Author Topic: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture  (Read 78094 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: Comic-Con Center for Popular Culture
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
Out of the blue, I got a package from San Diego today containing a ComicCon Museum lanyard and pin.
The lanyard is nice, but it won't replace my FoCC lanyards.  ;)

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »
Cool!  N :)ice to get surprise gifts like this...
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Comic-Con Museum, Center for Popular Culture
« Reply #92 on: Today at 02:51:28 PM »

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Big news coming! Tune in at 4:30 pm pst to @Roland_US livestream straight from @NAMMShow in Anaheim. Click the link below! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
Big news yesterday out of NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) winter show in Anaheim.

The big news was rolled out at the Roland panel.  Roland is one of the top electronic music manufacturers in the world, producing top-quality synths, sound boards/mixers, speakers & PA systems, digital programming stuff, electric drums, etc.  As a musician and music teacher I utilize their stuff on a regular basis and it's great gear!

Anyway, skipping past the unintentional commercial...

Roland announced that they are in a partnership with the Comic-Con Museum.  They didn't announce in what capacity, but an obvious guess would be necessary sound gear throughout the museum.  I've been told that there will be plenty of interactive exhibits and it makes sense to utilize some or Roland's audio technology.  I sincerely doubt this will be the last splashy partnership announced between now and when the Museum opens.  Speaking of....

Adam Smith, Comic-Con Museum Director, casually dropped that the Comic-Con Museum's target opening in May 2021.  I might've missed if this was previously formally, officially announced so maybe that's old news.  I'd heard "sometime before Comic-Con 2021" and even "spring 2021" but this was the first time I've heard a target month.  I know they'll stop hosting events there in October, when they'll need to close down and start gutting the inside/constructing the museum (knock on wood: assuming they have all the funding secure by then).

Fun Times ahead!!  I know I'm biased for a couple of different reasons, not the least of which is the fact that I'm a San Diego resident and can enjoy the Museum all year long.  But this is such a great development for CCI, and for all the people who 1) want to keep their SDCCI fix going all year long and 2) people who can't get a badge, are maybe intimidated by the ginormous event and don't want to brave the craziness, etc.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2019, 08:34:05 PM »
Another comic-con museum event.  It filled up quickly but they added a morning session.  Sign up while you still can.  It's free.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
comicconmuseum Our Executive Director Adam Smith introduces veteran Disney comic writers Patrick and Shelly Block. This magical program is giving the audience an opportunity to create a genuine Donald Duck comics story!

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »

I had tix to this but life kinda got in my way (wife outta town; both of my sons had birthday parties; parents flying in from OH).  I was able to give them to a friend that utilized them at least.

How was the event?

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2019, 07:31:35 PM »
I had tix to this but life kinda got in my way (wife outta town; both of my sons had birthday parties; parents flying in from OH).  I was able to give them to a friend that utilized them at least.

How was the event?

It was awesome. To see the people who make Donald Duck classic was a treat. It's amazing how fast he can draw. Other artists were impressed how much detail he put in so quickly. He kept saying these were rough scribbles, but they looked pretty fleshed out to me. He even drew out an impressive panel saying there was 5 minutes left before it started. Only took him a couple of minutes to do.

The only disappointment was the attendance. Another comic-con event, another lackluster attendance. It seems outside of the full convention, people just aren't that interested in comic-con activities. Which is a shame. I want there to be runaway interest for personal reasons. I want them to keep putting these things on. The morning session was only about a quarter full. The whole reason for the morning session was because the afternoon session sold out. While there were many more people in the afternoon session, there were still empty seats. So Adam invited people to stay from the morning session.

I hope they put on more of these and that these are a taste of what's to come with the museum. It was basically a standalone comic-con panel. From this and other events, I see that there are already comic-con museum volunteers. Those people are lucky. I asked at another event how to become one and was told to wait for the general call in a year or two.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
3/16, 10am-4pm
3/23, 10am-4pm

2019 marks Comic-Con's 50th event, making it the longest continuously-run comics and pop culture convention in North America. Over the past 50 years, Comic-Con has produced a series of program books (often referred to as the show's Souvenir Book) for each year's event. The covers of these books are a veritable who's-who of comic art. From Jack Kirby to Bruce Timm - and with talent as diverse as Dave McKean, Moebius, Steranko, Babs Tarr, and many more in between - Comic-Con's five-decade history of celebrating comics is front and center on the covers of these publications.

