got on it during its rare usage. Game changer tbh. I still have it, but I don't always bring it the years we're not planning to do Hall H etc.

I might have to try out one or both of the foot things you posted. My feet shape hate all shoes, so absolutely no shoes are ever comfortable and during the con my feet are often screaming at me lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 05:31:33 PM by Iris »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Wkdbriss

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #552 on: November 20, 2023, 08:26:17 PM »
Yeah my feet are wrecked and almost every shoe I wear causes pain. I've started buying wide shoes which helps some. At this point it's not whether my feet will hurt, it's how do I recover after abusing them all day.

Offline Rubylyon

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #553 on: January 16, 2024, 10:43:44 AM »
 Some times you have to remove badge to be scanned, taped doesn’t work well with that. I usually pin (very large pin)to secure it.
Also the plastic sometimes rips and I go thru the badge and upward thru clip.