In the future home of the Comic-Con museum, "Cover Story: The art of Comic-Con 50" explores the first 50 years of Comic-Con covers through striking examples of original art and process pieces that explore the creation of a cover, from thumbnail sketches to pencil and ink art to full-colored finished pieces. Drawing from Comic-Con's archives, the exhibition features art as an integral tool in promoting the organization's mission of creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular art-forms.

Bring the kids and have them create their own Comic-Con cover with our special Souvenir Book cover template! Some of these sure-to-be masterpieces will be posted in the Museum during the show (or you can take yours home with you).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:58:21 PM by AzT »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2019, 06:38:32 PM »
3/16, 10am-4pm
3/23, 10am-4pm

I was wondering why I didn't get email about this.  Then I checked my email.  There it is. ;)

In the email they also say that comic-con museum will have a table at comic fest this week.  Nice.

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:03 AM »
I just posted a write up about the Cover Art exhibit gala opening. I encourage everyone who's in town to stop by on Saturday the 23rd. I believe it will be open on future dates also. Free and open to the public.

I really enjoyed seeing comic art treated as in a professional manner- a real treat.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »

Description

Led by SDSU Professor Dr. Elizabeth Pollard and Film Geek Beth Accomando, this program takes place over two nights timed to coincide with the ancient European festival called Witches' Night. An illustrated lecture on April 30 will explore pop culture's deep relationship with witches and witchcraft. The following evening (May 1) will be a screening and post-film discussion of The Witch: A New England Folk Tale.

Witches’ Night Part 1. April 30. Doors at 7pm, Program Begins at 7:30pm

Witches’ Night: An Exploration of Witches in Pop Culture. Presented by Dr. Elizabeth Pollard and moderated by Beth Accomando, the lecture will explore the historical and cultural context in which witches are portrayed in pop culture. A variety of different perspectives will be presented, from the Wizard of Oz and Monty Python, to Agatha Prederghast and Rosemary's Baby.

Witches’ Night Part 2. May 1. Doors at 7pm, Program Begins at 7:30pm

The Witch: A New England Folk Tale. (2015, Rated R). A screening and post film discussion of this exquisitely made horror film identified by its director as a "Puritan nightmare". Age-old concepts of witchcraft, black magic and possession are brought together to tell the riveting story of one family's frightful unraveling in the New England wilderness.

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »

Description

Led by SDSU Professor Dr. Elizabeth Pollard and Film Geek Beth Accomando, this program takes place over two nights timed to coincide with the ancient European festival called Witches' Night. An illustrated lecture on April 30 will explore pop culture's deep relationship with witches and witchcraft. The following evening (May 1) will be a screening and post-film discussion of The Witch: A New England Folk Tale.

Witches’ Night Part 1. April 30. Doors at 7pm, Program Begins at 7:30pm

Witches’ Night: An Exploration of Witches in Pop Culture. Presented by Dr. Elizabeth Pollard and moderated by Beth Accomando, the lecture will explore the historical and cultural context in which witches are portrayed in pop culture. A variety of different perspectives will be presented, from the Wizard of Oz and Monty Python, to Agatha Prederghast and Rosemary's Baby.

Witches’ Night Part 2. May 1. Doors at 7pm, Program Begins at 7:30pm

The Witch: A New England Folk Tale. (2015, Rated R). A screening and post film discussion of this exquisitely made horror film identified by its director as a "Puritan nightmare". Age-old concepts of witchcraft, black magic and possession are brought together to tell the riveting story of one family's frightful unraveling in the New England wilderness.

Wow this really makes me wish I lived in SD, because I'd love to see these.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2019, 07:47:08 PM »
Wow this really makes me wish I lived in SD, because I'd love to see these.
i am major bummed that i can't go on tuesday...... maybe if i skip class... ;0